Posts by Reddirt

Most curious here as I recall using Windows SMB on my RPi3 and same router a few years ago with no issues. Now when I tried to add a source my NAS drive does not appear when I browse for new source. I had no problem with my windows Kodi install and showed up with no problems. I'm a total klutz with Linux and learning but age is my enemy. This is my X86 Legacy 11.xx system. :dodgy:

I seem have exceeded my knowledge of NAS storage using LE. What was straightforward using KODI on a windows machine requires a bit more work I assume being Linux based. I have a Netgear Nighthawk router with a usb share onboard and all I need is a simple way to access it from within LE as a network source. So far my attempts to add this drive (Q:) as a source have failed. I seem to be missing the proper format or ? I read the wiki and it seems I might need to modify a file or something using ssh? Any guidance appreciated.

As sort of a curiosity thing I reformatted one of my 2 -4TB NTFS hard drives to EXT4 several months ago. Just a few days ago the NTFS drive would no show mounting in LE. No upgrades nothing just normal read/write use and the drives have their own power source. This my X86 system with stable power. I've also noticed using windows sometimes completely random usb thumb drives will generate an error when plugged in. Windows reports it needs to scan and/or repair. It's a windows filesystem quirky condition with no reason and very irritating. I vote to dump the NTFS filesystem when using LE and stick to EXT4 as it seems rock solid. The Windows filesystem scheme is old outdated and downright clunky IMHO.

There have been many posts on hard disk errors mostly those formatted NTFS (windows) system. True enough the chkdsk program in windows will fix the errors but is less than quick and a real PIA to use. I have found a much more simple and reliable way to correct NTFS hard drive errors found in LE.

From a windows system: file explorer, right click the disk to repair, select properties, tools, Check for errors button. It will then ask if you wish to repair. Takes under 30 secs and has worked every time for me.

I've been searching for information on mouse input settings. All I have found so far is that the operating system determines pointer speed and sensitivity. Is there a file that might be edited to adjust the input?

Mini Tool or something like that claims to be able to migrate NTFS to EXT4 with their premium version and recover all your files after the reformat. I was skeptical and took the long road of moving all data to a different drive and reformatting EXT4 then moving it all back. Slow and tedious but data is safe and no further issues with NTFS (Not Too Funky Safe) file system.

You're beyond my understanding with the Library issues. I keep my system very simple and have all of our movies ripped from our DVDs on a hard drive in a folder named "Movies" and of course TV shows in a folder named "TV Shows". They all are right there in alphabetical order when we want to watch them. Not elegant I know but simply works for us. I've never had a need for the Library functions (so far) and unless I'm missing something important all works fine.

Regarding overclocking you might look on the Raspberry Pi website. I have friends who like to brag about overclocking their Rpi's and how fast they are just before they ask me for help with their software issues. Good Luck.;)

The choice is pretty simple. Fresh install with accompanying headaches or chase unkownn maybes. Trust me I get it and have been on both sides as most of us have been. Today it's so easy to load up a complete working LE system on a thumb drive and test out everything before building a semi permanent system to me is a no-brainer. I think the average user does this for the love of the hobby and new discoveries. Chasing a perfect bug free bit of software with so many variables seems a little foolish.

Live TV streams? I think my first RPi was almost 10 years ago. I have yet to find a service that is without an occasional hiccup or stutter. Not only the RPi but my ethernet wired HTPC as well. First and foremost is your ISP speed. All the tweaking in the known universe can't fix a slow or intermittent internet connection. I currently am blessed with 300Mbps wired cable. Filtered through a VPN and roughly half that. I still experience some blips and bumps and freezing. The last time we had stellar TV service was a big ass roof mounted antenna with 7 channels total in the big city. I think we have to acknowledge there are a few limitations with digital service from time to time but it looks like your wifi is job one.