4k on LibreElec + Raspberry pi 4

• Hi, my setup is a Raspberry Pi4 with LibreElec (kodi 18.6), plugged into a Sony Xe90
    Kodi resolution in set to 4k
    I've a problem with SOME HEVC h265 video. The video appears very noisy with many artifacts, in some cases it stutters.. I thinik it can depend by upsaling/resizing problem, because

:

1. If I set the resolution to 1080p the problem goes away
    2. The videos with problem have this resolution (3840*1608 or 3840*1610 or 3840*1606 or 3840*1912)
    3. Video with resoluton 3840*1600, 3840*2080, 3840*2072,1080p and above are ok

It is a very strange problem and I have no idea how I could fix it. Do any of you have an idea?

here my debug.log

External Content pastebin.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

THANKS

• Well, below the link of two mediainfo. The firts one is ok, the second one KO. It seems to me that they are both hdr

External Content pastebin.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

If I set 1080p i've no problem.

• On my RPi4 2GB I have experience the same problem when i upgrade from 9.2.0 -> 9.2.1. It happens to my 4K HEVC (Main 10) but not others, downgrading to 9.2.0 fixed the problem.

• Code
    hi, i have a raspberry 4 with 4gb of ram, i tried to play 4k video, but unfortunately some films are jerky .... is there any solution?
    ps: sorry my english
  • Hello,

I also meet exactly the same issues than you with HEVC x265 (10bits) 4K HDR videos on a RPI4 2GB running LE 9.2.1.

I've got HEVC x265 (10bits) 4K contents coming from different sources / people, and the issue is present for the whole part of these videos

The only solution I found is to downgrade into LE 9.2.0, which is working really fine with this type of videos (except for HDR support ofc).

Edited 2 times, last by LeGuerg (April 7, 2020 at 10:31 AM).

• That's not really a solution, that's an evasion of the problem in 9.2.1.

But we'll get there, eventually.

Thank you for your reply :)

Yes, I'm aware it is not really a solution, but a way to avoid the issue.

Currently, it's the only way for me to be able to play my HEVC UHD content on the RPi4

• Thank you for this thread!

I've been experiencing the same issue with some 4K videos. I was trying to narrow it down to what it was, but I couldn't find anything that was obviously different between some videos that did work fine (level 5.0, level 5.1, 10 bit HDR) and those that didn't (level 5.0, level 5.1, 10 bit HDR).

I since stuck the 9.2.0.img.gz into the upgrade folder, rebooted, and now they're all playing fine. I was on 9.2.1 prior to that.

Hoping this gets resolved in 9.2.3!

Edited once, last by rpistutters: Realised that 9.2.2 is already out, so we're targeting 9.2.3 for RPi4 at best (May 5, 2020 at 1:11 PM).

• Maybe somebody who is affected can provide a short sample of an affected video file for the developers,

I am sure this would be of great help to developers.

You can create such a sample easily with ffmpeg.

Code
    ffmpeg -ss starttimestamp -to endtimestamp -i file.mkv -c copy sample.mkv

Of course you have to be careful with copyright.

• I have this same issue playing x265 1080p/4k 8-10bit content.
    if I drop the res of the file by half it disappears.

if I change the codec from x265 to x264 it also fixes the problem.

I have only seen the problem with NTSC. but have 4k NTSC that work fine...

I have a pal 1080p 10bit video with much higher bitrates which does not suffer the same artifacts.

I don't think a 10 second clip will be a problem.

I made a 10-20 second clip and it still suffered the same artifact problem

Im running a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 4GB