Font size on debug console

• I switched over to another computer and always use the debug console flag for switching over to the command line. But on this computer the letters are very tiny and the regular ways on selecting larger font sizes do not work. Setfont for example could not be found.

Does anyone know how to get a larger font in the debugging console?

• Since you don't specify the OS or app that you are using for the terminal/console it's impossible to say; but most apps have an option to increase the default font size in their settings. If you want more help, be more specific.

• Hi, just regular LibreElec 10.3 generic in a multiboot setup (grub) using:

menuentry "LibreElec" {

set root=(hd0,6)

linux /KERNEL KERNEL boot=/dev/sda6 disk=/dev/sda5 quiet nosplash tty systemd.debug_shell

}

• You don't configure the OS in LE to give bigger console text. You connect via SSH using an app and you set font size in the app. Or - you need to explain what you are trying to do - because it is not clear.

• When in this configuration I boot up LE, I can switch to the console using Alt-Ctrl-F3.

For Ubuntu, I can use ubuntu dpkg-reconfigure console-setup to increase the font for the tty console.

I can update the grub configuration to use a lower resolution so that the grub menu is not very small.

There should also be a setfont and/or vconsole route to increase the font size for tty terminals but I have no experience with those tools. But neither are they available within the linux used for LE as far as I can tell.

And yes, I know I can SSH into LE. But that isn't always a practical solution for me.

• Hi, just regular LibreElec 10.3 generic in a multiboot setup (grub) using:

menuentry "LibreElec" {

set root=(hd0,6)

linux /KERNEL KERNEL boot=/dev/sda6 disk=/dev/sda5 quiet nosplash tty systemd.debug_shell

}

This debug shell can also be enabled from within the system:

systemctl enable debug-shell.service

Works on every device. But in order to use it kodi.service needs to be stopped first. Because when it's running it "hijacks" GPU and makes virtual consoles inaccessible. That is changing VTs with Ctrl+Alt+F<n> or chvt produces no visual effect. At least that's what happens on RPi4

99.999% of LE users have no idea that a local console exists (in debug mode) and thus have no need to access it, so we haven't wasted space in the image adding font-size-changing binaries that 0.001% of users or less will use.

It can be useful at times for those of us with keyboard attached to their box (and good eyesight). There is also possibility of having no device at hand to SSH from.