Libreelec 10.3 on RP4 no longer boots, how can I upgrade or solve this?

• Linux novice here, been using Kodi for ages though, since my xbox days, but never upgraded on my RP4 beyond 10.3

Last week it stopped booting, hangs with Libreelec logo and version stated forever. This was booting from SD card

So I installed v 12 on a USB memory and that booted just fine, the SD card is readable on my Windows 10 laptop as well.

I did lots of stuff to get Network share to work so I am hesitant to just overwrite the SD card, and I have all my emulator stuff on there etc. (backups where lost some time ago due to being and idiot it seems)

Does anyone have any idea how I can "fix" it beyond just overwriting SD card and start over? It seems I cannot access the files I want on the win 10 laptop, so I cannot extract the files I changed now.

Can one copy something to the SD card to force update or something?

Thanks for suggestions.

• LE is largely packaged into two large compressed files (KERNEL and SYSTEM). If anything corrupts them, they cannot decompress and LE won't boot, whereas with a more conventionally packaged OS with thousands of files scattered over the disk; if you corrupt a couple of files it will usually manage to boot and you might not notice the things that failed due to the corruption.

Cards with corrupted filesystems can be fixed with 'fsck' from the USB stick install or another distro. If you can fix the filesystem you can boot from the card again, and/or copy data off the card to make a backup. Cards can also fail with dead memory breaking the filesystems. This cannot be fixed with fsck, so if fsck fails to repair the card or hangs .. you lost data (and learned why taking backups is a good idea) and you need to start over with a new card (or remain on the USB stick).

Boot the RPi4 from USB, then connect the SD card. Then SSH into the RPi4 from Windows, unmount the filesystems on the SD card so they are not mounted (in use) and filesystem check (fsck) them:

Code
    umount /dev/mmcblk0p1
    umount /dev/mmcblk0p2
    fsck -y /dev/mmbclk0p1
    fsck -y /dev/mmcblk0p2

See how that goes.

• My 1st learned computer experience:

"The mean time to the next computer storage failure is directly proportional to the importance of the data." ;)

• Thanks for the help, with this and some help from my cousin we managed to get it working again, loosing only the database, not the settings. Fixing the filesystem did not make it boot, i guess some file was corrupted that was needed, so reinstalled 12 av moved over .kodi , .config and .storage.

Unfortunatly all the nintendo emulators seems broken now in libreelec 12.0, is that a known fact or something?