GPU recommendations for 4K HDR

• Hey all.

I've just put together a little x86-based LE box, on the cheap, using bits from my old server.

Currently consists of;

• i5 4590T
    • Asus B85M-E
    • 8GB DDR3
    • Nvidia T400

The only issue here is the GPU; it won't output HDR. My limited research leads me to believe this is an Nvidia/Linux/LE "problem", so I guess I need to replace that GPU with something from AMD? The question is what? I'm not wanting to spend much money and it would need to be a low-profile card due to the Silverstone case I'm using. Anyone got any recommendations? There are a few 400 series cards on fleaBay at the moment (Radeon R5 430 2GB - £23) but I'm unsure if they'd be up to the task of 4K HDR.

• nVidia drivers now support MESA/GBM which can do HDR, but only through Wayland; which official LE doesn't use, and even if it's made to (with a self-built image) Wayland doesn't support dynamic refresh rate switching so the desktop refresh rate is fixed, e.g. 60Hz so you may find media playback has glitches and such as 23.976Hz or 25Hz content is adapted to that rate. Or you can use Xorg, but that doesn't support HDR at all. Oh, and Kodi only supports VDPAU not NVDEC.

I haven't used x86_64 hardware for a decade so I'm not going to recommend alternate GPUs (in part because vendors breed new stuff faster than I can keep up with it) but the general advice is: Intel = #1 choice, AMD = #2 choice, nVidia .. distant #3 choice.

• nVidia drivers now support MESA/GBM which can do HDR, but only through Wayland...

I haven't used x86_64 hardware for a decade so I'm not going to recommend alternate GPUs (in part because vendors breed new stuff faster than I can keep up with it) but the general advice is: Intel = #1 choice, AMD = #2 choice, nVidia .. distant #3 choice.

Thanks for the reply and technical breakdown! You've educated this old moron 😆

Or just get a Raspberry Pi 4 or 5, that is capable of 4k HDR without any problems.

After some pondering, that may be the best option; sell the x86 stuff and get a Pi 5 instead. Shame I can't use the hardware I currently own, but I'm already thinking about designing a case with an integrated 16x2 LCD and IR...*launches Fusion360*

I havn't used a Pi for media since the original Model B with Openelec. How's the experience these days? I remember being amazed at how well it handled HD content, given the price and form-factor, but UI navigation was a stuttery, slow affair. Presumably things have moved on since then.

• Thanks for the reply and technical breakdown! You've educated this old moron 😆

After some pondering, that may be the best option; sell the x86 stuff and get a Pi 5 instead. Shame I can't use the hardware I currently own, but I'm already thinking about designing a case with an integrated 16x2 LCD and IR...*launches Fusion360*

I havn't used a Pi for media since the original Model B with Openelec. How's the experience these days? I remember being amazed at how well it handled HD content, given the price and form-factor, but UI navigation was a stuttery, slow affair. Presumably things have moved on since then.

Pi 5 is almost as fast in UI as my ASRock J5040 and 4k HDR HEVC is no problem, low power consumption and really quiet.

• From memory LE should run well with a discrete Intel card like Arc A380 if you want to retain your existing hardware. But I suspect a RPi5 would provide a comparable experience for far less power consumption.

I've got a RPi5 as a secondary setup and I can't notice any difference with my J4105 based HTPC in the lounge. I've got the RPi5 booting off a NVMe drive and it's a slick experience.

• If you want Intel use a Intel N100 box. That uses less the 0.2 Wh per day if you do not power off. The price is is not so far from a RPi5 with a passive case, power supply and a small NVMe drive.

Here is a list

sky42
    January 29, 2024 at 1:08 PM

I really like my MiniX Z100 and with one workaround it does all i want. The ASUS PN42 is great too.

All Intel Gen12 (and most likely later) GPUs need one workaround at the moment

sky42
    December 18, 2023 at 1:49 PM