[8.0.2e] LibreELEC 8.0 for S905/S905X

• Hi guys, is it me or are the last couple of upgrades slower when opening an addon? For example, if I open any addon, it takes about 15 seconds or so to open up the addon menu. In previous versions the menus opened almost instantly. Has anyone else noticed this?

Yes. I reported it already here few posts before. I even tried easy advanced network settings. But no use. I guess kszaq and afl1 are busy building new releases. I am waiting..

• These temps are completely normal and should be no problem at all.

Have you tried the "toothpick method"? I don't know exactly what it does, but it should, to some extent, reinitialize the bootloader.

I know the temps look normal and in reality it should handle 20C higher. However, it's not unlikely that the temps reported can be offset by a considerable margin, so I would just take into account the deltas. And the jump in temperature seems to indicate that the box is under greater load somehow. It could be an extra cause for failure. Unlikely, but it can...

Now, prior to reflashing android using the toothpick method, I've tried by clearing the data, cache etc, from recovery, same outcome. I think the bootloader was reinitialized as well, because I needed the toothpick again to boot LE from the sdcard. As far as I'm concerned the box has a probable hardware failure on the EDID stage. What I'm not sure is if flashing with toothpick and sdcard leaves some partitions untouched, which might be corrupted and the cause of the box's behaviour. That's why I wondered if flashing using a PC is better, and can fully restore the unit.

Otherwise, I'm led to believe that I borked the HDMI port somehow by plugging and unplugging too much. On the other hand the port does not look physically abused, so it might be a case of the box being electrically damaged or something along those lines.

Just food for thought... :s

• I know the temps look normal and in reality it should handle 20C higher. However, it's not unlikely that the temps reported can be offset by a considerable margin, so I would just take into account the deltas. And the jump in temperature seems to indicate that the box is under greater load somehow. It could be an extra cause for failure. Unlikely, but it can...

Now, prior to reflashing android using the toothpick method, I've tried by clearing the data, cache etc, from recovery, same outcome. I think the bootloader was reinitialized as well, because I needed the toothpick again to boot LE from the sdcard. As far as I'm concerned the box has a probable hardware failure on the EDID stage. What I'm not sure is if flashing with toothpick and sdcard leaves some partitions untouched, which might be corrupted and the cause of the box's behaviour. That's why I wondered if flashing using a PC is better, and can fully restore the unit.

Otherwise, I'm led to believe that I borked the HDMI port somehow by plugging and unplugging too much. On the other hand the port does not look physically abused, so it might be a case of the box being electrically damaged or something along those lines.

Just food for thought... :s

I am sure that you are aware, that you should NEVER plug/unplug the HDMI cable while under power.

• Now, prior to reflashing android using the toothpick method, I've tried by clearing the data, cache etc, from recovery, same outcome. I think the bootloader was reinitialized as well, because I needed the toothpick again to boot LE from the sdcard. As far as I'm concerned the box has a probable hardware failure on the EDID stage. What I'm not sure is if flashing with toothpick and sdcard leaves some partitions untouched, which might be corrupted and the cause of the box's behaviour. That's why I wondered if flashing using a PC is better, and can fully restore the unit.

These are all the partitions on my box (Beelink MiniMX III S905X):

"rsv", "crypt", "misc" and "instaboot" are empty. "cache" and "recovery" are only used by android. "boot", "system" and "data" are overwritten on reflash. "env" holds the bootloader variables. "bootloader" and "logo" are self-explanatory. "tee" is mostly empty except for the string lost+found, so is not the culprit. "reserved" contains a lot of ASCII strings referencing kernel terminology and some binary data, but the name suggests that this partition is not essential.

You could try using the Amlogic USB burning tool to completely reinitialize the NAND, but you would need the proper image for this. You could also ask someone with the same box (I have S905X version) to send you a dd dump of the bootloader partition, if you're feeling adventurous. The MAC address is stored as a bootenv variable, so I believe the bootloader partition does not contain unique information, but I'm not completely sure.

Edited once, last by kubrickdave (April 11, 2017 at 11:19 PM).

• Had a few of those. The hole is in the audio port. Insert an insulated paper clip or toothpick into the audio port. Make sure you go in straight and you will hit the button. Apply pressure and you will feel it click.

I just tried to locate the reset button inside the av port...it is definitely not there as i pretty much almost inserted the entire toothpick into the port and have not hit anything yet... any other ideas?

• Hey Guys,

If somebody could please tell me the correct device tree file for a Leelbox MXQ Pro Mini S905x 1GB/8GB android box, would be much appreciated!

Box

Edited once, last by Magoo (April 12, 2017 at 5:08 AM).

• These are all the partitions on my box (Beelink MiniMX III S905X):

"rsv", "crypt", "misc" and "instaboot" are empty. "cache" and "recovery" are only used by android. "boot", "system" and "data" are overwritten on reflash. "env" holds the bootloader variables. "bootloader" and "logo" are self-explanatory. "tee" is mostly empty except for the string lost+found, so is not the culprit. "reserved" contains a lot of ASCII strings referencing kernel terminology and some binary data, but the name suggests that this partition is not essential.

You could try using the Amlogic USB burning tool to completely reinitialize the NAND, but you would need the proper image for this. You could also ask someone with the same box (I have S905X version) to send you a dd dump of the bootloader partition, if you're feeling adventurous. The MAC address is stored as a bootenv variable, so I believe the bootloader partition does not contain unique information, but I'm not completely sure.

Thanks for the info.

Same here with my system being twice as big (80000000) and data shorter accordingly (2c5400000). I don't think the emmc data were compromised because of LE, I've only been running it through the sdcard and never installed to internal. As I can use the disp_cap hack to force the resolutions I'll be ok. Now for the jerking and flashing I'll wait a bit, as it looks software based. I'm reading other posts with people experiencing similar display issues with the last versions, so no need to inflict damage with no reason.
    [hr]

I am sure that you are aware, that you should NEVER plug/unplug the HDMI cable while under power.

I know and I mostly follow the rule, but after so many times I wouldn't place my hand on the bible and say I always did... :angel:

Edited once, last by gamicoulas (April 12, 2017 at 5:47 AM).

• Trying to figure out if I need to wipe the box and start fresh since there's a good chance it's something I did: Is the devel build missing the seek bar while pressing left or right buttons and playing a movie for any of you? I'm able to get the rest of the osd if I press select, but not seek bar.

• I just tried to locate the reset button inside the av port...it is definitely not there as i pretty much almost inserted the entire toothpick into the port and have not hit anything yet... any other ideas?

Turn the box upside down. There is a tiny pin hole which is the reset switch access hole.
    It is tiny and a paper clip will fit inside. Press and feel a click. That is the sound of the reset switch.
    Your box is a re branded Tx5 Pro.

• Whybis it so slow to load images and forgets images it's already loaded when I scroll past them? Also searches take around 4 full minutes to return...

I have it on a 2g/16g device so can't be memory?

• I started testing kszaq's latest dev. build last night.
    First impression is very positive.

- Chroma upsampling test pattern looked very good.
    - Audio was perfectly in sync (regular AC3).
    - 23.976 Hz was displayed properly.
    - GUI seems very responsive.

So far so good. :)
    I will continue testing within the next few days.

However, I am still facing issues with my external USB IR receiver.
    Does anyone else experience that?
    Sometimes pressing a button triggers a double action, sometimes an additional random action like play or left/right/up/down is triggered in the menus...

It is a cheap USB IR remote to emulate keyboard/mouse actions which works fine with the Raspberry Pi.

• Maybe both the internal and the external IR receiver decode some of your buttons? I tested an MCE remote with with usb ir receiver with my S905X, and it worked really well. CEC is now also very stable with my philips tv, and I switched to using the tv remote.

• Whybis it so slow to load images and forgets images it's already loaded when I scroll past them? Also searches take around 4 full minutes to return...

I have it on a 2g/16g device so can't be memory?

What type of SD card are you using? I used a no brand before and it was awfully slow. Got a UHS I, Class 10 card from EMC now and it is nice and fast :)

• I think I ruled that out before by blocking the box's IR receiver - however, I'm not sure anymore...
    I'll try that again so thanks for the suggestion. :)

In early 8.0 builds I even had random actions triggered without any remote inputs, but I did not see any of those yesterday.
    Needs more testing...

• What type of SD card are you using? I used a no brand before and it was awfully slow. Got a UHS I, Class 10 card from EMC now and it is nice and fast :)

I flashed it to NAND for speed it seems to be something not using the ram to store the cached images etc

• Have you tried changing the settings in advancedsettings.xml?

See section 2.10 in: advancedsettings.xml - Official Kodi Wiki