Posts by tokul

I find that incredibly odd, is it based on a very old and unupdated bootloader?

I did but I fail to see why it's even relevant unless this is a profoundly old thing that isn't working.

I have no idea what you need from it, is it here? https://i.imgur.com/CsLvK3T.png

You told me current and supported LBA sizes on your device and confirmed that reading wikis is hard.

Run 'nvme format --lbaf=0 /dev/nvme0n1' on live ubuntu to switch your nvme disk to 512 sector size.

Restart, boot from libreelec installer disk, install libreelec. Lets hope that your selected libreelec version can handle RTX10

Tested with WD Blue NVME and confirmed that 4096 sector size results error in installer logs and switching back to 512 size works. Test system was using UEFI boot. So probably no need to run in legacy boot mode on your laptop.

If you want to argue about 4k sector performance and old software, your choice. I prefer stuff that works without bolts flying in all directions.

I don't understand why the sector size would even be an issue? LibreELEC needs a highly specific size or something? No other OS seems to have an issue with 4096 sector sizes.

Can this be fixed?

Librelec uses bootloader that can't install itself into 4096 sector size device. Regular Linux tends to use grub, which is more widespread and gets updates/fixes faster than syslinux. Libreelec does not use grub cause they care about size and not about grub's bells and whistles.

I guess you did not read the link.

Could you boot your laptop with Live ubuntu disk and show 'smartctl -c /dev/nvme0n1' output for your Toshiba NVME. Dunno if live ubuntu includes smart monitoring tools in their build. I used different live os to check drives.

What would be the fix here, then?

To my knowledge Raspberry Pis are popular HTPCs with LibreELEC, same with NUCs. Those both utilize NVMe drives.

Samsung EVO 970 250GB nvme supports only 512 sector size.

1TB WD Blue and Black nvme came with 512 sector default, but can be switched to 4096. I am not in the mood of destroying data on those two to test how libreelec setup works on 4096 sector size.

1TB WD Red and Green SSDs support only 512 sector.

Archlinux got page about sector sizes and tells commands that show your drive capabilities

Advanced Format - ArchWiki

Maybe check your nvme sector size options.

Code
    #################################################################
    # Installing syslinux to /tmp/installer/part1
    #################################################################

/dev/nvme0n1p1: unsupported sectors size

(as before) the installer fails to install syslinux to the NVME drive and no bootloader = no boot.

If you have a standard non-fancy drive around you can see if that works (to isolate the issue to NVME vs SATA) but it's likely due to some oddity with NVME drive firmware. I'm unsure what the solution/workaround is with syslinux so install grub to the (otherwise fine) nvme drive instead of syslinux and see what happens.

Google reports there are 387,000 results for "install grub bootloader" so plenty of things to read.

nmve (Toshiba XG3) got 4k sector size. Based on internet search syslinux 6.03 supports 4k sector size, but its official installers don't.

SSD probably also on 4k sectors.

Ubuntu booted from a live USB.. but why wouldn't it? LibreELEC also works from a live USB but why would want it on some slow and clunky external drive hogging up a USB slot instead of my fast and internal NVMe? I want to put LibreELEC there.

I have no idea how you do any of that since you didn't really give any instructions and ChatGPT keeps malfunctioning so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing.

You might throw insults at some things. Throwing insults at people normally does not help in getting answers.

Ubuntu live CD/USB allows you to install OS on disk and verify that your laptop can boot generic Linux OS.

People are trying to understand your setup while trying to guess what hardware you are using with you giving as little as possible.

Secure boot tends to work with Windows, but it is highly likely to break with Linux. Keep it off with Linux.

MSI GF63/75 manuals show that they support both UEFI and Legacy boots. Change to legacy boot. Make sure that you have nvme and ssd devices listed in boot device list. Both laptops have manual page telling how to change boot mode. If your model is different, BIOS options tend to be similar for several hardware generations.

ChatGPT can't replace your own problem debugging skills. Software still needs human finding the right solution in its data set.

Oh, that's great! Is it possible to change the mounted network device ownership to 1000 then?

What is the point of that? LibreELEC sees files regardless of their ownership and your other device sees them with ownership that you set in your mount command.

Unless you forgot to mention that you attached libreelec disk to other system and then ran chown command not on SMB/CIFS mount point.

I suppose I might identify as a "command-line-phobic user" so I gave the Startup Disk Creator a whirl on my Mint 21.3 system and a bit of poking and prodding to make it work. Not quite as eloquent and simple as the LE Creator but does the job. Nice to always have a different path to the same destination.:)

Both "gunzip" and "dd" are available in file manager's right click menu's for .gz and .img on Gnome. Your base OS GUI install got all the tools for image writing.