Gamestarter: Retrogaming add-ons (RPi/Generic)

• So overall i am pretty happy with the performance of my RP4 with Retroarch as a Kodi addon. Even played some Conker with acceptable framerates. I still have two major issues though and hope you guys can help me. I can update the Core package from within Kodi (Retrocharch Settings), but if i try to update them while running Retroarch via the online updater, not only will it not update the cores but i also get some visual errors where it just redraws the menu without updating old frames until i restart the addon.

The second problem is even more curious but maybe easier to solve. I can run Crazy Taxi (Dreamcast/Flycast Core) with around ~40fps at double the resolution and some optimized settings.. so i used those settings to establish some overide settings for this core. Somehow and somewhere i must have changed somthing important since every other game for dreamcast now just crashes directly back to kodi (with stock settings or crazy taxi override settings) . Even Crazy Taxi will crash until i load it with overrides again. Any ideas would beUpdate much appreciated.

_

Update: Found a solution. For some reason some Dreamcast games don´t like automatically loaded savestates while HLE is disabled. It will just crash to Kodi while trying to load the state. Starting the game without savestates and loading them manually later solves the problem. So does enabling HLE.

Edited once, last by Peter B: Update ().

• Hi all,

i'm trying to run emulationstation (ES) in LibreElec 9.2, but it crashes

Before it's installed a previous version at RPi2 with LibreElec 8 (kodi 17).

I try to do new installation of retroarch and emulationstation, retroarch with previous version works and then i upgrade it to latest version.

But "ES", i try to install it from scratch and install it copying previous version folders, without results (not working)

The emulationstation.log has

Code
    1. EmulationStation [ADDON] :: Tue Mar 17 18:15:33 CET 2020
    2. ============================================================
    3. EmulationStation [ADDON] :: Kodi is ready.
    4. EmulationStation [ADDON] :: RPi2.arm-9.2.1 - Tue Mar 17 18:15:42 CET 2020
    5. EmulationStation [ADDON] :: Stop kodi...
    6. EmulationStation [ADDON] :: Launch EmulationStation (See process output in emulationstation_debug.log)
    7. EmulationStation [ADDON] :: Restart kodi...

And the emulationstation_debug.log has

Code
    1. terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
    2. what(): locale::facet::_S_create_c_locale name not valid
    3. Aborted

By terminal, locale shows

i don't find the solution .. :-(

Someone know how to solve this problem?

Thanks

Edited once, last by gark81 ().

• Just install Locale addon from Libreelec repo and set Locale to something like UK UTF8 ..should work

• Thx for the new update on Retroarch. Just a heads-up: For me it didn´t switch to ozone as a default after upgrading. Doing so manually did work, but starting any game or basically accessing any menu in ozone causes retroarch to crash. Had to switch back to xmb via the config file.

RPI4/Libreelec. 9.2.1/Kodi 18.6

• Thx for the new update on Retroarch. Just a heads-up: For me it didn´t switch to ozone as a default after upgrading. Doing so manually did work, but starting any game or basically accessing any menu in ozone causes retroarch to crash. Had to switch back to xmb via the config file.

RPI4/Libreelec. 9.2.1/Kodi 18.6

If you update from a previous version the retroarch config file will not be updated to avoid custom config overwrite, so you have to swith to ozone manually but before doing so, you must update assets using retroarch online updater. That way it shouldn't crash.

Also, there is a fix to solve LOCALE issue in emulationstation but just in Generic and RPi2/3, I can not make work ES in my RPi4.

• If you update from a previous version the retroarch config file will not be updated to avoid custom config overwrite, so you have to swith to ozone manually but before doing so, you must update assets using retroarch online updater. That way it shouldn't crash.

Also, there is a fix to solve LOCALE issue in emulationstation but just in Generic and RPi2/3, I can not make work ES in my RPi4.

I see, thanks a lot. Also thx for not overwriting the config file.

Will future core-updates be handled via kodi ("download core package in retroarch settings") or will it be possible to update within retroarch itself? Trying to update or download cores right now just gives me visual glitches and forces me to restart.

• I see, thanks a lot. Also thx for not overwriting the config file.

Will future core-updates be handled via kodi ("download core package in retroarch settings") or will it be possible to update within retroarch itself? Trying to update or download cores right now just gives me visual glitches and forces me to restart.

If you use retroarch online updater to update cores you will get generic linux versions of them that are not optimized for RPi4... there is no repo for such update, thats why I included the core update in the addon settings, there you download the whole core pack from latest Lakka release for each device (RPi2, RPi4 and Generic).

• If you use retroarch online updater to update cores you will get generic linux versions of them that are not optimized for RPi4... there is no repo for such update, thats why I included the core update in the addon settings, there you download the whole core pack from latest Lakka release for each device (RPi2, RPi4 and Generic).

Understood. Can´t thank you enough. Stay physically fit. (the usual word is censored)