Posts by Noumenon

I just setup my Pi 5 with a pineberry HatDrive! and a tiny NVME drive. It runs like a champ and loads all of my thumbs pretty much instantly. Running LE11 - 4kHDR and HD audio work perfectly. After futzing around with x86 for the past couple years, this is by far the best, easiest solution I’ve found.

The only problem is my flirc case doesn’t fit with the HatDrive! on top.

there is a bug the first time you boot LE12. you just have to reboot again and it should pop up.

Noumenon
    November 25, 2023 at 11:45 AM

I got my raspberry pi 5 the other day and have it up and running with LE11. 4K HDR with HD audio is working great.

oddly I was unable to install LE12 - I got a Mount_storage error. using the same card and process LE11 worked fine. I tried with 2 different cards and had the same result.

smp It doesn’t seem that switching to YCbCr output fixed my problem. I got the build up and running and can playback 1080p files fine (the projector says that color space is 12bit, BT709), but I can’t get 4k HDR files to playback. I wonder if the issue is lack of BT2020 support?

thanks for your help

That image was intended for Noumenon for troubleshooting his projector issue with his NUC11. The reason for tigerlake optimization flag is that I use it in my personal builds and I don't really have time to do a clean build with default gcc optimization flags.

Thanks for putting this together for me. I’m planning to test it, but life has gotten super busy and it will probably be a week or so before I get a chance.

thanks again

It’s such a mess at the moment, AMD cards etc will output 4:2:2 but HDR support is broken. Intel is the best at the moment but will only output RGB which is ok.

At this point, I'm convinced this NUC11TNKi3 isn't willing to do more than 8-bit video output from HDMI2 (HDMI1 is I think is a displayport).

atoulmin can you tell me exactly which NUC models you have gotten to work with your projector?

I'm just trying to trouble shoot.

I know I can play these files back with corelec at 10bit on my projector, but I don't think it is outputting in RGB, i think it is YCbCr (and bt2020).

RGB 10 bit won't play on my projector for some reason, although it looks like it should be able to, according to the manual (and other people with a similar projector aren't having problems?).

I'm a bit stymied. If I can't figure this out, I think I'm going to try and RMA this NUC.

edit: is the lack of a 10 bit color profile (bt2020) the reason that 10 bit rbg isn't working?

well, you’re onto something. as it turns out 8-bit works, but 10-bit doesn’t at 4k24. which is super frustrating. is there a timeline for YCbCr support?

here is my output from proptest (felt a bit sketchy running a script from dropbox, btw. I hope I can trust you guys 😅):

hastebin

I have a JVC NX5, reading through the manual it says it can only do RGB at 8-bit when running at 50/60 hz, but otherwise does not make any specification.

So change your resolution in the menu to 1920x1080 50/60

Then make sure match video frame rate on start and stop is on. It then should switch to 4K 24 BT2020 for playing movies. See how that goes.

I tried this - no luck. It is blanking the screen and adjusting the frame rate on stop/start. it just won’t do 24hz for some reason.

Have you read this article and following the recommendations? This forum post over at OSMC is also worth a read.

If you're having issues with 24hz/23.98hz you might need to investigate the "Allow 3:2 pulldown refresh rates" setting.

yeah, I’ve reviewed all the docs, but no luck. I definitely don’t want 3:2 pulldown. I want native 24hz.

thanks for all the help everyone

well, sounds like I need to get 24hz, or rather 23.98hz working. anyone have any ideas on that? I’m not sure what is going on with my video pipeline. I tried copying the edid, but that didn’t help. I’m not totally sure what the Prime DRM decoding does, but it doesn’t seem to affect my problem on or off.

I did manage to get HD audio working (with playback at 60hz).

What version of LibreELEC are you using? The nightly generic? Make sure you don’t use the generic legacy.

Also do you have match frame rate turned on? I have a nuc11 and it works fine. There is no 4k60HDR support at the moment.

beta1, non-legacy. Yes, I have it set to adjust the refresh rate on start/stop.

On Intel hardware 4K 50/60Hz HDMI video modes will always be RGB 8-bit because Intel driver does not support YCbCr 4:2:2. Some type of dithering would be required.

Wrong colorimetry issue was discussed a few posts back. BT.2020 works with this unmerged PR. It will not be included in Kodi 20/LE 11.

gotcha. 24hz 4:2:2 is supported though?

I came across that thread about the bt.2020 issue. thats a bummer - the expanded color space is like half the point of HDR.

I was having a similar issue running through my nuc11 through a yamaha 3060. I had initially installed LE connected to a computer monitor and then swapped to my AVR/projector. Re-installing only connected to the AVR/projector fixed my problem.

prior to reinstalling, I copied the EDID, which also got the display working, but for some reason VAAPI hardware decoding did not work until I did a fresh install.

now I’m running into refresh rate issues: RE: LE11 HDR builds for Intel and AMD