How fast is a 905 with libreelec?

• Hey,

So i use libreelec with chromebox, intel nuc and i also setup spmc with an android shield tv, both are quick devices.

Is a 905 device comparble to this, or is it more raspberry speed of it all?

Best Regards,

Charlie

Edited once, last by charlie (December 6, 2016 at 6:27 PM).

• i have a Nuc DN2820 running Libreelec from a usb & an Amlogic S905 running from a microsd I can't say I have seen much of a difference. If speed is important, install to NAND.

Edited once, last by bubblegum57 (December 6, 2016 at 7:17 PM).

• I'm running a NEXBOX A5 s905x from nand and it is super quick. Noticeable difference between it and s805 nand and s905x installed on Sd card is how much faster the thumbnails load on nand install.

• I'm running a NEXBOX A5 s905x from nand and it is super quick. Noticeable difference between it and s805 nand and s905x installed on Sd card is how much faster the thumbnails load on nand install.

I have the same box and it blows my raspberry pi 3 out of the water at half the cost the pi 3 is nice but after all the accessories it's double what one of these boxes cost and slower

If I had known I would have never bought the pi

• Minix NEO U1 with LE. More than enough power. Everything is as snappy as it can be.
    Since I don't have any other device to compare, I would really like to hear an opinion about picture quality difference between various devices and LE. I mean not ability to play 23,976, HDR, etc., but more of a "videophile" point of view. Will picture be any different if I buy a Kaby Lake NUC when it comes out?

• I've got a chromebox and have used RPi2 & 3.

The S905 and S905X boxes I have are very close to Chromebox performance through menus and whilst video is playing. Much much quicker than the RPi.

That's running off micro SD. It is even quicker running off internal nand memory.

And you have the added benefit of H265 4K decoding. For £20-30 I really don't think you can go wrong with an S905(X) box thanks to the work of Kszaq

• I have a Chromebox, nVidia Shield TV and a RPi2.

I got an S905X box and this is what I have to say when comparing with the above:

• Much faster than RPi2.
    • Comparable performance using Kodi to Chromebox and nVidia Shield TV while navigating through the menus.
    • UI Smoothness, not the same, but not bad either, the thing is that my Chromebox or Shield maintain a smooth 60fps UI and the S905X doesn't.
    • Great value for the price it costs if you just want to use Kodi it's miles ahead of Chromebox and nVidia Shield TV, because you can do the same for a fraction of the price.

It's a nice budget player, go for it :)

• The ODROID C2 with high quality v5.0 Samsung eMMC flash storage is the fastest of the lot.

Why - well you can overclock both the CPU and DDR3 RAM to stay within thermal Safety limits without being CPU throttled.
    A whopping great heatsink helps ! :P

Want Kodi Artwork and thumbnails to instantly popup. Fast eMMC Flash storage is what you need.

The S905 MINIX NEO U1, consistently outperforms others with eMMC Flash R/W speeds as seen in the chart HERE
    From daily use when using Android Marshmallow - the USA Spec Xiaomi Mi Box is also a surprisingly quick little thing. Xiaomi also appear to be using fast, high quality eMMC memory as well if you look at the previous chart.

WeTek S905 devices are also using fast Samsung eMMC flash as seen HERE

In the end you get what you pay for so far as quality physical Hardware components are concerned.
    If you really want to Nerd up, this is the Samsung eMMC Flash storage I'm talking about. (Read the brochures)

Fast enough is good enough for most people, and LE S905 boxes are the best bang for the buck, pure Kodi boxes going around.
    RPi's don't stand a chance.

Edited once, last by wrxtasy (December 8, 2016 at 5:18 AM).