Gamestarter: Retrogaming add-ons (RPi/Generic)

• So overall i am pretty happy with the performance of my RP4 with Retroarch as a Kodi addon. Even played some Conker with acceptable framerates. I still have two major issues though and hope you guys can help me. I can update the Core package from within Kodi (Retrocharch Settings), but if i try to update them while running Retroarch via the online updater, not only will it not update the cores but i also get some visual errors where it just redraws the menu without updating old frames until i restart the addon.

The second problem is even more curious but maybe easier to solve. I can run Crazy Taxi (Dreamcast/Flycast Core) with around ~40fps at double the resolution and some optimized settings.. so i used those settings to establish some overide settings for this core. Somehow and somewhere i must have changed somthing important since every other game for dreamcast now just crashes directly back to kodi (with stock settings or crazy taxi override settings) . Even Crazy Taxi will crash until i load it with overrides again. Any ideas would beUpdate much appreciated.

_

Update: Found a solution. For some reason some Dreamcast games don´t like automatically loaded savestates while HLE is disabled. It will just crash to Kodi while trying to load the state. Starting the game without savestates and loading them manually later solves the problem. So does enabling HLE.

Edited once, last by Peter B: Update (February 20, 2020 at 6:48 AM).

• Hi all,

i'm trying to run emulationstation (ES) in LibreElec 9.2, but it crashes

Before it's installed a previous version at RPi2 with LibreElec 8 (kodi 17).

I try to do new installation of retroarch and emulationstation, retroarch with previous version works and then i upgrade it to latest version.

But "ES", i try to install it from scratch and install it copying previous version folders, without results (not working)

The emulationstation.log has

Code
    EmulationStation [ADDON] :: Tue Mar 17 18:15:33 CET 2020
    ============================================================
    EmulationStation [ADDON] :: Kodi is ready.
    EmulationStation [ADDON] :: RPi2.arm-9.2.1 - Tue Mar 17 18:15:42 CET 2020
    EmulationStation [ADDON] :: Stop kodi...
    EmulationStation [ADDON] :: Launch EmulationStation (See process output in emulationstation_debug.log)
    EmulationStation [ADDON] :: Restart kodi...

And the emulationstation_debug.log has

Code
    terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
      what():  locale::facet::_S_create_c_locale name not valid
    Aborted

By terminal, locale shows

i don't find the solution .. :(

Someone know how to solve this problem?

Thanks

Edited once, last by gark81 (March 17, 2020 at 5:47 PM).

• Just install Locale addon from Libreelec repo and set Locale to something like UK UTF8 ..should work

• Thx for the new update on Retroarch. Just a heads-up: For me it didn´t switch to ozone as a default after upgrading. Doing so manually did work, but starting any game or basically accessing any menu in ozone causes retroarch to crash. Had to switch back to xmb via the config file.

RPI4/Libreelec. 9.2.1/Kodi 18.6

• Thx for the new update on Retroarch. Just a heads-up: For me it didn´t switch to ozone as a default after upgrading. Doing so manually did work, but starting any game or basically accessing any menu in ozone causes retroarch to crash. Had to switch back to xmb via the config file.

RPI4/Libreelec. 9.2.1/Kodi 18.6

If you update from a previous version the retroarch config file will not be updated to avoid custom config overwrite, so you have to swith to ozone manually but before doing so, you must update assets using retroarch online updater. That way it shouldn't crash.

Also, there is a fix to solve LOCALE issue in emulationstation but just in Generic and RPi2/3, I can not make work ES in my RPi4.

• If you update from a previous version the retroarch config file will not be updated to avoid custom config overwrite, so you have to swith to ozone manually but before doing so, you must update assets using retroarch online updater. That way it shouldn't crash.

Also, there is a fix to solve LOCALE issue in emulationstation but just in Generic and RPi2/3, I can not make work ES in my RPi4.

I see, thanks a lot. Also thx for not overwriting the config file.

Will future core-updates be handled via kodi ("download core package in retroarch settings") or will it be possible to update within retroarch itself? Trying to update or download cores right now just gives me visual glitches and forces me to restart.

• I see, thanks a lot. Also thx for not overwriting the config file.

Will future core-updates be handled via kodi ("download core package in retroarch settings") or will it be possible to update within retroarch itself? Trying to update or download cores right now just gives me visual glitches and forces me to restart.

If you use retroarch online updater to update cores you will get generic linux versions of them that are not optimized for RPi4... there is no repo for such update, thats why I included the core update in the addon settings, there you download the whole core pack from latest Lakka release for each device (RPi2, RPi4 and Generic).

• If you use retroarch online updater to update cores you will get generic linux versions of them that are not optimized for RPi4... there is no repo for such update, thats why I included the core update in the addon settings, there you download the whole core pack from latest Lakka release for each device (RPi2, RPi4 and Generic).

Understood. Can´t thank you enough. Stay physically fit. (the usual word is censored)

• Hello,

Having had no luck trying to install Retroelec or Libreelec-RR I found your repo which would allow me to install Emulationstation on stock Libreelec.

Unfortunately, having installed the repo successfully none of the add-ons in the repo will install. I have queried the log and get the following:

Code
    2020-04-29 12:51:50.163 T:140080559683328   ERROR: Copy - Failed write to file special://home/addons/packages/game.retroarch-8.177.14.zip
    2020-04-29 12:51:50.165 T:140080559683328   ERROR: CAddonInstallJob[game.retroarch]: failed to download special://home/addons/packages/game.retroarch-8.177.14.zip

I wondered if it was potentially a connection issue so I went the command line and tried a wget on the file from the repo and it worked fine:

Code
    wget https://github.com/bite-your-idols/Gamestarter/blob/master/repository.gamestarter/game.retroarch/game.retroarch-8.177.14.zip
    Connecting to github.com (13.237.44.5:443)
    saving to 'game.retroarch-8.177.14.zip'
    game.retroarch-8.177 100% |********************************************************************************************************************************| 67553  0:00:00 ETA
    'game.retroarch-8.177.14.zip' saved

Does anyone know how I might debug this?

I also tried to install some other random plugins from other repos both official and otherwise and all was well.

• what hardware?

this only works with raspberry pi or Generic..

• Hello, everyone,

first of all I wanted to say thank you for the great development work, this is not self-evident!

I have struggled through various manuals and yesterday I was able to play my first N64 game! 8) However, I'm still not quite convinced about the performance and according to some reports it should work better.

Did everything according to these instructions: 1. Setup · zach-morris/plugin.program.iagl Wiki · GitHub

The first N64 emulator in the list did not work, but the second one did. I tested the others afterwards but the one is the only one that runs.

My system:

- Raspberry 4 + 4 GB RAM

- latest LibreElec version

- IAGL

- RetroArch by Gamestarter

How can I improve the N64 game performance?

When I manually start RetroArch from Kodi and select a setting I immediately come back to Kodi, so it seems like RetroArch crashes. Is there a solution for this?

Thanks and have a great day! :thumbup:

• I would start by setting up retroarch,most important thing first before any other addons...So if it's crashing there is something obviously not right with RA..To avoid complications as this is a new install and you won't be loosing any setups just delete userdata/addon data/game.retroarch folder to reset everything...then go to retroarch and update addon...from retroarch addon settings download libretro cores packages..Thas's it for now..open retroarch and update assets from online updater...do not update cores as some of them don't work properly when updated with retroarch online updater..Make sure you have any bios's needed in hand too..after that you can start setting up your controllers and try your roms..once done always keep backups of userdata/addon data/game.retroarch..that will save you hours of setting up..regarding iagl I used it many months ago but prefer local roms..it was all setup but I honestly have no idea where to start again if I had to set it up today..

• Thank you very much Mario77 for your help!

I tried to connect with the raspberry with SSH but cannot see the folder you mentioned, is this not possible with CyberDuck? (i use a MAC)
    I copied the BIOSes for RetroArch to storage/emulators/bios and thought is is correct but i think it wasn't...

Using IAGL is just very user friendly and i don't know where to get the ROMS from.

PS: Sorry for my noob questions :angel:

• Thank you very much Mario77 for your help!

I tried to connect with the raspberry with SSH but cannot see the folder you mentioned, is this not possible with CyberDuck? (i use a MAC)
    I copied the BIOSes for RetroArch to storage/emulators/bios and thought is is correct but i think it wasn't...

Using IAGL is just very user friendly and i don't know where to get the ROMS from.

PS: Sorry for my noob questions :angel:

This one:

Code
    /storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/game.retroarch