LE10 + Pi400 + CEC + HDMI audio

• Hello folks,

tried LE 10.0.2 and 10.0.3 on my RPi400 with an old Grundig TV, no separate audio, want to use a single HDMI cable for video, audio and CEC.

I am using the HDMI port next to the sdcard in order to be able to use my TV remote via CEC (I've read only this port works for this purpose).

The problem: no audio via HDMI, but CEC and video works

When I use the other HDMI port video and audio works, but CEC not.

I tried OSMC and everything works on that HDMI port next to the sdcard, so I can exclude hardware problems.

I already tried what I've read here editing config.txt and added "hdmi_drive=2" without success.

I need some advice what else I can try. Who has a running setup (which I thought is the simplest that one can have) similar to mine and can help me?

Thanks in advance, cheers Heiko

• No CEC on HDMI-1 is normal, no audio on HDMI-0 isn't. We need a log for the HDMI-0 setup.

Please provide a full debug log.

How to post a log (wiki)

1. Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging
    2. Restart Kodi
    3. Replicate the problem
    4. Generate a log URL (do not post/upload logs to the forum)

use "Settings > LibreELEC > System > Paste system logs" or run "pastekodi" over SSH, then post the URL link
  • I don't see any audio errors in log (it looks much like mine).

Can you confirm if any local setting are causing the issue? Simplest way is to ssh in and:

Code
    systemctl stop kodi
    mv /storage/.kodi /storage/.kodi_back
    systemctl start kodi

You should now have kodi running with default settings. Any audio from navigating gui or playing a video?

If you want to return to your old settings then:

Code
    systemctl stop kodi
    rm -rf /storage/.kodi
    mv /storage/.kodi_back /storage/.kodi
    systemctl start kodi
  • It is a fresh install of LE 10.0.3 with basically default settings, I only changed keyboard to DE/German at three different places.

I also took a look into the log and this "sounds" ah looks good to my eyes:

2022-11-02 09:27:16.832 T:915 DEBUG <general>: CActiveAESink::OpenSink - ALSA Initialized:
    2022-11-02 09:27:16.832 T:915 DEBUG <general>: Output Device : vc4-hdmi-0 (vc4hdmi0)
    2022-11-02 09:27:16.832 T:915 DEBUG <general>: Sample Rate : 44100
    2022-11-02 09:27:16.832 T:915 DEBUG <general>: Sample Format : AE_FMT_S24NE3
    2022-11-02 09:27:16.832 T:915 DEBUG <general>: Channel Count : 2
    2022-11-02 09:27:16.832 T:915 DEBUG <general>: Channel Layout: FL, FR
    2022-11-02 09:27:16.832 T:915 DEBUG <general>: Frames : 2205
    2022-11-02 09:27:16.832 T:915 DEBUG <general>: Frame Size : 6

But no audio, not in the GUI and not in movies or music titles. And I can confirm that it is _not_ muted.

I have no idea what AE_FMT_S24NE3 is and why it tells "Your hardware does not support AE_FMT_FLOAT, trying other formats".

Maybe this one is indicating a problem:

Nov 02 09:27:16.824820 kodi kernel: hdmi-audio-codec hdmi-audio-codec.1.auto: ASoC: error at snd_soc_dai_startup on i2s-hifi: -19
    Nov 02 09:27:16.825365 kodi kernel: hdmi-audio-codec hdmi-audio-codec.1.auto: ASoC: error at snd_soc_dai_startup on i2s-hifi: -19

Well, maybe I carry the RaspBee to another place and try a different TV.

• The things you mentioned are all normal and occur on my system with working audio.

Another display would be a useful test.

Also if your current display has another hdmi port try that.

• Code
    2022-11-02 09:27:20.824 T:959     DEBUG <general>: UpdateAudioSystemStatus - no CEC capable amplifier found
    2022-11-02 09:27:21.401 T:912     DEBUG <general>: Sink changed

I didn't know CEC is related to audio, but it seems like it is. The log says it all. Go RPi -> TV -> AVR instead, or use both HDMI outputs.

PS: If your setup is just RPi -> TV, then incompatible CEC breaks your audio.

• There is no AVR, just RPi -> TV (with CEC, it works at least)

Thanks so far, tomorrow I will try:

- another HDMI port on current TV

- another TV

- somehow switch off CEC init on RaspBee (but I think, I already tried that in config menu of Kodi without success) and see if that log msg (Sink changed) disappears and audio maybe starts working on hdmi0

- maybe... if nothing helps, I will use RaspBee hdmi1 (where audio works) and buy a remote for Kodi

• I have to take back my statement, that audio works an hdmi1: it does not. Thought with LE 10.0.2 it did, but I am not sure anymore.

- switched off CEC on RaspBee: no audio

- I tried RPi400 hdmi1 (next to power): no audio

- I tried the two other HDMI ports on the TV: no audio

- I tried another TV (Sony): audio works (Log: http://ix.io/4ePo)

With OSMC the original hw setup worked (but want to use LE, because two times OSMC did not come up anymore for some reason, seems unreliable, fresh install was needed), will now again install OSMC, switch on debug log and compare them.