Posts by Reddirt

Oh my what a can of worms. I did some checking and found this list which seems pretty complete for Linux and Windows however I also found left and right parenthesis are allowed in filenames KODI file manager dosen't like them and will cause errors. So possibly KODI's file manager has it's own set of filename rules. Here's the list I found:

The forbidden printable ASCII characters are:

Linux/Unix:

/ (forward slash)

Windows:

< (less than)
    > (greater than)
    : (colon - sometimes works, but is actually NTFS Alternate Data Streams)
    " (double quote)
    / (forward slash)
    \ (backslash)
    | (vertical bar or pipe)
    ? (question mark)
    * (asterisk)

I believe the character rules are defined in the general Linux filename vocabulary. I have had a few file errors pop up mostly with addons inserting ( and ) in mp3 filenames and sometimes in mkv files as well. Sometimes they cause no issues in LE or Kodi until I attempt a copy/move with the Kodi file manager. Maybe one of our Linux gurus can point us to the list of verbotten characters for future reference.

I used ssh and followed the link from DaFlex to create an EDID file. 1st time ever I rebooted my RPI5 on our old Sony with no issues whatsoever. You're the man D and thanks. Also kudos to Harry for a quick education on the how and why of EDID. Since this old Sony is the only TV with a RPI5 issue it's likely an aged TV firmware issue and nothing to do with LE.

I leave my RPi5 running 24-7 with the old Sony 46" Bravia and sure enough I tried a restart of the system and it got stuck once again too. Unplugged the Roku the antenna then the RPi5. Turned everything off. Held my tongue a bit to the right, waited ten minutes, turned around clockwise three times then plugged all back in and turned on the Sony [with rh fingers crossed] and viola! Crazy stuff. I'm 99% sure current technology is not playing well with decade + old software used in the TVs back then. I'll take the win.

;)

I'm only replying as an x86 user on I3,I5,I7 and AMD A9 hardware as I never had any install issues. LE installed on a Sandisk USB3 thumdrive runs equally well on all my systems. It really sounds like the NVME in your system is hosing up the install somehow. Not what ya want to hear I know but sometimes the simplest fix is a different drive. Even a new SSD at today's good prices would make a top notch HTPC. The RPi5 is another great choice BTW and runs LE12 very smooth.

On my Sony none of the HDMI inputs were connecting properly to any device. I did some research at Sony website and tried disconnecting all HDMI inputs,TV factory reset then one by one connect each device and so far all is working again. Likely older Sony HDMI software and or display timing issues. I don't believe it's a LE or RPi issue. YMMV.

Seems my issue is simply a Sony HDMI handler thing. I think Sony did way more with their hdmi control system than they needed to. It causes me all manner of problems when active inputs are selected. Makes my head hurt.:cry:

Humm. I have a similar issue going on with my RPi5 and a nightly build. A simple reboot and Sony TV reports "No Signal" after repeated reboots (hard and soft) still no signal. Boots normal on a different TV so very curious what's going on.

Thanks for the tip MatteN. I'm a somewhat Linux challenged user but seems a simple "How to " search always provided a usable answer. Just in case there are other newbies to Linux here is what I did to use BalenaEtcher in Linux Mint :

Right Click and open Properties

click Permissions

Access...change Read-only to Read and write

Next check Execute