Raspberry pi 4 - Wait for 4k HDR support or buy another board?

• Hello I bought rpi4 at release date, but still don't have full 4k HDR support. I'm a little bit disappointed because after year rpi don't have these features.

Sould I wait for support? Or will it be in a long time?

If it takes a long time, I'd like to buy something else board. Do you have any sugesstions? I look for vero 4k+, but I don't know if there is any better board.

I want to watchvideos 4k/HDR-10bit with size about 70GB

thank you so much.

• I'm a little bit disappointed because after year rpi don't have these features.

Main problem is that basically nothing has proper HDR support yet (Vero, AML ... use vendor specific apis that are gone in K19) with an proper Kodi integration. Its getting there but not before Kodi19.

• HDR in any Kodi version (LibreELEC, OSMC, Kodi, etc) is currently still a work-in-progress. And yes, it will take more time to get 'everything' working. Partly because we are dependent on what the RPi developers themselves are providing us. Stuff for the previous RPi devices wasn't ready in a year either, and those devices had simpler tasks to do.

• Just a question ... HDR with PI 4 will come in future? I´m aware, nothing is final, but just on technical aspect it is possible and well get enjoying this feature?

The Pi is capable of decoding 2160p 10-bit HEVC, and we're told the hardware supports output of 10-bit video with Infoframes to flag HDR and switch TVs into HDR mode. (These are the three things necessary for 'standard' HDR10 replay)

HD Audio bit streaming (for HD video output) has been added recently to the Pi 4B+'s capabilities - so stuff is happening to develop the platform.

If you want HDR now - then look at some other platforms (though these are using custom Kodi builds to enable HDR) - if you are prepared to wait then HDR support for the Pi 4B+ should happen at some point - but there is no real timeline in the public domain for when.

One thing to be aware of is that if your TV only supports HDR UHD at 50/60fps at 4:2:0 the Pi 4B+ is not going to besuitable - as it can't output 4:2:0 (which is required for some TVs). There isn't that much 50/60fps HDR stuff - but BBC iPlayer is 50fps for UHD HDR streaming for instance.

• Vero 4K is the box you're looking for. I can't think of any 4K issues on there. The exception is if you want to go really high-end and have dynamic tone mapping, but that's really video processor functionality that's only possible from a home theater PC or a dedicated processor box for $3K+. The only issue I have with the Vero is that it has issues with 3D on a few titles.

• RPI4 development is a big deception. No 3D mvc support and no HDR after over one year. We will have it running at the same time everything will move to 8k or other newest tech. In the 2000 years the RPI development was able to catch up but not anymore. Better to go Vero 4k or stick with PC with madvr for 3D and 4K hdr.

• RPI4 development is a big deception. No 3D mvc support and no HDR after over one year. We will have it running at the same time everything will move to 8k or other newest tech. In the 2000 years the RPI development was able to catch up but not anymore. Better to go Vero 4k or stick with PC with madvr for 3D and 4K hdr.

RPi4 HDR video and HBR audio are WIP but they do work on current betas

I think it's deeply unfair to accuse the developers of 'deception'. They've always been pretty clear that these features will take time to implement and that time was not weeks but likely to be months or years.

The time it takes developers to implement features and support new hardware is simply the time it takes to do that. The more of us who work on supporting our colleagues in adding these features, or providing useful feedback, the better. None of us pay anything for Kodi or LibreElec - it's not a commercial product. We can't expect stuff to happen instantly just because we want it to.

HDR (HDR10 and HLG) with Rec 2020 Wide Colour Gamut colour is implemented for 2160p30 and below output in Pi4B nightlies and is working effectively. AIUI this is working using the mainline V4L2 Linux framework that should continue to be supported long-term. Most other HDR implementations on Linux are using workarounds that are likely to no longer be supported moving forward AIUI.

HD Audio bit streaming has also been supported in nightlies for quite a while now. progress.

I don't think HDR and HBR now working on a Pi 4B in nightlies is 'deception', it's a sign of good progress...

• Better don't compare it to Rockchip, Amlogic or Allwinner - they needed 4+ years and are partly not even there yet

I tend to disagree (except about AML part) :) AW and RK support deinterlacing while RPi does not. RK is also almost on pair regarding HDR. In short, each platform has features that are not necessarily implemented on others. But I agree that RPi development progresses much faster.

• I tend to disagree (except about AML part) :) AW and RK support deinterlacing while RPi does not. RK is also almost on pair regarding HDR. In short, each platform has features that are not necessarily implemented on others. But I agree that RPi development progresses much faster.

What's the status of HD Audio bit streaming on RK and AW? (I've got a couple of RKs that sit in a cupboard getting dusty)