Pi 3: wlan power-save enable by default

• Hello,

my "problem" is, that the power-save feature of the integrate wlan on Raspberry Pi 3 is enable by default in LibreELEC 7.0.0 and maybe, it's a bug?

Last week a have "upgraded" from Rasperry Pi 2 to Pi 3 and using the same SD-Card with LibreELEC 7.0.0 (which was upgraded from OpenELEC 6.0.3 on Pi 2). But I'm not sure, maybe the following issue is solved in LibreELEc 7.0.0 (with a "fresh" installation, without ballast from OpenELEC or Pi2).

I have found the solution in the OpenELEC forum (OpenELEC Mediacenter - OpenELEC Forum - Raspberry Pi 3 wlan issues (1/1)). But the name of the addon in LibreELEC 7.0.0 is "Network Tools".

The current power-save status of the integrate wlan in the Pi 3 can see with the following command (by default it's activate):

Code
    LibreELEC:~ # /storage/.kodi/addons/virtual.network-tools/bin/iw wlan0 get power_save
    Power save: on

With the command

Code
    LibreELEC:~ # /storage/.kodi/addons/virtual.network-tools/bin/iw wlan0 set power_save off

you can disable it. But it's only temporary. After a restart of LibreELEC it's enable again.

With the script "autostart.sh" (it should contain the last command) you can do this automaticly. You have to put it on the SD-Card (/storage/.config/). Now the power-saving of the integrate wlan on Pi 3 is disable by "default".

But is this a bug? Can somebody confirm this?

For me it's working now and I have no problems, but maybe other users have same problem and that's why I have open this topic.

Thank you.

• Ok, I can see the message, but without disable the power-save with "iw" the wlan goes in power-save modus after a few minutes (e.g. I can't open SSH, sftp or samba connections anymore and the internet-connection on Kodi is very slow).

After I have disable the power-save mode with "iw" everything is fine and I have absolutly no problems with wlan anymore!

[EDIT]

Here is my dmesg log:
    [Bash] LibreELEC:~ # dmesg log [ 0.000000] Booting Linux on physical CPU 0x0 [ - Pastebin.com

Edited once, last by kar82 (May 10, 2016 at 9:27 PM).

• Hello,
    on LibreELEC (official) Version: 7.0.2 (on RPI3)
    first install -> Libreelec Addons/Program Addons/Network Tools

reboot

logon via ssh and test -> iwconfig

wlan0 shows up like -> Power Management:on

then -> nano /storage/.config/autostart.sh

add -> iw wlan0 set power_save off

-> save and exit
    -> reboot

logon via ssh and test -> iwconfig

wlan0 shows up like -> Power Management:off

...maybe the solution

• This worked perfect for me. I had to install iw and iwconfig through the unofficial openelec repo but was able to get this working by creating the autostart.sh and pointing to the location of my iwconfig ( /storage/.kodi/addons/http://tools.iw/bin/iw wlan0 set power_save off )

Edited once, last by Yabbo (February 27, 2017 at 3:03 AM).

• Hi!

I need to disable wlan power save because it renders my kodi remote apps on my iPhone and iPad useless if I'm on wifi.

I have installed the addon Network Tools and tried the various paths suggested in this thread but no matter what I do I can't set power_save to off.

If I try any of the commands

/storage/.kodi/addons/virtual.network-tools/bin/iw wlan0 get power_save

or

/storage/.kodi/addons/virtual.network-tools/bin/iw wlan0 set power_save off

I get

iw: not found

However I can use the iwconfig command, which is how I know that power_save is not off.

In /storage/.kodi/addons/virtual.network-tools/bin there is no iw. There are:

iwconfig

iwgetid

iwlist

iwmulticall

iwpriv

iwspy

Edit: I figured it out, the command is "iwconfig wlan0 power off"

How do I install iw?

Edited once, last by Tenbrink: I figured it out! (February 18, 2021 at 11:57 AM).