Posts by MisteR

Hey all! I'll preface this by saying I'm not a coder, I just copy/paste whatever code I find and fiddle with it until it works 😆

Hopefully a quick Q; is there a trick to getting gpiozero working on a Pi5?

I'm running LibreELEC-RPi5.arm-11.0.6 with the RPi-Tools addon and I'm trying to get a PWM fan script to work. However, I'm getting a "RuntimeError: Cannot determine SOC peripheral base address" error anytime I try to run a script that references gpiozero (there are also Tracebacks, but I figured the Runtime error is the important one).

I know that with the rPi5 they changed stuff with the GPIO so things like RPI.GPIO no longer works, but I was under the assumption gpiozero should be ok?

nVidia drivers now support MESA/GBM which can do HDR, but only through Wayland...

I haven't used x86_64 hardware for a decade so I'm not going to recommend alternate GPUs (in part because vendors breed new stuff faster than I can keep up with it) but the general advice is: Intel = #1 choice, AMD = #2 choice, nVidia .. distant #3 choice.

Thanks for the reply and technical breakdown! You've educated this old moron 😆

Or just get a Raspberry Pi 4 or 5, that is capable of 4k HDR without any problems.

After some pondering, that may be the best option; sell the x86 stuff and get a Pi 5 instead. Shame I can't use the hardware I currently own, but I'm already thinking about designing a case with an integrated 16x2 LCD and IR...*launches Fusion360*

I havn't used a Pi for media since the original Model B with Openelec. How's the experience these days? I remember being amazed at how well it handled HD content, given the price and form-factor, but UI navigation was a stuttery, slow affair. Presumably things have moved on since then.

Hey all.

I've just put together a little x86-based LE box, on the cheap, using bits from my old server.

Currently consists of;

• i5 4590T
    • Asus B85M-E
    • 8GB DDR3
    • Nvidia T400

The only issue here is the GPU; it won't output HDR. My limited research leads me to believe this is an Nvidia/Linux/LE "problem", so I guess I need to replace that GPU with something from AMD? The question is what? I'm not wanting to spend much money and it would need to be a low-profile card due to the Silverstone case I'm using. Anyone got any recommendations? There are a few 400 series cards on fleaBay at the moment (Radeon R5 430 2GB - £23) but I'm unsure if they'd be up to the task of 4K HDR.