[8.0.2e] LibreELEC 8.0 for S905/S905X

• kszaq I understand that changing the default to be safer for majority of users is a useful and good thing, but could you add an option or tell us how to bring it back manually for those damned souls with a working suspend? Cheers!

There are less options in power menu because I disabled suspend (again) - it fails for 95% of users and because it's default option for CEC behaviour on TV off, many people have frozen boxes after they turn their TV off. I don't want that.

• kszaq Maybe its on my side but when I try to build the 8.0.2e I get this error while compiling linux

But not sure if its on my side or something that recently changed.

• Hey kszaq,

Great image!

Would it be possible to implement a hq-upscaler like lanczos?

SD upscaling looks very blurred. If i play the same file on TV media player it looks sharper.

Another possibility would be 576p HDMI output so that the TV does the upscaling, but I think Kodi don't support that?

Thanks

• Maybe its on my side but when I try to build the 8.0.2e I get this error while compiling linux

If you ar compiling after disabling temp sensor, you have to disable CONFIG_AMLOGIC_SPICC_MASTER as well.

Would it be possible to implement a hq-upscaler like lanczos?

Upscaling is done by hardware if HW decoding is enabled, for SW decoding S905 is not powerful enough to provide Lanczos.

• Hi kszaq,

I've been compiling your tree since v7.0.2.009 along with a `hostapd` package I wrote myself, and everything was working fine when setting up a network on `wlan0` (just had to ask `connman` to ignore this network device).

However since the 8.x upgrade trying to run `hostapd` on `wlan0` fails massively, the program segfaults and then the box (S905x) enters a boot loop. That makes no sense to me, as everything used to run just fine, I've tried downgrading `connman`, upgrading `hostapd` (2.5 → 2.6), using the proper DTB as opposed to the master one compiled… The only thing I haven't tried is downgrading the kernel because it's not as simple as changing the hash in the `options` file, and the `rtl8189es` driver hasn't changed anyway.

Do you have any hunch as to what could possibly be going on please ?

`hostapd` log:

Code
    write(1, "hostapd_setup_bss(hapd=0x1f6170 "..., 50hostapd_setup_bss(hapd=0x1f6170 (wlan0), first=1)
        ) = 50
        write(1, "wlan0: Flushing old station entr"..., 36wlan0: Flushing old station entries
        ) = 36
        ioctl(4, _IOC(0, 0x8b, 0xfc, 0x00) <unfinished ...>
        +++ killed by SIGSEGV +++
        Segmentation fault

It definitely looks like a driver issue (because of the `ioctl` call), but I don't understand why this issue would completey lock the device up in a boot loop afterwards.

Thanks.

• Hi Kszaq,

First of all, thanks very much for your work. I still enjoy your 7.x build every day as it works flawlessly.

I was waiting to upgrade to v8, as i am using a (partly) IR remote with my bluid-in receiver (minim8s).

Happy to read buildin IR receivers should be supported in 8.0.2e, so i installed a fresh image.

Unfortunately, IR is still not working with this build. Totally unresponsive to remote commands with both a standard dtb and a lirc one.

Amy chance that IR will return to function as it did in v7..?

Regards,

Atreyu

• there are different HW scalers.

Is there a possibility to use the different ones like COEF_3POINT_BSPLINE maybe through /sys/module/amvideo/parameters/ ?

No idea, there is no documentation for these options. If you try the out, please share your results.

Unfortunately, IR is still not working with this build. Totally unresponsive to remote commands with both a standard dtb and a lirc one.

Amy chance that IR will return to function as it did in v7..?

If you don't use LIRC device tree, IR works exactly the same as in 7.x.

• I have a newbie question to ask.

I am successfully updating kzaq's versions with no issue at all. I do that by putting the .tar file into the update folder.

I would like now try to update the dtb file. How do i do that?

Thank you.

• If you don't use LIRC device tree, IR works exactly the same as in 7.x.

Thank you.

I copied a remote.conf from an identical box that still had Android on internal storage, put it in the .update dir and rebooted. IR now works ;)

In my case, v17 is not ready for prime time yet, though as channel switching times are (very) slow still. Especially HD channels.

A very good build anyway, you do great things for amlogic users!

• I have a newbie question to ask.

I am successfully updating kzaq's versions with no issue at all. I do that by putting the .tar file into the update folder.

I would like now try to update the dtb file. How do i do that?

Thank you.

Procedures are described in detail by kszaq on the first page. You cant go wrong.

Let me help you out; just find the proper .dtb file from the location mentioned on the first page. Grab the proper one for your box (make sure memory and ethernet values match) and replace the file on your SDCard after burning the image. Boot. Done.

PS: Note that if you have a s905X box,or are using a existing device tree that works , replacing the device tree might not be needed. Just leave it.

• Hi kszaq,

I've been compiling your tree since v7.0.2.009 along with a `hostapd` package I wrote myself, and everything was working fine when setting up a network on `wlan0` (just had to ask `connman` to ignore this network device).

[…]

It definitely looks like a driver issue (because of the `ioctl` call), but I don't understand why this issue would completey lock the device up in a boot loop afterwards.

I tried using the upstream `amlogic-3.14` kernel, and the same issue doesn't occur, I reckon something in the patches added to the fork is causing these issues (using `wlan0` as a regular device seems to work).

• Just tried spare usb controler and it works fine. It seems I can use original remote that came with the box to switch on the box but after that it doesn't work at all. I could use original remote to switch on the box and use my other usb remote for everything else but ideally i would like to use original remote only. still stuck don't know what to do

Try copying the remote.conf from the original Android source for your box to the .update folder of your current 8.0.2e install. The reboot. That worked for me.

The file should be in the /etc dir in Android.

• Procedures are described in detail by kszaq on the first page. You cant go wrong.

Let me help you out; just find the proper .dtb file from the location mentioned on the first page. Grab the proper one for your box (make sure memory and ethernet values match) and replace the file on your SDCard after burning the image. Boot. Done.

PS: Note that if you have a s905X box,or are using a existing device tree that works , replacing the device tree might not be needed. Just leave it.

Since it's about updating an existing running system it's a lot easier to just put the dtb file in the update folder, next to the update image/tar and reboot. No need to do anything manually with the SD card. ;)

• Since it's about updating an existing running system it's a lot easier to just put the dtb file in the update folder, next to the update image/tar and reboot. No need to do anything manually with the SD card. ;)

True.

Was doing a fresh install myself that's what confused me :)