HDR on x86 Hardware

• That image was intended for Noumenon for troubleshooting his projector issue with his NUC11. The reason for tigerlake optimization flag is that I use it in my personal builds and I don't really have time to do a clean build with default gcc optimization flags.

Thanks for putting this together for me. I’m planning to test it, but life has gotten super busy and it will probably be a week or so before I get a chance.

thanks again

• smp It doesn’t seem that switching to YCbCr output fixed my problem. I got the build up and running and can playback 1080p files fine (the projector says that color space is 12bit, BT709), but I can’t get 4k HDR files to playback. I wonder if the issue is lack of BT2020 support?

thanks for your help

• I'm just trying to playback 4kHDR at 24hz, and my projector gives no output. It will display the kodi interface at 4k SDR 60hz without issue, but when I go to play the file, I get no output.

• I'm just trying to playback 4kHDR at 24hz, and my projector gives no output. It will display the kodi interface at 4k SDR 60hz without issue, but when I go to play the file, I get no output.

Just to give another users experiance, i bought a NUC11i5TNK and sold it on as i could never get either HDMI to play ball with 4khdr24hz every time was a blank screen with no signal on the TV,

• Just to give another users experiance, i bought a NUC11i5TNK and sold it on as i could never get either HDMI to play ball with 4khdr24hz every time was a blank screen with no signal on the TV,

Did you find a platform that worked for you?

• currently using an odroid n2+ with coreelec and it just works for me even my sick habbit of liking JAVA menu's, have a 12th gen itx build but that seems to have problems with audio at 24hz and gives random blips research looks to be the linux driver at fault for that

• yeah i can't use my prefered skin or anything with the odroid but end of the day i use it for the playback and audio it just works, got suckered into trying the vim4 but that chipset cannot do HD audio passthrough as a bug in the driver and amlogic not fixing for 4 months so far, so that got sold on also

windows always works flawless but soooo bloated just for kodi use and brings other annoyances, so i think i am staying with odroid for a while longer, i'm a tech but can't do what's needed to debug linux drivers and the like

• Is there any newer build available? I'm still using build devel-20220807005106-45816fd

If there is no newer one available, could you provide one? smp :)

Or is HDR available on official builds already?

I'm using Intel NUC7PJYH2

• Is there any newer build available? I'm still using build devel-20220807005106-45816fd

If there is no newer one available, could you provide one? smp :)

Or is HDR available on official builds already?

I'm using Intel NUC7PJYH2

HDR is in the nightly builds.

• lrusak hasn't updated his HDR repo for a long time, so no new builds.

Some of his HDR work was merged in Kodi, so it partially works in official builds.

Only HEVC 24p HDR10 videos seem to work for now.

What does not work (TV does not switch to HDR mode): VP9 HDR videos, HLG videos, any 50/60 fps HDR videos.

Also, Kodi require an extra patch that allows the TVs to switch to BT2020 colorimetry mode. This is not yet merged in Kodi.

• So I just built a Ryzen 5600g system. It’s doing the same thing. It will not output HDR correctly unless while playing a video I press “\” and then the system switches resolution it appears and it asks me to keep the setting. I go no and then it switched back and HDR is outputting correctly.

I also noticed even though I disabled mouse control in the Kodi settings. When I play a video I can see the mouse until I press the “\” and once outputting correctly I don’t see it.

Also should it be saying ff-hevc (sw) ?

I've also uploaded the Log

http://ix.io/4jcl

I can confirm this with an AMD RX560. Starting an HDR movie will not switch my TV over to HDR but if i then press "\", answer the resolution question, it goes to HDR.

• If your distro runs Xorg as the windowing system HDR is not possible (and not likely to change). If it uses Wayland it's possible with the right kernel drivers and mesa for codec, colourspace and colorimetry support, and right now that's more complete with OpenGLES (which is not standard) not OpenGL (standard). And then you'll be challenged by Wayland lacking support for dynamic refresh-rate switching which is essential for a better playback experience. So it's possible, but a conventional desktop distro is probably missing essentials due to favouring stable code over latest code. And even if you pick a rolling and more bleeding edge distro you're probably swimming uphill with a few things to resolve. LE isn't constrained with 'Desktop' requirements so we have it a little easier, but even LE is cannot avoid the reality of Kodi only supporting rather basic HDR things on Linux today. There are PRs on GitHub for some (but not all) missing bits of the puzzle; there are still several unresolved "chicken vs egg" issues between kernel and userspace that need to be addressed. RedHat are sponsoring a Wayland meet-up next month which aims to get enough 'name' developers in the room to agree on a path forwards for the main problems. Hopefully that succeeds, as the discussion has been been rolling on for some time now. Once there is a clear statement of technical direction Kodi developers can plot a course on the missing pieces. Right now Kodi only really supports HDR on Android and Windows; because the underlying OS support HDR and thus we can leverage that. LE is next-best (or least worst) ignoring the existence of some ARM vendor kernels (built for Android) but LE is still dependent on a number of "Work in Progress" pieces that aren't upstream yet, and moving slowly.

• chewitt so the current nightlies running GBM dont support proper HDR on x86 is what your saying?

As in it wont switch to rec2020?

My NUC11 switches to HDR correctly but not checked if its actually switched colorspace.