RPi4 testbuild with HDR support

• just tested the first HDR content on the RPi4 and I am impressed how good it actually runs. Sound via AVR and picture is outstanding to me. Also the washed out kodi menu colors are gone when starting the HDR10 content.

You devs are amazing!!👍🦊

TVheadend streams aren't great when having the menu resolution set to 4k.

Is it better in general to set the menu to 1080p with white flagged 4k resolutions?

Edit: could anyone give me a hint on how I can switch off the TV? After switching it off, it constantly goes back on when LibreELEC is up. Is this related to CEC?

• just tested the first HDR content on the RPi4 and I am impressed how good it actually runs. Sound via AVR and picture is outstanding to me. Also the washed out kodi menu colors are gone when starting the HDR10 content.

You devs are amazing!!👍🦊

TVheadend streams aren't great when having the menu resolution set to 4k.

Is it better in general to set the menu to 1080p with white flagged 4k resolutions?

There is a setting on the tv to wake up. I had the same issue. i have sony 9500h. Will try to find out but definately TV.

• I can reproduce forced reboot after jump/skipping backwards 2-3 times on a h265 remux files, I remember there was issues with jumping so maybe this is known?

• yes, thats true. it also has an ac3 track I noticed with mkvinfo, will try with ac3 too once I get home. thanks

edit: yes that was it. with ac3 I can skip as much as I want. thanks

Edited once, last by marantz (May 29, 2021 at 4:46 AM).

• Sorry, I should have better avoided the term "whitepoint" in this context. What I meant was what you mentioned later, due to the wrong matrix the RGB values won't be quite correct, colors skewed, and white won't be white.

4kp50/60 output isn't implemented in this build, this is still in the queue (we tested an early patch a few weeks ago but it's not 100% there yet).

4kp50/60 HEVC decoding is more performant now, so 1080p50/60 output of such files will be a lot better (previously the decoder couldn't keep up resulting in a/v sync drifting away). These optimizations are still WIP but testing showed it's already mostly working fine.

so long,

Hias

I can't seem to download this file is it offlilne?

Would like to test HDR on my RPi 4.

And are you guys able to run HDR content on Plex together with subtitles turned on?

• I can't seem to download this file is it offlilne?

Just use the latest official beta version, it includes all HDR changes.

I've removed the old testbuilds to avoid confusion and they are heavily outdated now as well.

so long,

Hias

• No changes regarding 10/12-bit output yet, but we just merged a huge set of kernel and ffmpeg changes. They improve H265 decoding performance, fix a couple of H264 decoding issues and add 4kp60 output.

so long,

Hias

• No changes regarding 10/12-bit output yet, but we just merged a huge set of kernel and ffmpeg changes. They improve H265 decoding performance, fix a couple of H264 decoding issues and add 4kp60 output.

so long,

Hias

Is it necessary to set hdmi_enable_4kp60=1 in config?

• 4kp60 output isn't supported in any of the current beta versions up to and including beta 5 - enabling 4kp60 in config.txt results in "no signal" issues so you shouldn't do that.

It took quite a while to get 4kp60 working properly (the kernel driver change was quite involved) so I deliberately waited after the beta 5 release before adding it - there are probably still issues we missed so this needs some time testing in nightly builds.

So consider this a bit experimental.

so long,

Hias

• 4kp60 output isn't supported in any of the current beta versions up to and including beta 5 - enabling 4kp60 in config.txt results in "no signal" issues so you shouldn't do that.

It took quite a while to get 4kp60 working properly (the kernel driver change was quite involved) so I deliberately waited after the beta 5 release before adding it - there are probably still issues we missed so this needs some time testing in nightly builds.

So consider this a bit experimental.

so long,

Hias

Hias, thanks a lot!

However im wondering due to experimental status.

I hope, Beta 5is the last before LE 10 :)

• Hias, thanks a lot!

However im wondering due to experimental status.

I hope, Beta 5is the last before LE 10 :)

RPi4 code is still under heavy development, with new features and bugfixes coming in at a quite regular pace, so RPi4 builds should be considered stable-beta even if LE 10.0 final is released (as also announced in the blog posts).

The recent kernel update was quite a disruptive change, not only adding 4kp60 support but also switching the internal audio driver code, so any feedback on nightly builds is highly welcome. I'd expect future kernel changes to be far less disruptive, more focusing on ironing out remaining bugs.

so long,

Hias

so long,

Hias

Great progress if we have 2160p60 output support.

How is h.264 1080i interlaced support now? (I use a lot of my Pi 4Bs as DVB-T2/S2 UK TV Headend clients)