Linux e1000e base driver for Intel Gigabit Ethernet Network Connection

• While switching things on and off, I may have had both wifi and internet enabled. Is this a problem? Obviously the system only connects to one at a time?

but switching connections needs some time and that could cause your problem.

- but usually it should stay with the strongest connection, usually LAN -

anyway, you could in an console let

journal -f

running to see if playback issues happens at the same time when connection switches (if they do at all)

• GDPR-7 I think you might be on to something.... I have had my wifi disabled for 24 hours or so, and no problems as yet! I played two movies while doing other jobs around the house, and they had no freezing occurred.

I did also update to the nightly build as suggested by chewitt. Maybe I should have tested one thing at a time.

In a few days time I might turn the wifi back on again and see if the problem returns.

Getting very close to figuring this out now... thank you all for your help. I am very happy :thumbup:

• Hi Guys

After a few days without any problems the issue occurred again on Saturday night at 8:07PM while watching a movie. I grabbed the logs immediately.

Your help diagnosing the issue would be most appreciated.

Kodi.log

chewitt This is using the Kodi Nigthly build

Let me know if you need anything else

Gary

• Also, here is the crash log...

kodi_crashlog.log

• I believe I provided the full logs? Was there something else you were expecting?

Thanks for the info and link, I will double check the Settings → System → Logging section to make sure debug logging is enabled. I was also install the Kodi Log Uploader to make things a bit easier.

Could be a few days before I can replicate the bug, as it happens randomly.

Talk soon.

• Talk soon.

and please describe your problem exactly !

- what you're doing when your bug occur

- what do you see

- and so on ...

please see:

DaVu
    April 5, 2016 at 11:53 AM

as more info's you provide as sooner the problem could be solved

Edited once, last by GDPR-7 (January 29, 2022 at 3:24 PM).

To reproduce the error I simply disconnected from wifi, connected ethernet and watched a movie

"disconnected from Wifi" ?!

and ethernet was okay...

- me is somewhat confused reading the thread title -

anyway, regarding ffmpeg and nfs errors in your log's *I* would try the following:

- stay connected with ethernet and then try to play exactly the same video

- stay connected with ethernet and the try to play another video

then, try the above both with wifi (ethernet cable pulled !)

As I said I'm no expert reading log's, but for me either your video is damaged (WebRip ?) or your wifi is flaky.

But it seems you answered the question already (cit.: "connected ethernet and watched a movie") even when the "a" in the cit. would be a "the" !

another hint:

under unix/linux blanks and brackets have special meanings *I* would (try to) avoid them (blanks => underscores, ...)

• Hi GDPR-7

Thanks for the response, but please let me explain.... the issue was probably explained thoroughly at the top of the thread, but you may have forgotten over time.

The issue is not with wifi. The issue is with ethernet. I personally believe it might be the intel driver, but it could be something else.

It is defintely not the video, this happens with almost every video I play. I have also played the same video several times over wifi and etherent. Ethernet is the only time that Kodi freezes.

I have played the same videos on another machine over ethernet without issues... So, seems like my NAS is OK.

Could you expand on your hint regarding linux? not sure where I was using blanks/underscores?

heitbaum  CvH chewitt do the logs shed any light?

• sorry, I now realize I got your third sentence in comment #28 wrong, so scratch my comment #29

If you're convinced it's ethernet and you could reliable reproduce the error then there should be something in the "systemd journal" (a log file which log's stuff related to the OS (Linux), e.g. driver issues, ...)

I would suggest the following:

- reboot

- login via ssh

(- maybe in a 2cd run: with what heitbaum in comment #10 suggested)

- reproduce the error

- run:

journalctl -b0 | paste

- post the link you got

Could you expand on your hint regarding linux? not sure where I was using blanks/underscores?

blanks/brackets in the name of directories and the movie name:

see:

Code
    nfs://192.168.1.125/nfs/Public/Shared Videos/New Release Movies/The Matrix 4 Resurrections (2021)/

Edited 6 times, last by GDPR-7 (February 6, 2022 at 8:22 PM).

• The Kodi debug log shows a connectivity/networking issue with typical stream stall and reconnect sequence. It also shows you playing pirated media .. and at that point I lost interest.

• So any ideas on how to prevent this connectivity issue. We seem to be going around in circles?

As mentioned, this does not happen on my other kodi windows machine.

• So any ideas on how to prevent this connectivity issue. We seem to be going around in circles?

one usually prevents issues after it is analyzed in deep where the issue is coming from.

did provide enough log's ?

for my taste: no

(maybe still, but *I* can't (lack of knowledge) read out of your last log why exactly the issue occur; maybe one other can -)

so:

your answers for comment #9, #10, #31 ?

never seen ...

that's - for my taste - the beginning of "circles", I'm - to be honest - not much interested in.

okay ?

• Hi GDPR-7

Thank you for your response.... let me spell it out again:

1. I am using the nightly build
    2. I am using a NUC5i3RYK

3. I have supplied the debug log

4. It happens when ethernet is connected (wifi disconnected) and we are streaming videos/movies (whether they are pirated or not, who cares).
    5. Using the exact same machine, same network running windows kodi, everything is fine.

Was there something else you needed?