Posts by gibbon

I'm not able to launch games stored in zip files when browsing Games source. Opening zip doesn't seem to do anything. Surprisingly everything works when done from File manager: I can browse zip contents and select rom file and Kodi presents a list of compatible emulators.

I tested this feature in Ubuntu with Kodi 20.2 from PPA and it worked. I'm able to browse zip and launch rom from inside:

LE version: 11.0.6

Device: RPi4

Thank you for your detailed explanation and pointers. Now I need to experiment with build system commands a little. From what I've learned I can see two possible ways of adding something reliably to LE: one is producing a static binary with distro toolchain; the other is maintaining a package with dependencies within LE build system. The first one is more suited for quick testing (just build, scp to LE, run) the other for better long term integration and rebuilding.

Hi there I recently tried to cross compile a command line app that uses Qt toolkit to use with LE. Unfortunately, I couldn't link qt5 libraries statically because distros don't ship static versions of them. I didn't want to recompile entire toolkit so I started to search for any traces of qt inside LE and found qtbase package. I can see it's used as dependency of hyperion addon but do any of its files end up in LE filesystem?

Here's what I'm missing btw:

So there's some inconvenience to get to the DVD title but it works and it proves that DVDs can also be played by a DVD drive connected to a hub.

I have DVD drive (in USB3 enclosure) connected through a powered hub as well Play Disc entry appears in the main menu of Estuary although I've noticed that it sometimes there is a delay. The problem with my powered hub is that drive keeps being spun up periodically even after powering off RPi causing inconvenience of having to disconnect the drive after usage.

/storage/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml .. create it if required, it doesn't exist (as it's not needed) by default.

chewitt

This is only required when one wants to change the default port number (9090).

In Kodi 10.0.4 only EventServer port (9777) is opened after restart despite the option "Allow remote control from applications on this system" being enabled.

Code
    # netstat -tulp | grep kodi
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:36666           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      1047/kodi.bin
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:50152           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      1047/kodi.bin
    tcp        0      0 :::36666                :::*                    LISTEN      1047/kodi.bin
    udp        0      0 localhost:9777          0.0.0.0:*                           1047/kodi.bin

After toggling the option JSON-RPC is initialized and the port 9090 is opened and allows connections.

There is a warning in the log during boot regarding JSON-RPC not sure if it's relevant to the issue

Code
    2023-02-13 03:55:47.383 T:1047  WARNING <general>: JSONRPC: Could not parse type "Setting.Details.SettingList"
    2023-02-13 03:55:47.383 T:1047     INFO <general>: JSONRPC: Adding type "Setting.Details.SettingList" to list of incomplete definitions (waiting for "Setting.Details.Setting")
    2023-02-13 03:55:47.384 T:1047     INFO <general>: JSONRPC: Resolving incomplete types/methods referencing Setting.Details.Setting
    2023-02-13 03:55:47.412 T:1047     INFO <general>: JSONRPC v12.4.0: Successfully initialized

Does netcat work for anyone? I tried connecting to Kodi JSON-RPC port but it results with error:

Code
    # nc localhost 9090; echo $?

Edit:

Seems there is a bug with JSON-RPC port not being opened after reboot which requires toggling menu option "Services/Control/Allow remote control from applications on this system" each time

rk75
    December 29, 2019 at 10:30 PM

Oh nevermind the above procedure is outdated. Anyway getedid create correctly dumped EDID and setup files in /flash for booting with it. No manual steps needed and everything works now. But I still don't understand why kernel needs such assistance: is this RPi limitation or faulty TV?

I'm facing a similar problem with an old TV as described by thread author. Additional symptom is that unplugging and reattaching the HDMI cable during Kodi operation results in black screen until Kodi is restarted. I will try above procedure tomorrow and see if it helps.

I'm a bit curious why EDID needs to be stored in two places:

- /flash/edid.dat

- /storage/.config/firmware/edid/edid.bin

The first one will be used by firmware during boot and the second one is for kernel?

Code
    2023-01-28 02:22:08.697 T:1434     INFO <general>: Starting Kodi (19.5 (19.5.0) Git:19.5-Matrix). Platform: Linux ARM 32-bit
    2023-01-28 02:22:08.697 T:1434     INFO <general>: Using Release Kodi x32
    2023-01-28 02:22:08.697 T:1434     INFO <general>: Kodi compiled 2023-01-07 by GCC 10.2.0 for Linux ARM 32-bit version 5.10.110 (330350)
    2023-01-28 02:22:08.697 T:1434     INFO <general>: Running on BCM2835 with LibreELEC (official): 10.0.4, kernel: Linux ARM 64-bit version 5.10.110

Why is Kodi is compiled for 32-bit ARM in RPi4 build? It might have been the case before in earlier releases but it's the first time I noticed this.

Yes but the effect is that the audio is then downmixed to a stereo signal.

What kind of audio interface you're using? You should be able to send multichannel PCM over HDMI as long as the receiver supports it:

For digital audio, if an HDMI device has audio, it is required to implement the baseline format: stereo (uncompressed) PCM. Other formats are optional, with HDMI allowing up to 8 channels of uncompressed audio at sample sizes of 16 bits, 20 bits, or 24 bits, with sample rates of 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.4 kHz, or 192 kHz

HDMI - Wikipedia
    en.wikipedia.org

AFAIK current latest LE & Kodi releases does NOT have a special support for DVB-T2 USB sticks. So you have to check whether the DVB-T USB stick you wish to use is supported by Linux kernel (release that current LE is running on) or not.

I'd have to investigate this since I'm not sure whether they need any device-specific driver in kernel. They are USB devices after all so also part of some standard USB "class"?

This thingy effectively prevents you from having a heatsink? I don't see the point then unless you're okay with not fully utilizing your RPi 3/4 CPU and GPU. And Pi Zeros lack Ethernet so they won't make very good job of distributing channels to LAN. Personally I was thinking about getting DVB-T2 USB stick. But I don't know how good is their support under LE and Kodi.

I tried to replace the path VIDEOS FOTOS (old) by the new one VIDEOS FOTOS SERIES in MyVideosXX.db

Ok I think you misunderstood how text REPLACE function works. You did

REPLACE(strPath,'/current/VIDEOS FOTOS/','/updated/VIDEOS FOTOS SERIES/');

while what you describe is more like

REPLACE(strPath,'/VIDEOS FOTOS/','/VIDEOS FOTOS SERIES/');

What I don't know is if it's also necessary to repace the HDD label (PELIS 04 instead of VIDEOS FOTOS and if so, where it is.

Of course. It's in various places. You can copy files to your PC and use graphical tool DB Browser for SQLite to browse database tables (Browse Data tab) and execute SQL (Execute SQL tab).