Posts by TimbOz

Uh-oh...More problems are making me think I might just have to buy a Kinovo bluetooth dongle and stick with Leia.

1. The system is just very slow, at least with my PC:

a) Examples:
    i) Even if you hit escape to go back to the previous screen (eg. list of movies by title > back to home), it takes literally 30 seconds to do it. I thought it was frozen

ii) In the middle of typing the name of a movie in the filter dialogue, it just freezes for 30 seconds

iii) This may fix itself: but it is just not showing the thumbnails of most of the movies.

b) Maybe it's just slow because its still busy pulling up those thumbnails?

2. Also sorting movies by date-added doesn't seem to work. I just added a bunch of movies with the Universal Movie Scraper (to test if I could actually use that without slowing down loading) and those movies don't appear at the top.

Great news: I 'fixed' the problem.

I don't know which one did it, but:

1. I stopped scanning for new movies before I tried to load a movie.

2. I scraped the movies with TMDB Python instead of Universal Movie Scraper

The movies then loaded quite quickly - feels faster than LN 9.

Very happy ! :)

dmesg output: SUCCESS...of a kind

1. I managed to output to a text, which I've attached

2. I couldn't send to a url because:

a) 'paste' command wasn't recognised

b) When I used curl (command below), it had a problem because of lack of a log in

dmesg | curl -F 'file=@-' https://paste.ubuntu.com

Anyway, hopefully Chewitt or another may be able to help me get my TP-link UB500 BT dongle recognised by Leia (9.1.002 or 9.2.6) now that you have this ! :)

NOTE: Build 12 worked but had troubling errors loading movies.

I did successfully get Legacy 12 working and detecting the dongle, and even successfully loading my crucial add-ons (after encouragement and instructions in this thread). But unfortunately there is a major problem with playing video files over the network. It has frequent errors I never had on Leia ('One of more items failed to play') and is very slow to load a movie compared to Leia.
    So at this point I'd be just as happy to get my trusty Leia/9 to simply recognise the dongle - because I'm happy with everything else.

(i.e LibreELEC-Generic-legacy.x86_64-12.0-nightly-20231129-ffe1b62.img.gz (sha256))

Thanks PE! That saved some time but still access denied.

I know its the right password.

(Note: cursor doesn't move when I type password - blindly!)

Far better results using Windows CMD prompt than PuTTY

1. Wow, I just managed to log in on the first attempt using CMD (run as admin).
    a) OpenSSH Client was already installed.

2. I'll be uninstalling PuTTY. I didn't find it very useful.

Ran dmesg | paste and got this.
    No url given.
    Is some site just busy?

Great news...but a problem I hope can be fixed: frequent load errors...very long time to load movies

11-29:

* Loads and runs chrome well

* Works with the TP-link UB500 BT dongle

* And even runs the addon I also can't now live witout: Last Played (something I've always been surprised is not built into Kodi)

I'm almost ready to change over to this one.

HOWEVER:
    1. It takes an incredibly long time to load a movie off my networked PC - far longer than I'm used to with 9.1.002 (Leia). 33 seconds, compared to 19 seconds for Leia (which is already long)

2. It even shows an error message I've never gotten on Leia: 'One of more items failed to play' (attached)

a) It tells me to check the log, but I've never been able to manage to do that.

Any suggestions?

PS Just in case I can't get this to work and want to just get Leia to recognise my new Bluetooth dongle, I'd still like any advice I can get on how to SSH into Kodi. I'm at the last step but it fails at the password stage.

Screenshots here.

Can't SSH into Kodi

1. What am I doing wrong? So frustrating!
    a) Note: when I type the password into PuTTY, the cursor doesn't advance
    b) I did at first encounter the warning in the third shot. First I did 'connect once'. Then 'accept'.

c) The ip address, user ('root') and pw are all definitely correct.

2. What is a 'clean boot' into Kodi precisely?

3. Is there another way I can get you the log?

Hey Red,

Thanks so much!

1. The link to Chrome in particular is a 'god-send'! Now I can try it on whatever install I like.

2. I assume this is the one you used, from this page?:
    LibreELEC-Generic-legacy.x86_64-12.0-nightly-20231129-ffe1b62.img.gz (sha256)

3. Re:

As for the Custom Audio Device my experience has shown the setting is more dependent upon the HDMI configuration of your TV or monitor.

I actually only have a DisplayPort on my media PC**. Does that reveal anything useful about having to use 'custom audio device' or getting vids on Chrome to play?

4. I laughed when I read what you said about experimenting to 'get the audio going' - I do the same. I often watch a bit of France 24 News (with YT at the back end), because I might watch that anyway. Good to know directly using YT also works.

5. You may have already helped solved the Dongle problem. I tried a basic version of 11 I had yesterday, and it recognised it. But I will probably just use the 12 you used, above.

6. I can already see one reasons why donations are useful: all those builds take up a lot of space! If we want to keep the versions we like (which in my case might tend to be older ones that support Chrome), the project needs storage space,

Thanks again - and also to anyone else who chimes in with their knowledge! :)

** It became my media PC accidentally: it had a problem with the C drive that had windows preinstalled on it. That's why I had to run Kodi from USB in the first place. But I'm glad I discovered you could do that!

Hey Chewitt,
    Thanks!
    1) I am running 9.2.6 (and 9.1.002 on another stick) - I presume you mean to just run whatever I'm on, rather than 11...?
    2) I don't know what clean boot means

3) I don't know how to 'run' dmesg | paste'? Is this something to do with SSHing in? (which I've never done)

4) If its not too hard I'm pretty tech savvy and willing to learn how to do it.

NOTE: The dongle IS working on a version of LE11 that I created (but didn't use because it didn't support Chrome, from memory). So there is some hope! (I even thought of copying the firmware files from that somehow, via the Windows network as shown in the video here, but I couldn't find /usr/lib/firmware.)

Clean boot an LE11 image and run "dmesg | paste" and share the URL so we can see the full log. From this we can see if there's any evidence of missing firmware or missing driver. The snippets you've shared are not showing much.

Actually Im asking ChatGPT...

Very interesting Red, thanks for sharing !

Not having to use the custom audio could be awesome. I'm constantly having to refresh pages to get audio working.
    Couple of questions:

1. I'd have to know I could get and install the chrome to do this.
    a) It is a special copy of chrome for Kodi/LE?
    b) Where did you get the copy of Chrome 11.80.5.0 ?

c) How do I install it? (Overview would do at this point!)

2. I know it sounds obvious that updating is a good idea, but what improvements (apart from the above) make it worth going from Generic.x86_64-9.1.002 (that Im using) to say LE12.0 Legacy (nightly11-29)?

3. Do you think 12 might work with the Bluetooth dongle I just bought?
    (Tp-link UB500)?

If the answers to these look good, I'd probably be keen !
    I need to clean out my library of dupes anyway.

Can you post the kodi.log after you tried installing it?

I'd have to go thru and create the usb stick again.
    If you're going to do something awesome with the info, it'd probably be worth the time :)

I too have this (UB500 TP-link) dongle and am running Generic.x86_64-9.1.002 (Leia), which I don't want to change from, for various reasons (namely running Chrome)

I looked at the link above to add firmware and even tho I'm reasonably computer-savvy, the first method looks too hard for me.

The second method (shown in video) I could do - I've accessed folders on my Kodi installation from my Win10 machine (over the network) before.
    but how do I identify the firmware for the USB stick?
    I have a folder that I unzipped to install it on Windows 10 (screenshots attached). Is any of that firmware?

Can someone please tell me how to find the firmware for my dongle or perhaps even ELI5 me the process to use this dongle on my Kodi install?

(A number of reviewers on Amazon did say the dongle was compatible with Linux)

Just for everyone's info:

LibreELEC-Generic-legacy.x86_64-11.0.4.img.gz
    DID NOT successfully install Chrome addon

LibreELEC-Generic-legacy.x86_64-11.0.0.img.gz

DID successfully install chrome

I got it from here:

Index of /

To successfully get sound, make sure to set the custom sound device to the following:

'Use custom audio device'

- Audio device:

plughw:0,3

I personally can't live without the Chrome addon.
    So I can't update past 11.0.0 it seems.

Does anyone know the differences between versions 9.1.002 and 11.0?

I've been using 9 for a long time because I didn't want to update and risk losing Chrome, which I use to watch quite a few things (my PC has a problem which means I can only use Kodi on the stand-alone USB stick: LibreElec)

I just tried 11.0 and saw that Chrome DOES work on it, but I'm wondering if there's any point using that instead, which would involve re-creating all my customisations, media sources, playlists and so on.

The 'plughw' solution works instantly on some sites, but requires many refreshes on others - there must be one small thing I can do to make it work first time for most sites

[This refers to the solution offered here, for the problem of Chrome not playing audio in videos]

Hey champions, I've been meaning to ask this for ages...

I got some luck out of the above method of turning on 'use custom audio device' and adding in the info 'plughw:'

In this case 'plughw:0,3', which i found after great effort trying many combos.

The thing is...IT WORKS, but to get it to work on many key sites, you have to refresh the page many times.

I was hoping for some guidance on this - I reckon there must be a fix for this that makes it work every time.

EXAMPLES:

It works on this site almost every time, first go:

Watch the latest international news top stories and headlines - France 24

But on this site, you often have to refresh the page five times or so:

Planet America : ABC iview

There must be a way to make it work on the second site as well as the first site.

Chrome 9.2.0.101

(I know this addon is not updated but I actually use it EVERY SINGLE DAY, and prefer using Kodi and Chrome to watch online TV over my own Android TCL TV interface, which they have also tried to update with advertising.)

?thumbnail=1

?thumbnail=1

The 'plughw' solution works instantly on some sites, but requires many refreshes on others - there must be one small thing I can do to make it work first time for most sites

Hey champions, I've been meaning to ask this for ages...

I got some luck out of the above method of turning on 'use custom audio device' and adding in the info 'plughw:'

In this case 'plughw:0,3', which i found after great effort trying many combos.

The thing is...IT WORKS, but to get it to work on many key sites, you have to refresh the page many times.

I was hoping for some guidance on this - I reckon there must be a fix for this that makes it work every time.

EXAMPLES:

It works on this site almost every time, first go:

Watch the latest international news top stories and headlines - France 24

But on this site, you often have to refresh the page five times or so:

Planet America : ABC iview

There must be a way to make it work on the second site as well as the first site.

Chrome 9.2.0.101

(I know this addon is not updated but I actually use it EVERY SINGLE DAY, and prefer using Kodi and Chrome to watch online TV over my own Android TCL TV interface, which they have also tried to update with advertising.)

SOLVED (with caveats)

CAVEAT: I can't guarantee the security or permanency of this cos I'm no expert. I just saw someone mentioning this as a solution to a related problem.

SUMMARY: change the browser agent used on the log-in page

DETAILS:
    1. Right Click Anywhere in Webpage > Inspect
    2. Choose More Tools (top right 3 dots) > Network Conditions
    3. Uncheck Select Automatically Checkbox
    4. Choose One Among the Built-In User-Agents List: Chrome Android Tablet worked for me

(Further info: How to Change User-Agents in Chrome, Edge, Safari & Firefox)

As far as I know, this is a per-page setting.

NOTE: I had already turned ON 'Less secure app access' in my Google Account under Security, but I don't know if this made any difference

COMMENTARY: Since a mere change of browser recognition worked, I suspect this may be Google trying to exclude everything except authorised vanilla versions of Chrome in vanilla environments (i.e where they have utter control) - perhaps part of their new policy of global greed lol. Based on my recent experience of them (including forcing YT content-makers to accept ads, like it or not [source]) should change their old motto of "Don't Be Evil" to "Be as Evil as Possible" lol.