Failure to authenticate while connecting to open VPN

• I am trying to connect to an openVPN server using cyber ghost. It works on my desktop but not on my raspberry pi with kodi. I've moved the crt and key files where they should be. I install the connection using the wizard on kodi... But it doesn't work. It worked in the past and I'm sure the VPN works on other devices. I'm getting this error in the log

Edited once, last by Oblivius (March 17, 2023 at 8:21 PM).

• The pass file probably needs "chmod 600" perms to skip that warning (but it's only a warning not an error). The other errors are fatal and it clearly doesn't see the files or there's something like a space in the filename or path.

• Either the configuration expects files to be in a standard location and you've put them somewhere else, or you configure the location in the add-on (which I don't use or have any experience with) but some kind of unhandled issue with paths or formatting or permissions prevents the files from being read. As generic advice; don't use paths with spaces, ensure the text files have unix line endings (not Windows) and ensure the certs have 600 perms not 644/755/777.

• I just suddenly started having issues using VPN Manager for OpenVPN on mine as well. My issue just started yesterday. Booted libreelec, VPN manager tried to authenticate through Nord, but then it tells me "Could not authenticate with VPN provider. Please check user name and password and try again." I'm not sure where the issue is yet, because this happens on 11.0 and 12.0 nightlies. It was fine on both of those Friday/Saturday.

I know it isn't my username and password, because I as well am logged on through my laptop. I've changed 0 settings in the app in Kodi for both 11.0 and 12.0. I also tried to update the add-on, but there are no updates. I'm using the add-on from Zomboided which is 7.0.1.

It just randomly stopped working. I'll test it later today. Unfortunately I don't have another VPN provider to try with to see if it's a Nord issue or not.

• I just suddenly started having issues using VPN Manager for OpenVPN on mine as well. My issue just started yesterday. Booted libreelec, VPN manager tried to authenticate through Nord, but then it tells me "Could not authenticate with VPN provider. Please check user name and password and try again." I'm not sure where the issue is yet, because this happens on 11.0 and 12.0 nightlies. It was fine on both of those Friday/Saturday.

I know it isn't my username and password, because I as well am logged on through my laptop. I've changed 0 settings in the app in Kodi for both 11.0 and 12.0. I also tried to update the add-on, but there are no updates. I'm using the add-on from Zomboided which is 7.0.1.

It just randomly stopped working. I'll test it later today. Unfortunately I don't have another VPN provider to try with to see if it's a Nord issue or not.

Hi, same here, deinstalled all and tried many options. All not working. Ticket open with the VPN provider, so far they could not help. Workaround for me is currently to save a ovpn file in a directory. When selecting this file the vpn connection works fine.

So i have had the same issue, i have managed to get my NordVPN to connect. I don't know if this first part is relevant however in my process i have updated the VPNManager by zomboided to version 7.0.2.

Once the VPNManager tried to run a wizard to which i entered my user name and password, it failed with the same issue.

After exiting the wizard i entered the 'setting' of 'VPN Manager and noticed the token was blank. i logged into my Nord account via the url displayed and generated a access token, entered this then re-ran the wizard and the connection is succesful.

It would appear that Nord is enforcing the use of an access token. i cannot recall entering a token before, but i haven't had to change anything in months.

• After raising a support ticket, I've just been informed by NordVPN support that NordVPN won't work with LibreElec 11/Kodi 20.

The actual reply was:

LibreELEC 11 has been updated to Kodi 20, which uses Python 3. Unfortunately, our app on Kodi only works with Python 2.7. Also, LibreELEC 10.0.4 uses Kodi 19.5, which also has Python 3 now. The reason why it may have worked before could have been that the Kodi versions used before were older.

This is depite the fact that I've been running v. 10 (Kodi 19) with no problems for some time!

Can anyone recommend a VPN that runs OK on the latest version.

• Hi,

I am using cyberghost with no problems (only username/password) and with the normal openvpn.service.

With installed telerising.script it is also working, but then I had to adjust the timing with systemd.

• See NordVPN stopped working for a work-around.

To add a little more detail to this workaround - see steps highlighted on extract from Github link.

Was unable to attach 7.0.2 Zip, from current location. Will try later and will confirm the fix, when implemented/tested:

Ok, I just created a pull request to update the addon so that it works again with NordVPN.
    The version will becomme 7.0.2 Note that it will only work on kodi Matrix (19.x) and Nexus (20.x), not on kodi 19 (Leia) or lower.

Thanks to @kpisacic to find out how to fix it.

@Zomboided can you please accept the pull request and make a release of it.

Unfortunately it's not just updating the addon and all works again. There is a little more to it because it broke because NordVPN changed sommething to their api. It looks like it is no longer possible to login with user/password or at least we don't know how to do that with their changes.
    Fortunately it is possible to login via a token (which was previously determined via the login with user/password). So instead of providing your login credentials to the addon, now the token must be provided.

To get a token you must login via a browser to your NordVPN account and go to https://aus01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%…w%3D&reserved=0

Scoll a bit down and there you will see a section Access Token and a button create new access token. Do that and there you will get the possibility to create a token for (I think) one month or a token that will never expire. If you create one for one month then you will have to repeat below procedure again after that time. I created a token that never expires.

Copy that token and keep it somewhere safe such that you can get it back because when this window is closed you will not be able to visualize it again via NordVPN. If you forget that token you will have to revoke the token first and then create a new one.

Now once this is done and you updated the service vpn manager addon go into the settings of the addon and do the following:

• Settings, VPN Configuration
    • Note that for VPN Provider NordVPN you will see it no longer asks for a user name and password but for a token.
    • If NordVPN was previously already configured, the settings are disabled and you must click on "Click here to update VPN settings"
    • Press Yes on message box
    • Enter the token you obtained via https://aus01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%…w%3D&reserved=0
    • Go to Settings, VPN Connections and setup at least your first connection and possible others (if you previously had nordvpn configured you have lost this and you must define the connections again. Fortunately its the only thing you loose)
    • Press Ok on the settings to save.

Another way, if you know how to do this, is edit settings.xml under userdata/addon_data/service.vpn.manager with a text editor and add thte token like this:

Code
    <setting id="vpn_token">the token from the nordvpn website comes here</setting>

Save this and restart kodi. The advantage of this way is that you can copy/paste the token and you don't loose your existing configurations.

All should be ok now.