LibreELEC/Kodi on Samsung Smart TV?

• I heard the TV's got rooted.

Anyone figure out how to get Kodi or LibreELEC up and running on these devices that run a Linux kernel as well?

I've rooted my TV once, but the community was soooo toxic and only cared about profit and not actually creating new roots or fixing old ones.

I did happen to capture the root methods I used, let's talk Kodi on Rooted Samsung Smart TV's!

• How can I help?

Where are you so far?

How little is just enough Linux?

What karnal does it need, what dependencies does it need, what packages does it need?

I'll reply back in a few days when I get my TV rooted again and I'll let you know what Linux I'm working with.

• So from this page: Compile - LibreELEC

It says that I need these requirements:

We recommend at least 60GB of disk space as whilst you can possibly use as little as 20GB you will find yourself constantly freeing up space from previous builds.

There's no specific package requirements but I just realized: I can't uninstall or dual boot my TV, otherwise it won't work and I could break it.

I guess I just need to figure out how to build Samsung Apps then convert/compile Kodi into one.

• There is a significant difference between rooting a TV to add another application or fiddle with configuration, and rooting it to run a replacement OS on the internal TV hardware. Unless someone would like to donate a bunch of 65"+ 4k OLED TV's to the team for testing and experimentation (we're open to offers!) it's not likely to happen.

• There's a website called SammyGO and that's where I learned about rooting my TV.

When I'm rooted, I can use things like apt-get and SSH and SFTP and access the file system.

But the problem is that I don't remember how to convert Debian packages into TV apps or how they were able to make homebrew apps.

Don't worry about me and my technology. I will test anything you guys come up with!

I just wanna focus on testing things and trying things. I understand the risks, otherwise I wouldn't have asked silly!

Hey check this out!!!!
    Installing Ubuntu in Samsung Smart TV natively - SamyGO

Edited once, last by RypeDub (November 5, 2016 at 12:58 AM).

• I think you don't understand, LibreELEC is a complete operating system that's developed to run Kodi. But the LE developers are not the Kodi developers, so it's highly unlikely that they will start to provide Kodi packages for other operating systems, like the one running on your TV.

If you are looking for Kodi packages you'll have to talk to the Kodi developers at Kodi Community Forum.

• I don't think you guys totally understand either lol

My TV already runs Linux, and I just found out that I can actually install Ubuntu, or ANY disto I choose, as long as it's arm64.

If this is "just enough Linux" then this project will be immensely more optimized in a space and hardware constraint environment than any standard Linux disto.

So all I gotta do, like I even mentioned before:

1.) Get my TV Downgraded
    2.) Get my TV Rooted
    3.) Use the link in my last post to install Linux
    4.) Use LibreELEC as my distro
    5.) Start using Kodi

If you guys really read, it says I'll stop asking till I get my TV rooted or if we figure out how to make a package for my TV, which can't happen until I root my TV anyways.

I'll let you guys know when I get my TV rooted.

• 3.) Use the link in my last post to install Linux
    4.) Use LibreELEC as my distro

Librelec = OS+Kodi
    So, maybe you should focus on actually Kodi software (and try to get some pkg compatible with your arch), more like whole Libreelec itself :)

• It's indeed kind of interesting and I took a look at the How-To PDF which was provided on the forum you linked to. This makes me scared of trying it, tbh:

And now, let’s start our graphic session:

root@(none):/# su sky
    sky@localhost:/$ gnome-session

You may get a lot of warnings, errors, etc... Just ignore them and after a pair of minutes, this is what you
    should be getting in your TV:

Would be interesting what kind of warnings and errors one should ignore ;) . At least there is a Ubuntu screen.