RPi4 testbuild with HDR support

• aakister not quite sure why 4k HDR didn't work for you, the kodi log looked fine.

Can you please post a "pastekodi" log? Run the "pastekodi" command on the shell or use the logfile upload function in LE settings and post the URL.

A link to a short sample (20-30 seconds will do) that shows these issues would also be great, then I can try to reproduce it locally.

so long,

Hias

• Hi HiassofT

ok, what a pity!

But, and really NO JOKE, my neighbour bought a 65 inch Sony Bravia and dont need his 55 inch model from 2017 (Sony Bravia).

This TV has 4k and HDR Support!

And the best - i get it today for nothing! LOOOOL :)

• I have question about 4k30. I have mp4 files h264 and files not working. Only music/sound. Thumbnails are genereted but no video - black screen. What is wrong?? Rasbery Pi 4 4MB. Output resolution on HDMI is 1080p. Kodi should scale 4k to 1080p.

4K working if I disable DRM Prime Hardware Acceleration, but video is stuttering.

Edited once, last by macgyverel (February 11, 2021 at 8:31 PM).

• I have question about 4k30. I have mp4 files h264 and files not working. Only music/sound. Thumbnails are genereted but no video - black screen. What is wrong?? Rasbery Pi 4 4MB. Output resolution on HDMI is 1080p. Kodi should scale 4k to 1080p.

4K working if I disable DRM Prime Hardware Acceleration, but video is stuttering.

The RPis support hardware decoding of h264 only up to HD resolution and only 8bit. 4k / 10bit hardware decode is only supported for HEVC.

RPi4 is too slow to software decode 4k h264 files and software decoded 10bit videos aren't supported by kodi's DRM prime renderer yet - there's a PR to add that but it's marked for Kodi 20 DRM PRIME: allow using multiple layers by lrusak · Pull Request #19140 · xbmc/xbmc · GitHub

so long,

Hias

• The Plex player does not really have any video settings. Kodi is set to default (exceüt Audio Passthrough). Picture settings on my TV are exactly the same for both Kodi, Plex and any other App. I've set it to custom and adjusted it accordin rtings. Those settings give me good picture and HDR results. Even switching between presets doesn't do much to the Image quality in Kodi. It seems quite washed out.

I also installed VLC on my TV and tried it out. Same result. VLC is perfectly fine, Kodi isn't.

On my first try on connecting it to the TV, I used the wrong Port (HDMI 1) as it doesn't support 4k HDR. I now connected it to HDMI Port 2, which does. Looks exactly the same as when it's connected to my A/V Receicer (Onkyo TX-NR555). As it seems, it's neither the Receiver nor the TV settings that are the issue.

There are no actual settings within Kodi as far as I could see that could affect anything. Unfortunately, on the current Kodi build, Plex cannot be installed. Not sure if it would change anything.

Is there a addon or something I could use to try HDR?

Tried another movie where the difference also becomes clear:

Kodi:

Plex:

• AriaTwoFive if you press "option" on the sony remote you will see if hdr is detected or not, by the look of the white on that kodi screenshot it doesnt look like hdr is enabled? atleast for me the white in the menus is extremely white, could be the camera ofc

• AriaTwoFive if you press "option" on the sony remote you will see if hdr is detected or not, by the look of the white on that kodi screenshot it doesnt look like hdr is enabled? atleast for me the white in the menus is extremely white, could be the camera ofc

It does show HDR.

AriaTwoFive could you give the build from the very first post a try (it contains additional logging in the kernel driver) and then post a "pastekodi" log?

so long,

Hias

I flashed the file through the /storage/.update/ folder, enabled debug, rebooted and started the movie. Here the log:

hastebin

• It does show HDR.

I flashed the file through the /storage/.update/ folder, enabled debug, rebooted and started the movie. Here the log:

Thanks for the log, dynamic range infoframe seems to be sent fine, not quite sure what might be going wrong.

Can you test with some publicly available samples, eg the ones from 4kmedia.org (4k HEVC 24fps ones should work well), and/or upload a short 20-30secs sample? Then we can try to reproduce it and have a closer look.

so long,

Hias

• Here's a new testbuild with HEVC decoding fixes: LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-9.80-devel-20210210171544-68ac68f.tar

Some HEVC files showed pixelation artefacts (decode errors) and the "Samsung Wonderland Two" demo from 4kmedia.org resulted in a hard crash because the decoder ran out of memory. The HEVC decoder now handles out-of-memory situations much more gracefully and we've increased the default CMA memory size to 512MB so the file can be properly decoded.

so long,

Hias

Hi HiassofT

is that part of the newest nightly image?

• I mean test the publicly available demo files and tell us which ones work and which ones look different. Taking a picture with your phone won't hurt, though it's rather hard to tell from the picture if something's off.

If you can tell us eg if "Samsung Wonderland Two HDR UHD 4K Demo.ts" from 4kmedia.org shows identical output with kodi, plex, ... or not that would help.

If you can't reproduce the issues with the publicly available samples it may be somthing specific to your file(s). In that case you'd need to cut out a short 20-30 seconds sample and upload it somewhere so we can try to reproduce - also make sure you test with the cut sample to rule out issues with the cutting software.

so long,

Hias