Different temps on different boxes

• Hi,

So i got a mini m8s II and a nexbox A95X.

The nexbox is around 65c with 5c up and down.
    The mini m8s on the other hand is around 50c stable.

Is the ventilation on the m8s that much better or is the readings wrong?

• How are you getting the temperatures? Via #cputemp?
    You have to bear in mind where the different sensors are located on the die. Some have one per core, others a single sensor.

To be sure, you'll need to use an external temperature gauge on the actual CPU. (or use the cheaper equivalent of the human finger (Do not try this at home health and safety warning))

• Thx for answers

I think irdium hit the head on the nail, did a thermal check with ir gun, and the cases is the same temp roughly on both boxes (nexbox a few degrees warmer due to the smaller formfactor i guess ) im guessing it depends on the sensor placement. I thought amlogic themself put the sensor in the chip and it whould be in the same place on all s905x.

The upsidedown placement of the board isnt anything to worry about, the ventilation holes in the bottom works well. The m8s dont have ventholes so i guess its a nice compromise.

Edited once, last by charlie (January 6, 2017 at 9:13 AM).

• Nexbox has the board UPSIDE Down within the casing.
    That to me is a bad design due to the fact that Heat Rises.
    The casing is also smaller than other boxes.

Users often misinterpret the function of cooling to be making their box/device run cool, or as cool as possible, which is never the [sic] case. In reality the main objective is ensuring a safe operating temperature range. As long as cooling holes do this, the objective is reached. Holes on the bottom generally result in lower levels of dust ingression to the device and avoid the opportunity for liquid spill damage so in most consumer products would be preferred to holes/vents on the sides or top.

• Users often misinterpret the function of cooling to be making their box/device run cool, or as cool as possible, which is never the [sic] case. In reality the main objective is ensuring a safe operating temperature range. As long as cooling holes do this, the objective is reached. Holes on the bottom generally result in lower levels of dust ingression to the device and avoid the opportunity for liquid spill damage so in most consumer products would be preferred to holes/vents on the sides or top.

Do you or anyone else know the max temp before throttle kicks in?

• I'll borrow this thread for asking:
    On which temperature does the thermostat come up on the screen? 75c?
    How to raise that to something like 85c or disable that thing altogether?
    I have been getting that high temp recently even with heatsinks and oc with the case top cover not closed fully.
    Or is there some bug in the recent few alpha builds?

• The S905 Nexbox A95x runs super hot. I flipped mine upside-down and put some rubber feet on what would have originally been the top of the box. Now it warm to the touch, but not as hot as it used to be.