Posts by steveslim

Hello,

I have a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B+ and installed LibreElec 10.0.2. Initial setup went fine up until I went to enter my wifi password and rather than there be special characters such as !,@,#,$,%,^,&,*, instead I had what looked like weird Greek alphabet letters or some other language. This happens anytime I have to use the keyboard, so it seems to be a bug with the language layout or something?

Also, the website https://libreelec.tv/downloads/raspberry/ currently has the link for Rpi2 download under Raspberry Pi 3.

Hello pi2user,

I think you'll find the "special characters" you're looking for by selecting the [shift] key (the "UP" arrow key) on the virtual keyboard instead of the "special characters" key on that keyboard. Here's a screenshot which may help . . .

The "Greek alphabet characters" you're seeing display on the virtual keyboard when you select the [special characters] key on this virtual keyboard. I also thought the special characters would be found by selecting that [special characters] key on this keyboard, when I keyed in my WiFi password, but selecting the [shift] key instead when lower case characters were displayed on this virtual keyboard gave me the characters I was looking for as well as the upper case alphabetic characters.

Also, I believe that the LibreELEC image files for the Raspi 2 and Raspi 3 are the same and the filename for that image file includes "RPi2" in the filename even though it IS for both the Raspi 2 and Raspi 3. The picture of the LibreELEC USB-SD Creator screen on the Downloads page here: https://libreelec.tv/downloads/ does show that the image is the same for the Raspi 2 and Raspi 3 image. I've repeated that screenshot here as well:

I hope you can now find your needed "special characters" for your WiFi password.

Hi, the tuner is Hauppauge "WinTV-HVR-2200 DVB-T Multi-PAL 89619 Rev D1F2. It is a high quality Pci card dual tuner that worked with LibreELEC 9.2.6. I remember some time ago when moving from Kodi Krypton to Leia it was not in the driver library however then added, possibly this is the case again?

I can have a go at the "journalctl | paste" later.

typo: the card is PCI-e

Hello again,

Thanks for clarifying the name and model of your Hauppauge TV tuner hardware, and that it's connected via PCI-e rather than via USB. I'm unable to help any further since how to "fix" this issue is beyond my expertise. Your theory about needing drivers added somehow is likely correct (in my inexperienced opinion).

I do encourage you to post again with a link to a journalctl | paste as part of the info you provide. The more info you can provide, the easier support can be provided to you. One thing that I didn't mention about the command earlier (and should have) is that you should restart your LibreELEC computer and then log in via SSH to run the command about 60 seconds after the reboot is finished. At least this is what was suggested in this post: RE: Tvheadend doesn't see quadHD-USB tuner.

For whatever it's worth, I have another Hauppauge USB TV tuner that does not work in any version of LibreELEC right now. I asked about getting this tuner to work in LibreELEC, and I did receive helpful responses about possibly making it work eventually in later kernels. That thread is here FYI: Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD USB not recognized in TVHeadEnd on RPi4-8GB. Your issue may or may not be solved as mine will be, or perhaps because it did work on earlier versions of LibreELEC, it will be simpler and/or faster to get your tuner working compared to mine.

I will bow out now, and I expect that someone else will be able to advise you further about getting your PCI-e Hauppauge "WinTV-HVR-2200 DVB-T Multi-PAL 89619 Rev D1F2" to work in LibreELEC 10.

Hi, many thanks, it works, I can now access the Server however have another problem. My Hauppauge tuner is not showing up in the tuner list?

Hello again keka1234,

I'm glad you're connected to TvHeadEnd (TVH) Server now.

I'm fairly certain that I`'m not going be able to help too much with why you don't see your Hauppauge TV tuner hardware in the TVH Server tuners tab except to give you the following information:

(1)The developers/moderators are going to want to know what model of Hauppauge TV tuner hardware you are trying to use, and

(2) They're going to want to see the output from:

journalctl | paste

If you've never done this, you log into your computer running LibreELEC via SSH (using a SSH client like PUTTY on a Windows machine) and at the console prompt that appears, type the command

journalctl | paste

The response will be a weblink which you should post in the next message you post in this thread.

The odd thing is that if your Hauppauge TV tuner hardware worked in LibreELEC 9.2.6 (as I think you said it did in your earlier posts in this thread), then I cannot explain why it doesn't show up in TVH server tuners tab as well in LibreELEC 10 Beta (9.95). Are you using the TVH Server addon available in the LibreELEC 10 Beta repository now? I need to be very careful in what I suggest to you at this point because I am no expert in TVHeadEnd or Hauppauge TV tuners or even LibreELEC itself, and Linux commands in general.

Please take the rest of this message with "a grain of salt" because I may be leading you astray.

(1) Any possibility your Hauppauge TV tuner is suffering from a lack of power? I assume it is connected to your computer running LibreELEC via USB? My Raspi 4 may not provide enough power to run my Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD USB tuner (model 1595) directly from either a USB 3.0 or 2.0 port on the Raspi itself, so I've connected it to a powered USB hub which is connected to my Raspi. I know you're running a x86_x64 version of LibreELEC on different hardware. Probably the journalctl | paste output will let someone know if the TV tuner IS being seen at all by LibreELEC. And I wonder if running the TV tuner using LibreELEC 9.2.6 would not have power issues, while running it on LibreELEC 10 Beta would have power issues, even if the tuner is connected in the same way on both versions. Anyway, consider trying a different USB port on the computer or consider using a powered USB hub to see if you get different results.

(2) i'm using an earlier version of TVH Server than is in the repository. Perhaps that makes a difference. But I would think that drivers/firmware would control whether TVH Server sees your TV tuner, not the specific version of the TVH server addon. If your tuner was recognized by TVH Server in 9.2.6, but is not in LibreELEC 10 Beta, did some Hauppauge firmware or drivers not make it into the newer version? My Hauppauge dualHD USB (model 1595) is recognized in both versions of LibreELEC "out of the box" Another reason to have info on the full name and model number of your Hauppauge tuner (as shown on the box) when you reply again with the journalctl | paste weblink.

If you reply again with the weblink from the journalctl |paste command, the full name and model number of your Hauppauge TV tuner, a confirmation that it did indeed work in LibreELEC 9.2.6, but not LibreELEC 10 Beta, and perhaps a description of how it is connected to your computer running LibreELEC, and a confirmation that you did try a different USB port and/or you're using a powered USB 2.0 or powered USB 3.0 hub, perhaps someone here with more knowledge and experience than I have, can provide additional guidance.

I hope this long post has been helpful, and reasonably accurate.

Good luck.

hi I am a long time user of Libreelec x86_64 and use TVheadend for TV tuner, I have just upgraded to Libreelec Matrix 10, ufortunately can not access the TVheadend server to configure the tuners from an external pc. It seems I cant access port 9981, the network address to libreelec is ok. Am I missing something, can anyone help?

Hi I have tried both 4.2 and 4.3 in all combinations and neither can be accessed. I have done this many times with the earlier releases of Libreelec?

ps. it works fine with Libreelec 9.2.6, also I can't go back to this as I have purchase new hardware, the new GPU is not supported by 9.2.6 not 10?

ps2. sorry typo, GPU works with Librelec 10

Hello keka1234,

I had the same issue as you are describing when I started with LibreELEC 10 Beta (9.95.1) and installing TVHeadEnd server and HTSP Client. I would install the TVHeadEnd Server and TVHeadEnd HTSP client after installing LibreELEC on a 16 GB USB 3.0 flash drive. I believe the addons came from .zip files, rather than a repository as TVHeadEnd Server and HTSP client were not yet in the default repositories when I tried my LibreELEC 10 Beta install (but that detail is a bit fuzzy in my mind now).

And after the installation of TVHeadEnd Server and HTSP client, I would try to connect via a web browser and would be unable to connect via "http:<ipaddress:9981>". I rebooted my device, which happens to be a Raspi 4-8GB (not the same as your x86_x64 hardware, I know), and I still wasn't able to connect to configure the TVHeadEnd addon to receive TV.

Then I found this prior thread/post here: RE: TVH not working.

Bottom Line: Have you tried to to disable both TVHeadEnd server and HTSP client, and then re-enable them both again. When I did this, it worked for me, and it worked for the user in the thread mentioned in the prior paragraph. A reboot of my Raspi 4 DID NOT allow me to connect, but a disable/enable cycle did allow me to connect. And I've been able to connect ever since.

I know you said you have tried all combinations to be able to connect, so you may already have tried to disable/enable the TVHeadEnd addons once they are installed, and this didn't help you. But I mention it here in case you hadn't thought to try this. I remember uninstalling and installing multiple times, and rebooting multiple times, but I hadn't tried disabling/enabling the addons under

"Add-ons" => "My add-ons" => "Services" => "Tvheadend..." => "Disable" and

"Add-ons" => "My add-ons" => "PVR Clients" => "TVHeadend HTSP Client" => "Disable", then

"Add-ons" => "My add-ons" => "Services" => "Tvheadend..." => "Enable" and

"Add-ons" => "My add-ons" => "PVR Clients" => "TVHeadend HTSP Client" => "Enable"

before I read the post I mentioned above. My recollection is that it has not been necessary to use this disable/enable technique in LibreELEC 9.2.6 (another reason not to think to do this).

My apologies if this does not help you.

Good Luck!

Hello elliottmc,

I have a Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD USB tuner (model 1595) which I am using on my Raspi 4 8-GB using LibreELEC 10.0 BETA, version 9.95 (Kodi 19.0 Linux Kernel 5.10). I am having no trouble with Over the Air (OTA) TV using a powered indoor antenna. The tuner itself is plugged into a USB 2.0 powered HUB which is connected to one of my Raspi 4 USB 3.0 ports.

Both tuners worked out of the box after installing the LibreELEC software and the TVHeadEnd Server and TVHeadEnd HTSP Client onto a USB 3.0 32 GB flash drive connected to the other USB 3.0 port of the Raspi. No additional drivers or firmware were required in order for both tuners to be seen by the TVHeadEnd Server configuration screen. I have used both tuners at the same time to record OTA TV and have watched one of the same channels that I was recording simultaneously with two channel recordings being done with no issues that I can see. Both tuners produce .ts files when recording and they play quite well on LibreELEC and elsewhere. I do have occasional glitches in audio and video in both live TV and the recordings it makes, which I attribute to my indoor powered antenna setup (instead of an outdoor antenna). I get similar audio/video glitching using LibreELEC 9.2.6 and earlier versions of TVHeadEnd server and TVHeadEnd HTSP client with this hardware. I also get similar audio/video glitching when watching a regular TV connected to the same indoor antenna, so as far as I'm aware, I can't expect any more from my reception using this TV tuner hardware.

I find using this device to be working fine in my setup, but this is, of course, subjective. I find the audio/video glitching to be very minor, in my opinion, and both live TV and recordings are very watchable. I don't know what issues you are experiencing with your current XBox TV tuners, so I can't say if the Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD USB tuner will improve your experience.

I am using the following TVHeadEnd addons:

TVHeadEnd Server 4.3 (Alpha) 9.80.10.100 4.3-1938

TVHeadEnd HTSP Client 8.2.3.1

Just so we're clear, I am using this tuner in the USA and watching ATSC OTA TV. As far as I'm aware, your results should be similar to mine, but no guarantees, of course. But you will find that TVHeadEnd Server and LibreELEC 10 Beta do recognize this USB tuner device without any additional drivers or firmware needed during the configuration of the TVHeadEnd Server addon.

I hope this reply helps you.

the device is supported with kernel 5.12 or if you use dvb-latest at LE10 (LE default ships 5.10)

but currently we are not supporting the dvb-latest drivers at RPi, I can do a "special" build to support it but it MAY produce other problems I am currently not aware of

Hello again CvH

Sounds complicated and I know it's time-consuming to make special builds, and it may wind up still not working. No need to make a special build on my account since the needed changes will likely be incorporated into the official RPi 4 build eventually. I have other devices I can use this TV tuner with in the meantime. I will certainly test this tuner with later RPi 4 builds that incorporate the needed changes when they are available.

Thanks for all your comments in this thread and offer to help get this device working for me. I know how much time and effort you and the other volunteers on this project spend helping us users. And I do appreciate this. Thank you!

Hello CvH,

Thank you very much for your reply. I do appreciate you taking a look at my issue.

Here's the dmesg | paste file as requested: http://ix.io/2UaR (in case it shows something different from the journalctl I posted earlier).

Edit:

The dmesg | paste at the link above is from my LibreELEC 9.2.6 install. I figured that it would be best to use LibreELEC (official): 9.95.1 10.0 (kernel: Linux 5.10.17) when trying to debug my inability to use this TV tuner.

After booting LibreELEC 9.95 again, here is the dmesg | paste from that build of LibreELEC as requested: http://ix.io/2Ubj.

I'm sorry for the confusion.

End Edit

Some additional information (for whatever it's worth),

I can provide a similar output for another flavor of Linux where this TV tuner works. The Hauppauge Support site says there is only currently support for this tuner on that one distribution of Linux and I have it working on that distribution.

I am also very willing to do whatever I can to help. If, for example, I can cross-compile, or backport using drivers or firmware or whatever from that other distribution, I can certainly try that. But, just so you know, using words like cross-compile or backport doesn't mean that I know what I'm talking about. I would need some "hand-holding", (and probably a lot). I suspect that if this was easy, it would have already been done. The other distribution is used on a X64 machine, so the drivers/firmware may be completely different on that other hardware and I suppose not usable on ARM hardware.

And, if it's too complicated for a noob like me to try, or if the appropriate drivers or firmware don't exist, a simple statement to that effect is fine. I realize there are many other things to work on that would benefit more members of the community than trying to get this one TV tuner working on my Raspi.

I thank you for reading my post.

Hi all,

i installed the most recent version of libreelec on my raspberry pi 4b. During the installation all Wifis were shown and i was able to connect to my homes wifi.

The connection still works and I'm able to use connect using this direction. Now i would like to connect to a different wifi but i can't see any. The only connection I see is the one i'm currently connected to.

What could be the reason?

Thanks

Hello dehein2,

If you disconnect from the WiFi network that you're currently connected to, do the nearby WiFi networks then appear in the list after a few seconds?

I have observed the issue you described where I can only see the WiFi network I'm currently connected to. Selecting the Gear icon at top left of Main LibreELEC screen/LibreELEC/Connections/Disconnect then will cause the other nearby WiFi networks to populate the list after a few seconds. I'm using LibreELEC 9.2.6 on a RasPi4-8GB.

This seems to occur only after I have rebooted my Raspi. If I power off my device and then power it back on, when I look at the list of nearby WiFi networks, I see several including the one I am connected to.

I don't know why this happens, only my observations of my own Raspi. Consider disconnecting from the WiFi network you are currently connected to when it happens to you to see if your list populates.

I hope this has been helpful.

Code
    One question, WinTV-quadHD, is PCI, how are you connecting to the Raspberry? do you have any adapter? I have been looking for these usb-pci adapters but I can't find them. Thanks

Hello kkk125,

The version of the "Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD USB" that I own connects via USB. There isn't any PCIe connector on this TV tuner. I don't need any adapters because the device can be plugged directly into one of the USB 3.0 ports on the RasPi 4, or into a powered USB 3.0 USB Hub, which is how I connect it to my RasPi. The "Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD USB" is a USB 3.0 device. Searching for "Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD USB" with your favorite search engine will show you a picture of this device which looks very different from the PCIe version you are referring to.

The naming convention for this TV Tuner has led to confusion since there appear to be at least three versions with basically the same name (USB version has USB in the name, while the PCIe versions do not):

1 version is PCIe, and for DVB-T/T2/C television (connects to PCIe port--not for RasPi devices),

1 version is PCIe and for ATSC/clear (not encrypted) QAM cable television (connects to PCIe port--not for RasPi devices), and

1 version is USB and ATSC/clear QAM television (connects to USB port).

I am trying to make the last version in this list work on my RasPi4.

I can't comment on the existence of PCIe to USB adapters. Good luck with your search.

Thanks for your reply, kreeture.

Unfortunately, the link you provided isn't for my device. The device at the link you provided is a PCIe device and is for DVB-T/T2/C television. My device is a USB device, and is for ATSC OTA (over-the-air) and clear QAM cable tel3vision. But it is definitely confusing since all these devices are commonly known as Hauppauge Win-TV quadHD tuners.

The prior thread I mentioned in the first paragraph of my initial post in this thread indicated that a patch for this device had been submitted upstream in June 2020 and there was a possibility that this patch might be merged upstream for Linux 5.9. It appears this hasn't been done yet however, which is why I am inquiring now.

I'm unsure what my next steps should be to find out if this TV tuner can be used with LibreElec.

Thanks.

Hello,

I have a WinTV-quadHD USB TV tuner which I am trying to use with my RPi 4-8GB. There is a prior post on this topic here: RE: Tvheadend doesn't see quadHD-USB tuner.

I have installed LibreELEC (official): 9.95.1 10.0 (kernel: Linux 5.10.17) as a clean install on a flash drive on my RPi 4 with 8 GB of RAM. I also installed TVHeadEnd server (service.tvheadend43-9.80.11.100.zip) and TVHeadEnd Client (pvr.hts-8.2.3.1.zip).

The WinTV-quadHD USB TV tuner does not show up as a tuner on the TV adapters tab in TVHeadEnd.

I have attached a journalctl | paste file as was suggested in the prior thread shown in the first paragraph of this post: http://ix.io/2TRV

Can anyone direct me to my next steps to try to get this TV tuner working on my Raspi 4?

Thanks!

Hello harry_fine,

I have a 4GB Pi4 and just purchased a Hauppauge WinTV-dual HD USB dongle (Hauppauge | WinTV-dualHD Dual TV Tuner). According to the box, this device works on both over the air ATSC signals (which I use it for), and clear QAM signals from a cable provider (which I have no experience with). I am running LibreElec 9.2.6 for the Pi4 along with TVHeadend Server and TVHeadEnd HTSP Client and I do not suffer from stuttering, nor buffering now.

I say now because after my initial install of TVHeadEnd Server, I was suffering from large amounts of stuttering and buffering. The TVHeadend Server addon downloaded and installed by using the LibreElec Add-On's/Install from repository/All repositories/Services/TVHeadEnd Server 4.2 menus did not work well for me.

My issue was solved by installing TVHeadEnd Server from CvH's TVHeadend Nightly Builds here: Tvheadend nightly builds for LibreELEC. This site is mentioned in other threads in this forum (like this one: Tvheadend nightly builds for LE), so this addon site is perfectly legitimate as far as I can see. My thanks go out to CvH for providing these nightlies because they made my TV watching experience on LibreElec wonderful! All signs of stuttering and buffering went away with the install of this addon and I did not have to make any configuration changes to my LibreElec setup at all.

Edit: It looks like you already found the nightly I mentioned since you've posted in that thread as well, so perhaps this message is unnecessary now :)

I was able to use the TVHeadend HTSP Client Addon available on the LibreElec Addons/Install from repository/ etc., along with the TVHeadend Server nightly from CvH's site, and my TV watching experience has been perfect since. Your experience may vary, but is perhaps worth a shot?

If you haven't tried a TVHeadend Server nightly, I recommend that you do so with your current TV dongle as it may make a great deal of difference in your experience. I am currently using the "RPi4-service-tvheadend42-4.3-1906.zip" which I manually installed using the Add-Ons/Install from zip file menu choices.

I apologize if this does not help you. Good Luck!