RetroELEC Kodi+Wayland+Emulationstation+RetroArch (x86/XU4/RPi)

• Hi, I'm new here, but I've known this project for a while. I really like that it exists! I haven't used it yet because I have an Emby server set up and, by developmental choice, the Emby for Kodi addon would not be available while Krypton was still in alpha/beta.

I've got a few questions:

1) Is it possible to add some capability of streaming games from a host running Steam, either via Moonlight or a native Steam client? I know LibreELEC is not able to run Steam, even the x86 version, due to how slim of an OS it is, so I wonder if it's possible/feasible.

2) Does your distro have drivers for the Steam Controller?

3) Your distro covers a lot of bases, but it has a lot of things I don't need in my Kodi machine, like Transmission and Sonarr, because I have them in my desktop PC instead, which acts as my server. Is it easy to remove what I don't want/need, and, if not, what would be the process of building a LibreELEC image with only the things I need? Uninstalling stuff should be as easy as typing something on the terminal but I'm afraid of breaking something.

• Zpectre87:
    Ad1) Yes it is possible. I am streaming games from PC to RPi3 with this build by Moonlight add-on. My both DS3 controllers works like a charm.
    Ad2) Yes. SC works in Kodi. But I need a bit help with making it work with Moonlight. ATM in my configuration SC only have working joystick without any buttons in Steam Big Picture, ro further any game run from Steam.
    Ad3) All mentioned programs are installed, but by default are not running. On FIRST post, on FIRST page, you have info about it.
    [hr]
    @escalada: From 2017013 I've noticed a temperature spike. For last few months my RPi was working around 50-55 C, and now I constantly get thermometer icon, even thou I didn't add any software running in back etc. What kind of logs do you need to check this?

Edited once, last by RShT (January 14, 2017 at 8:42 AM).

• 20170111:

Code
    - Linux 4.10-rc3
    - X.org 1.19.0 (had this downgraded previously because of VICE)
    - Switched VICE x64 to SDL2 (with this the Generic build does not need SDL1 any more)
    - Added new DS4 mapping to Kodi peripheral.joystick addon, Emulationstation, Dolphin and RetroArch
    - Updated Mesa 17 git brings OpenGL 4.2 to Haswell
    - Updated HEVC 10-bit patch for Kodi/Mesa/Linux
    - Disabled threaded video and enabled double buffering (instead of triple) in RetroArch for even lower input latency

This release can be found in the testing folder. Sony did some major work on the hid-sony driver used for the DS4 in 4.10, so if you upgraded from a previous build then you will need to update the mappings in the above mentioned applications.

I'd be interested to hear from DS4 users on a clean install if it works satisfactory. No controller config should be needed, plug n play :)

I wanted to try this autoconfig today so I super wipe the libreelec partions and go for the gold but have a few issues. All this is after a fresh install with no additional files other anything other then ssh keys. Ive got no first run notifications for Chrome or spotify. Chrome does install but spotify gives 404 in /tmp. Hook up the ds4 all is well. It selects the games with o then I played gc games no prob had to use the kb to get out of dolphin then used the ds4 to launch retroarch from emu station and then I come in to problem there is no input at all and the only kb buttons working are f1 and esc. I tried the usual enter/backspace z/x and arrows but no good not in game or rgui(arrows work). Here is journalctl -b and some logs from/tmp. And another journalctl -b right after reboot and only running retroarch still with only f1 and esc working. I didnt see a residualvm.log in tmp. I think I got All the logs. This is on a nuc5i7 and the build from the 13th. Im going to config myself and continue my set up because I like to be up to date. and who knows my retroarch.bak just might fix me up.

Thanks for the great builds

• Hi, I just registered to say thanks for your amazing build ! And also, I get no sound at all since latest update (it worked fine before) on Kodi nor Retroarch. I use the x86_64 build on an Intel NUC. Is there a way to revert to the previous build ? Thanks.

Edited once, last by Tromzy (January 14, 2017 at 12:32 PM).

• @zspectre87

Transmission is 5MB and Sonarr is 19MB. LE is not a regular distro, it's packed into a read-only nsquashfs that gets loaded to RAM on boot. Any files written goes into /storage. It's possible to unpack the squashfs (/flash/SYSTEM), then modify it and repack it. You could also build the image yourself, then you could modify what to include, but I'm not sure what you hope to gain by this. You really need that extra 25MB of RAM?

MoHawka

You don't have a ds4 v2 by any chance? I think it might need it's own mappings with 4.10, could you configure it in Emulationstation and send me the /storage/.config/emulationstation/es_input.cfg? I'll have a look at Chrome and Spotify, probably something changed with the Arch pkgbuild, as that's where I pull the version numbers from. How did you launch residualvm? Start it as /usr/bin/residualvm.sh and it should log to /tmp/residualvm.log.

Tromzy

I'm on Intel NUC as well, sound is fine here. What options do you have in the system audio settings?

Edited once, last by escalade (January 15, 2017 at 12:30 PM).

• I have "ALSA : Default (HDA Intel PCH ALC283 Analog)" as the audio output device (changing to "HDMI" does not solve the problem), which used to work before the update. No passthrough.

• @zspectre87

Transmission is 5MB and Sonarr is 19MB. LE is not a regular distro, it's packed into a read-only nsquashfs that gets loaded to RAM on boot. Any files written goes into /storage. It's possible to unpack the squashfs (/flash/SYSTEM), then modify it and repack it. It won't really make any difference though. You could also build the image yourself, then you could modify what to include.

I see, so their sizes are negligible. Thanks for the reply. :)

Also thanks to everyone else who helped.

• MoHawka

You don't have a ds4 v2 by any chance? I think it might need it's own mappings with 4.10, could you configure it in Emulationstation and send me the /storage/.config/emulationstation/es_input.cfg? I'll have a look at Chrome and Spotify, probably something changed with the Arch ebuild, as that's where I pull the version numbers from. How did you launch residualvm? Start it as /usr/bin/residualvm.sh and it should log to /tmp/residualvm.log.

I didnt run residualvm. I was just looking at the logs of interest in the op. I did now run it and I didnt get mouse input to click exit had to use alt-f4. I have configured es_input with the same controller from my first report. I think I have both versions of ds4 but was using v1 for the testing. I believe it to be v1 because the model number ends in 1u and the light is not also in the touch pad.I have added es_input and a new retroarch log here. I have added my retroarch.bak back in /storage/.confg/retroarch the new retroarch log ran with my setup from my backup but still had no input. If there is any other logs info I can get for you let me kno. Otherwise everything is working great. Thanks for your hard work

• I see, can reproduce here as well. Looks like the window manager isn't giving it focus. What you can do is press ALT+F10 to unmaximize the window, that seems to make the buttons work.

Regarding your input, looks like you've upgraded from the previous build. I can't overwrite the configuration files during upgrades so you'll need to remove the old config to get the new one. Can't understand what's happening in RetroArch for you, as the controller seems to be detected and loads an autoconfiguration for the DS4.

Edited once, last by escalade (January 14, 2017 at 8:17 PM).