Posts by gedakc

Rather than throwing out the Rpi3 if the video output is no longer working, you might consider repurposing the Rpi3 as a headless (no video monitor) device running a service like a web and/or file server. An internet search on the terms "raspberry pi os install headless" should bring up several suggestions.

This happens to me all over the board, rpi3, rpi4, different power cables and sources. Doesn't matter. It is not a power issue. Streams do get interrupted and only the audio returns. It started after the big update which is called Matrix. Leia did not have this problem.

I have had the same experience. LE 9.2.7 and LE 9.2.8 are rock solid with video and audio playback on my rpi2/3/3B+ computers. Anytime there is a disruption in the stream then both the video and audio pause. When the stream restarts then both video and audio resume.

This is not the case with LE 10+ and LE 11+.

I have tried new installs of each official release of LE 10 and LE 11. Whenever there is a disruption in the stream then the video either becomes a static image or goes black. When the stream resumes the audio continues and the video remains stuck. I have a network switch nearby where I can confirm from the blinking lights that the stream is continuing as well.

This is a significant problem that makes the newer versions of LE 10+ and LE 11+ unusable for me.

Thank you gadget_guy for describing how to get the VS1838 IR infrared receiver working with an Arduino and the code you posted. It is always good to have options.

Regarding IR remote controls, my experience has been that different manufacturers tend to use different codes to work with their respective devices. For example I have not encountered any "cross talk" issues with the remotes for my Samsung TV, Panasonic DVD player, and custom built MythTV PVR (uses MCE remote).

The tilde character "~" represents (and is replaced with) the users home directory in GNU/Linux.

For example a user named jsmith would likely have a home directory called /home/jsmith

Normally the root user has a home directory of / but on LibreELEC the root user has a home directory of /storage

Thank you popcornmix for the suggestions.

> Can you test with "Allow hardware acceleration with DRM PRIME" disabled?

Action:

Using LE 10.0.3 I disabled the setting with Gear icon -> Player -> Videos and disabled - Allow hardware acceleration with DRM PRIME. Note that Allow using DRM PRIME decoder is still enabled.

Result:

The subtitles are not displayed.

Action:

Next I disabled Allow using DRM PRIME decoder.

Result:

The subtitles are not displayed.

> It would be helpful if you can find a file that has the issue that isn't geolocked.

I am trying to locate a such a file.

In the meantime I was able to capture the .m3u8 file if that is of use.

desktop_master.m3u8 file:

#EXTM3U

#EXT-X-VERSION:4

#EXT-X-MEDIA:TYPE=AUDIO,GROUP-ID="audio",NAME="English",LANGUAGE="eng",DEFAULT=YES,AUTOSELECT=YES,URI="QualityLevels(192000)/Manifest(audio_eng_aacl,format=m3u8-aapl,filter=desktop)"

#EXT-X-MEDIA:TYPE=AUDIO,GROUP-ID="audio",NAME="English (Descriptive)",LANGUAGE="eng",AUTOSELECT=YES,CHARACTERISTICS="public.accessibility.describes-video",URI="QualityLevels(192000)/Manifest(audiodv_eng_aacl,format=m3u8-aapl,filter=desktop)"

#EXT-X-MEDIA:TYPE=CLOSED-CAPTIONS,GROUP-ID="CC",LANGUAGE="en",NAME="English",DEFAULT=YES,AUTOSELECT=YES,INSTREAM-ID="CC1"

#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:BANDWIDTH=2768070,RESOLUTION=1280x720,CODECS="avc1.4d401f,mp4a.40.2",AUDIO="audio",CLOSED-CAPTIONS="CC"

QualityLevels(2500515)/Manifest(video,format=m3u8-aapl,filter=desktop)

#EXT-X-I-FRAME-STREAM-INF:BANDWIDTH=2768070,RESOLUTION=1280x720,CODECS="avc1.4d401f",URI="QualityLevels(2500515)/Manifest(video,format=m3u8-aapl,filter=desktop,type=keyframes)"

#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:BANDWIDTH=3688341,RESOLUTION=1280x720,CODECS="avc1.4d401f,mp4a.40.2",AUDIO="audio",CLOSED-CAPTIONS="CC"

QualityLevels(3400976)/Manifest(video,format=m3u8-aapl,filter=desktop)

#EXT-X-I-FRAME-STREAM-INF:BANDWIDTH=3688341,RESOLUTION=1280x720,CODECS="avc1.4d401f",URI="QualityLevels(3400976)/Manifest(video,format=m3u8-aapl,filter=desktop,type=keyframes)"

#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:BANDWIDTH=2052054,RESOLUTION=960x540,CODECS="avc1.4d401f,mp4a.40.2",AUDIO="audio",CLOSED-CAPTIONS="CC"

QualityLevels(1799912)/Manifest(video,format=m3u8-aapl,filter=desktop)

#EXT-X-I-FRAME-STREAM-INF:BANDWIDTH=2052054,RESOLUTION=960x540,CODECS="avc1.4d401f",URI="QualityLevels(1799912)/Manifest(video,format=m3u8-aapl,filter=desktop,type=keyframes)"

#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:BANDWIDTH=1234539,RESOLUTION=640x360,CODECS="avc1.42c01e,mp4a.40.2",AUDIO="audio",CLOSED-CAPTIONS="CC"

QualityLevels(999996)/Manifest(video,format=m3u8-aapl,filter=desktop)

#EXT-X-I-FRAME-STREAM-INF:BANDWIDTH=1234539,RESOLUTION=640x360,CODECS="avc1.42c01e",URI="QualityLevels(999996)/Manifest(video,format=m3u8-aapl,filter=desktop,type=keyframes)"

#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:BANDWIDTH=825700,RESOLUTION=640x360,CODECS="avc1.42c01e,mp4a.40.2",AUDIO="audio",CLOSED-CAPTIONS="CC"

QualityLevels(599957)/Manifest(video,format=m3u8-aapl,filter=desktop)

#EXT-X-I-FRAME-STREAM-INF:BANDWIDTH=825700,RESOLUTION=640x360,CODECS="avc1.42c01e",URI="QualityLevels(599957)/Manifest(video,format=m3u8-aapl,filter=desktop,type=keyframes)"

#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:BANDWIDTH=621314,RESOLUTION=416x234,CODECS="avc1.42c00d,mp4a.40.2",AUDIO="audio",CLOSED-CAPTIONS="CC"

QualityLevels(399971)/Manifest(video,format=m3u8-aapl,filter=desktop)

#EXT-X-I-FRAME-STREAM-INF:BANDWIDTH=621314,RESOLUTION=416x234,CODECS="avc1.42c00d",URI="QualityLevels(399971)/Manifest(video,format=m3u8-aapl,filter=desktop,type=keyframes)"

#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:BANDWIDTH=204384,CODECS="mp4a.40.2",AUDIO="audio",CLOSED-CAPTIONS="CC"

QualityLevels(192000)/Manifest(audiodv_eng_aacl,format=m3u8-aapl,filter=desktop)

I will continue to search for a non-geolocked example.

Thanks again for your help with this issue.

Problem

After upgrade from LE 10.0.2 to LE 10.0.3, embedded Closed Captions (subtitles) are no longer displayed on Raspberry Pi 3 model B. This occurred with an h264 stream using the video addon for Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) (geo restricted to Canada - configure with free user account from watch.cbc.ca).

The closed captions return when I downgrade back to LE 10.0.2.

Log Files

Notes

• In the above log files some buffering was experienced, but that did not impact the ability to view or not view closed captions.
    • The problem consistently occurs regardless of whether the CBC video addon is configured to playback using FFMPEG or InputStreamAdaptive.
    • Closed captions are properly displayed using same CBC video addon on 2017 NVidia Sheild.
    • External subtitle streams/files do work with both LE 10.0.2 and LE 10.0.3 as can be verified using the video addon for ConTV.

Steps to Demonstrate Problem

First enable embedded closed captions.

• Navigate to Gear icon -> Player -> Language.
    • Navigate to Enable parsing for closed captions and press Enter to toggle to active.

Next begin playback of an h264 video stream or file that contains embedded closed captions.

For example: Shows/Animation/The Adventures of Napkin Man!/Season 3/Queen of the Fairies

The default installation seems to enable closed captions. A person can check while the video is playing by opening the playback menu "key m" and ensure that closed captions are enabled using the subtitles icon.

Background Details

The following information was displayed on the screen when I pressed the o key.

Video decoder: ff-h264_v4l2m2m-drm_prime (HW)

Pixel format: drm_prime

Deinterlace method: none

Video stream: 1,280x720 px, 1.78 AR, 29.970 FPS

Audo stream: FL, FR, ff-aac, 32 bit, 44,100 Hz

System memory usage: 24%

System CPU usage: #0: 10% #1: 2.1% #2: 24% #3 6.1%

Each person is entitled to their own view of what is user friendly or not. Personally I find setting up both Tvheadend and MythTV quite complex. For day-to-day use I find both of these quite enjoyable, with a preference for MythTV as it has been better at deciphering and displaying Closed Captions embedded in OTA ATSC shows.

From my experience using Kodi (5 years), Tvheadend (3 years), and MythTV (10 years), all of the front ends occasionally crash. However frontend crashes while watching a recording are extremely rare (at least for me). A restart of the frontend was all that I needed to continue watching. These frontend crashes have not adversely impacted the ability of the backend to record.