Tvheadend nightly builds for LE

• what are you using to be spawned ?

if using ffmpeg with logs activated, you can inspect the journal to understand why it stopped

On rpi it just works for few minutes then it just stops

Code
    [  ERROR] spawn: Exiting normally, received signal 15.

when it works it works fine no buffering or any issues

• what are you using to be spawned ?

if using ffmpeg with logs activated, you can inspect the journal to understand why it stopped

Hi..just using a tiny script 1 liner with ffmpeg input pipe:0 output pipe:1

Anyway I test it it always stops...sometimes after 10 min and sometimes less...while it's playing it's fine...no buffering or anything..

Log is here maybe you have an idea what's failing..I m suspecting it's a cpu issue...tried everything in ffmpeg command..setting cpu threads,buffer etc..

• I was just asking the question because if TVheadend development has stopped then at some point we will have to migrate to something. I think all the backends are complicated when it comes to configuring them. If you have never seen tvheadend before and was asked to set it up it would take a long time to figure it all out. Anyway like I said I was just throwing the question out their as at the moment TVHeadend appears to be a dead project.

Have you tried nextpvr? not sure if it's any good or not but it seems to be actively supported. Maybe somebody here knows if it's any good or not.

• Didn't even know it existes for LibreElec..always tought that it was a windows only thinghy..

look here

I did see on their website that linux was supported. I haven't got a spare box to try it out on at the moment, I wont want to potentially break my working setup haha. Be awesome if it was available via the repositories.

- Just had another read through the website and I dont see any source code so I think its closed source

Edited 2 times, last by the_mouse (April 14, 2021 at 8:50 AM).

• Have you tried nextpvr? not sure if it's any good or not but it seems to be actively supported. Maybe somebody here knows if it's any good or not.

I tried it, and managed to get the DVB-T tuner working through docker and everything seemed really good, a lot better then the previous versions I had tried. I installed it on a bootable USB stick so I can test new releases without messing up my main boot drive.

Then I noticed that there was some mention of nextpvr not being able to wake from suspend to record in linux:

Wake on suspend for recording (nextpvr.com)

As I use suspend all the time I didn't look into it further, and I'm a newbie to linux so don't have the knowledge to even know if there is a workaround for this.

• Have you tried nextpvr? not sure if it's any good or not but it seems to be actively supported. Maybe somebody here knows if it's any good or not.

I've tried nextpvr in my RPi4 with libreelec.

As i have docker installed is wuite easy, just need to add privileges and devi /dev/dvb/adapter0, and adjust directories.
    But ...... NEXTPVR fails the transcoding in RPI devices.

AND ... does not support encrypted channels.

Tvheadend, even with not much updates in the past years is still the best pvr backend.

TRANSCODING WITH TVHEADEND AND FFMPEG

About some issues, some people asked some threads above, regarding transcoding with tvheadend.

I use tvheadend nighlty build (4.3 beta) which support spawning.

I'm using ffmpeg compiled with omx installed in libreelec.

for reference I share my ffmpeg transcoding for tvheanded.

I call it "transcode-omx". It uses about 60% of RPi4 total performance:

Code
    {path_ffmpeg}/ffmpeg -loglevel quiet -i pipe:0  -vf scale=640:360 -vcodec h264_omx -vb 512k -bufsize 2048k -g 100 -af "aresample=async=1:first_pts=0" -acodec aac -ab 128k -f mpegts pipe:1

Just add-it "configuration/ stream" in tvheaded webui.

some additional tweaks I use for it in the attached picture.

This configuration summary:

• codec omx from Raspberry Pi hardware
    • output video 640x360,
    • ar 16:9
    • video bitrate 512 kbps
    • audio bitrate 128 kbps
    • audio resync (to handle some drop frames that could happen during reception of channels).

This profile is great for watching tv channels in a rmeote smartphone connected to tvheadend running in libreelec.

This profile can also be applied to record programmes with lower bitrates

Edited once, last by nvdias: Merged a post created by nvdias into this post. (April 14, 2021 at 4:05 PM).

• Gonna try your command...you have some code I never tryed before..

what is this for?

Code
    -g 100 -af "aresample=async=1:first_pts=0"

Still stopping on my setup..max it plays is 10 minutes...are you using FFMPEG addon from Libreelec repo?

• Gonna try your command...you have some code I never tryed before..

what is this for?

Code
    -g 100 -af "aresample=async=1:first_pts=0"

Still stopping on my setup..max it plays is 10 minutes...are you using FFMPEG addon from Libreelec repo?

Your 10 mins, might be a memory problem.

I am not using ffmpeg from libreelec. I've made a ffmpeg compilation with omx serving nginx server for live web transcoding of recordings - I might share it in the forum but I do not believe that is the issue.

-g 100 is the GOP length. 100 is recommended for mpeg streams.

-af "aresample=async=1:first_pts=0", helps audio resampling when there are interruptions in tv reception and solving audio de-syncs.

-bufsize 2048k increases the buffer size to help again handling interruptions in reception.

These had been very helpfull for me in receiving steady streams.

• For your tests I suggest you use an unencrypted channel.
    • Also confirm you have a good cable connection (of course).
    • And depending in your device, as I have a Raspberry Pi4 with 4GB, I have dedicated 512 KB to the GPU, which has been helpfull in timeshift buffering and fast-forward and rewiding recordings (gpu_mem=512 in /flash/config.txt)
    • About timeshift, i only use RAM for timeshift, never disk, which also increases stability, as less disk access when watching tv.
  • I don t think it s a memory issue

Code
    3869 root      20   0  188108  19440  11028 R  72.8   2.5   0:48.82 ffmpeg
      260 root      20   0  267604  83280   5792 S   6.0  10.9  35:05.70 tvheadend

Memory usage is low...cpu usage is high at ffmpeg but not bad..

I tried all 4 available ffmpeg versions for rpi 3 from repo..so either it s another issue or they all have same issue..they all have omx support..

Tonight I tried libx264 from another built...to test and same issue..and altough it was not built for rpi it s still watchable...cpu full blast tough..still stops after a while

• hi I am a long time user of Libreelec x86_64 and use TVheadend for TV tuner, I have just upgraded to Libreelec Matrix 10, ufortunately can not access the TVheadend server to configure the tuners from an external pc. It seems I cant access port 9981, the network address to libreelec is ok. Am I missing something, can anyone help?

• you should remove all tvheadend server first

This shouldn't be necessary, AFAIK it should be enough to disable Tvheadend Server 4.2 Add-on and install and enable Tvheadend Server 4.3 Add-on instead.

At least on my RPi 4B this works and it's possible to switch between Tvheadend servers 4.3 / 4.2 "online".

• Hi I have tried both 4.2 and 4.3 in all combinations and neither can be accessed. I have done this many times with the earlier releases of Libreelec?

ps. it works fine with Libreelec 9.2.6, also I can't go back to this as I have purchase new hardware, the new GPU is not supported by 9.2.6 not 10?

ps2. sorry typo, GPU works with Librelec 10

Edited 2 times, last by keka1234: Merged a post created by keka1234 into this post. (April 16, 2021 at 9:56 PM).

• hi I am a long time user of Libreelec x86_64 and use TVheadend for TV tuner, I have just upgraded to Libreelec Matrix 10, ufortunately can not access the TVheadend server to configure the tuners from an external pc. It seems I cant access port 9981, the network address to libreelec is ok. Am I missing something, can anyone help?

Hi I have tried both 4.2 and 4.3 in all combinations and neither can be accessed. I have done this many times with the earlier releases of Libreelec?

ps. it works fine with Libreelec 9.2.6, also I can't go back to this as I have purchase new hardware, the new GPU is not supported by 9.2.6 not 10?

ps2. sorry typo, GPU works with Librelec 10

Hello keka1234,

I had the same issue as you are describing when I started with LibreELEC 10 Beta (9.95.1) and installing TVHeadEnd server and HTSP Client. I would install the TVHeadEnd Server and TVHeadEnd HTSP client after installing LibreELEC on a 16 GB USB 3.0 flash drive. I believe the addons came from .zip files, rather than a repository as TVHeadEnd Server and HTSP client were not yet in the default repositories when I tried my LibreELEC 10 Beta install (but that detail is a bit fuzzy in my mind now).

And after the installation of TVHeadEnd Server and HTSP client, I would try to connect via a web browser and would be unable to connect via "http:<ipaddress:9981>". I rebooted my device, which happens to be a Raspi 4-8GB (not the same as your x86_x64 hardware, I know), and I still wasn't able to connect to configure the TVHeadEnd addon to receive TV.

Then I found this prior thread/post here: RE: TVH not working.

Bottom Line: Have you tried to to disable both TVHeadEnd server and HTSP client, and then re-enable them both again. When I did this, it worked for me, and it worked for the user in the thread mentioned in the prior paragraph. A reboot of my Raspi 4 DID NOT allow me to connect, but a disable/enable cycle did allow me to connect. And I've been able to connect ever since.

I know you said you have tried all combinations to be able to connect, so you may already have tried to disable/enable the TVHeadEnd addons once they are installed, and this didn't help you. But I mention it here in case you hadn't thought to try this. I remember uninstalling and installing multiple times, and rebooting multiple times, but I hadn't tried disabling/enabling the addons under

"Add-ons" => "My add-ons" => "Services" => "Tvheadend..." => "Disable" and

"Add-ons" => "My add-ons" => "PVR Clients" => "TVHeadend HTSP Client" => "Disable", then

"Add-ons" => "My add-ons" => "Services" => "Tvheadend..." => "Enable" and

"Add-ons" => "My add-ons" => "PVR Clients" => "TVHeadend HTSP Client" => "Enable"

before I read the post I mentioned above. My recollection is that it has not been necessary to use this disable/enable technique in LibreELEC 9.2.6 (another reason not to think to do this).

My apologies if this does not help you.

Good Luck!