Chrome Update Question

• Zynth! Generic and Generic-legacy have different repos, so you can't find Chrome at Generic repo.

Switch to Generic-legacy from SSH login:

Code
    cd /storage/.update
    wget https://releases.libreelec.tv/LibreELEC-Generic-legacy.x86_64-11.0.1.img.gz
    reboot
  • I have just installed Libreelec 11 generic, and I am a new user.

For some reason, I can't find the Chrome addon at all, in the repository "libreelec Add-ons" under "program add-ons".

Am I missing something?

Chrome browser is X window application. Libreelec 11 generic does not use X window. They switched to different rendering to make ARM and x86 builds more similar. If you need X window apps, they might work only in Libreelec 11 legacy build for x86/x64

• I am on LE 11 generic legacy x86. Still can't see chrome in addons- so I need to use LE 10 for this?

Edit - it is there actually, it just didn't show up right away after the update to legacy.

• Just for everyone's info:

LibreELEC-Generic-legacy.x86_64-11.0.4.img.gz
    DID NOT successfully install Chrome addon

LibreELEC-Generic-legacy.x86_64-11.0.0.img.gz

DID successfully install chrome

I got it from here:

Index of /

To successfully get sound, make sure to set the custom sound device to the following:

'Use custom audio device'

- Audio device:

plughw:0,3

I personally can't live without the Chrome addon.
    So I can't update past 11.0.0 it seems.

Does anyone know the differences between versions 9.1.002 and 11.0?

I've been using 9 for a long time because I didn't want to update and risk losing Chrome, which I use to watch quite a few things (my PC has a problem which means I can only use Kodi on the stand-alone USB stick: LibreElec)

I just tried 11.0 and saw that Chrome DOES work on it, but I'm wondering if there's any point using that instead, which would involve re-creating all my customisations, media sources, playlists and so on.

Edited once, last by TimbOz: Merged a post created by TimbOz into this post. (January 1, 2024 at 5:40 PM).

• Quick bit of advice needed - before I dive into the rabbit hole of attempting to get a Wayland build of chrome/chromium running on LE12-Generic (NON legacy) ... are there any glaringly obvious STOP signs that more experienced code wranglers are already aware of that would make this a doomed attempt ?

• You will want to start here. So not a generic or generic-legacy image.

To be forewarned - scripts/build Kodi is currently failing in this make image.

PROJECT=Generic ARCH=x86_64 DEVICE=wayland make image

• I thought I might offer this info to TI as he seems to have issues with 11.03 and Chrome. I installed LE12.0 Legacy (nightly11-29) on a usb drive and found it was unable to access the Libreelec Repository. I was able to find a copy of Chrome 11.80.5.0 and installed it. I did not need to use the custom audio setting. I've tested the build on two Intel machines, One AMD laptop along with two Sony LED TVs with no issues.:) Once again LE keeps getting better and better. Thanks team!

• Very interesting Red, thanks for sharing !

Not having to use the custom audio could be awesome. I'm constantly having to refresh pages to get audio working.
    Couple of questions:

1. I'd have to know I could get and install the chrome to do this.
    a) It is a special copy of chrome for Kodi/LE?
    b) Where did you get the copy of Chrome 11.80.5.0 ?

c) How do I install it? (Overview would do at this point!)

2. I know it sounds obvious that updating is a good idea, but what improvements (apart from the above) make it worth going from Generic.x86_64-9.1.002 (that Im using) to say LE12.0 Legacy (nightly11-29)?

3. Do you think 12 might work with the Bluetooth dongle I just bought?
    (Tp-link UB500)?

If the answers to these look good, I'd probably be keen !
    I need to clean out my library of dupes anyway.

Can you post the kodi.log after you tried installing it?

I'd have to go thru and create the usb stick again.
    If you're going to do something awesome with the info, it'd probably be worth the time :)

Edited 2 times, last by TimbOz: Merged a post created by TimbOz into this post. (January 12, 2024 at 9:01 AM).

• Upgrading is always a challenge in this hobby. My best advice is buy a few thumbdrives and test before using your main system. I have a nice I3 HTPC for my main system running LE11.0 and will likely update once I know everything I need to use works. Keep in mind LE is constantly changing and improving so keep informed by checking in here and by all means help support the project with a donation.

You can download the chrome installer here:

browser.chrome

You install from zip file just like any addon. It will take care of the rest.

As for the Custom Audio Device my experience has shown the setting is more dependent upon the HDMI configuration of your TV or monitor. Some of my TVs require the setting and some do not. As for the audio in chrome the process is somewhat involved and I passed on the effort. Some sites on Chrome that have their own audio controls just will not work properly and some even cause browser errors. What I have found that works for me is after launching Chrome I go to YouTube and play any site that has audio. That seems to kick start the Chrome audio system. After that most sites will play fine. Kinda hokey to do every time ya start Chrome I know but seems to work so take it or leave it.

On the bluetooth issue that's above my paygrade.

• Hey Red,

Thanks so much!

1. The link to Chrome in particular is a 'god-send'! Now I can try it on whatever install I like.

2. I assume this is the one you used, from this page?:
    LibreELEC-Generic-legacy.x86_64-12.0-nightly-20231129-ffe1b62.img.gz (sha256)

3. Re:

As for the Custom Audio Device my experience has shown the setting is more dependent upon the HDMI configuration of your TV or monitor.

I actually only have a DisplayPort on my media PC**. Does that reveal anything useful about having to use 'custom audio device' or getting vids on Chrome to play?

4. I laughed when I read what you said about experimenting to 'get the audio going' - I do the same. I often watch a bit of France 24 News (with YT at the back end), because I might watch that anyway. Good to know directly using YT also works.

5. You may have already helped solved the Dongle problem. I tried a basic version of 11 I had yesterday, and it recognised it. But I will probably just use the 12 you used, above.

6. I can already see one reasons why donations are useful: all those builds take up a lot of space! If we want to keep the versions we like (which in my case might tend to be older ones that support Chrome), the project needs storage space,

Thanks again - and also to anyone else who chimes in with their knowledge! :)

** It became my media PC accidentally: it had a problem with the C drive that had windows preinstalled on it. That's why I had to run Kodi from USB in the first place. But I'm glad I discovered you could do that!

Edited once, last by TimbOz (January 12, 2024 at 9:06 PM).

• Great news...but a problem I hope can be fixed: frequent load errors...very long time to load movies

11-29:

* Loads and runs chrome well

* Works with the TP-link UB500 BT dongle

* And even runs the addon I also can't now live witout: Last Played (something I've always been surprised is not built into Kodi)

I'm almost ready to change over to this one.

HOWEVER:
    1. It takes an incredibly long time to load a movie off my networked PC - far longer than I'm used to with 9.1.002 (Leia). 33 seconds, compared to 19 seconds for Leia (which is already long)

2. It even shows an error message I've never gotten on Leia: 'One of more items failed to play' (attached)

a) It tells me to check the log, but I've never been able to manage to do that.

Any suggestions?

PS Just in case I can't get this to work and want to just get Leia to recognise my new Bluetooth dongle, I'd still like any advice I can get on how to SSH into Kodi. I'm at the last step but it fails at the password stage.

Screenshots here.

• Offhand I might venture to say you're using the wrong password or possibly you did not enable SSH at install of LE. Just a guess. That failed to play message may be due to a file error. I have also found filenames perfectly legal in Linux that cause issues with Window file systems. Especially () and ' I found in mp3 files and sometimes in movie titles.

Also there is a Kodi log viewer in the Kodi Repository.

Edited once, last by Reddirt: Merged a post created by Reddirt into this post. (January 13, 2024 at 12:31 AM).