[8.0.2e] LibreELEC 8.0 for S905/S905X

• One thing, I tried renaming with e2label, but its not found, so I need to install it, but the system isn't operational (sudo apt-get not found, apt-get not found etc)

I'm pretty sure I remember renaming partitions with e2label.

Just tried in putty on my Beelink:

That's obviously telling me my storage partition has the right name (LIBREELEC_DISK). But if not I'd be running:

e2label /dev/sda2 LIBREELEC_DISK

The problem with the above, of course, is that if it doesn't boot you can't SSH in.
    So what I'd do is boot from a fresh sd card / usb (or use another instance of libreelec if you have one), stick your sd card in a card reader and plug it in a usb port, open putty, run 'df' to find the relevant partition and then e2label (carefully) to rename it. And if I was bothered about what was on it I'd image the card with eg win32diskimager or usbit before I started.
    Disclaimer - I'm also a windows user who just mucks about with this linuxy stuff.

Edited once, last by trogggy (March 12, 2017 at 12:19 PM).

• Hi all :)

I have one question related to s905x image. When I play HDR demo/movie from libreelec, my TV recognizes HDR stream and displays HDR notification.

Since "known issues" from the first post is that HDR is not supported is this fake notification (from tv)?

• Aha thx might be problem in iptv simple client then if its the same with mediaportal pvr client...

I had similar problems with iptv simple client, with long time to open channels about 7-10 seconds. Then i have changed iptv links to .hsl links and then i had fast channel switching. Before that i had m3u list with .ts links that makes long time to channel switch

• I had similar problems with iptv simple client, with long time to open channels about 7-10 seconds. Then i have changed iptv links to .hsl links and then i had fast channel switching. Before that i had m3u list with .ts links that makes long time to channel switch

i have udp m3u playlist with ips not links so yea i cant change to .ts :/

• I'm a Windows user (so a bit baffled with the Linux stuff). If nobody else can help, and you have a previous backup, you could install that build to your SD and restore, then try again with the upgrade. It happened to me a while ago and I think I did a clean install of LE 8 and then manually copied the .kodi folders from a backup. Then I updated each add-on.

Oh I see - so in hindsight, i should've backup then installed fresh then manually restored the kodi. files.

Hmm.

So I've created a new fresh install on a separate usb. I have now booted to that, and ssh'd in to see my drives.
    I only have one of the mmcblk1p2 (as opposed to 2x similar mmcblk). the disk one here exists; I have renamed that to libreelec_disk.
    I have rebooted to see the same error message as before as I could only rename one of my drives.

Any way out without starting completely fresh and losing my past content/settings/apps etc?

• Hi all :)

I have one question related to s905x image. When I play HDR demo/movie from libreelec, my TV recognizes HDR stream and displays HDR notification.

Since "known issues" from the first post is that HDR is not supported is this fake notification (from tv)?

HDR is not supported in the sense that kszaq does not have equipment to test it. So no support from him.
    Other than that it works just fine (with the exception that the output is limited to 8bit). Your TV is not lying to you. :)

• Oh I see - so in hindsight, i should've backup then installed fresh then manually restored the kodi. files.

Hmm.

So I've created a new fresh install on a separate usb. I have now booted to that, and ssh'd in to see my drives.
    I only have one of the mmcblk1p2 (as opposed to 2x similar mmcblk). the disk one here exists; I have renamed that to libreelec_disk.
    I have rebooted to see the same error message as before as I could only rename one of my drives.

Any way out without starting completely fresh and losing my past content/settings/apps etc?

The usb will be ext4, from windows paragon, did a free program to read write ext4 from windows. Download free trial - ExtFS for Windows

Or, do as I do, run clonezilla to clone partitions or complete drives, so a have a separate usb as a cloned backup

• HDR is not supported in the sense that kszaq does not have equipment to test it. So no support from him.
    Other than that it works just fine (with the exception that the output is limited to 8bit). Your TV is not lying to you. :)

Thanks :) Currently the best picture I can display is from libreelec. It's really fantastic.
    If we want 10-bit output from s905x is there something we can do?

• Thanks :) Currently the best picture I can display is from libreelec. It's really fantastic.
    If we want 10-bit output from s905x is there something we can do?

At this point I'm not really sure if the hardware supports it. Amlogic advertises HDR10 support, which I would understand to mean proper 10bit output without truncation (along with signaling the ST2084 EOTF, BT.2020 color space and associated metadata, all of which seems to work).
    Unfortunately almost no display hardware reports the bit depth of the input signal, so it's hard to find people's experiences on the internet. I also haven't tested the Android firmware that came with my box. Maybe it works there.
    Nevertheless the picture quality is very good. I can spot some slight banding in some scenes, but nothing too severe really. I'm really impressed for the 40 bucks I sent.

• At this point I'm not really sure if the hardware supports it. Amlogic advertises HDR10 support, which I would understand to mean proper 10bit output without truncation (along with signaling the ST2084 EOTF, BT.2020 color space and associated metadata, all of which seems to work).
    Unfortunately almost no display hardware reports the bit depth of the input signal, so it's hard to find people's experiences on the internet. I also haven't tested the Android firmware that came with my box. Maybe it works there.
    Nevertheless the picture quality is very good. I can spot some slight banding in some scenes, but nothing too severe really. I'm really impressed for the 40 bucks I sent.

Yes, great performance for the money which works best with libreelec :)
    Considering different bits, format, specs maybe to check this thread because of various demo links thread-4382.html
    Just checked, I can play 10bit HDR demo file from 905x.

p.s. consider copying the files to sd card&usb, because of 100Mb network is sometimes slow.

• Yes, great performance for the money which works best with libreelec :)
    Considering different bits, format, specs maybe to check this thread because of various demo links thread-4382.html
    Just checked, I can play 10bit HDR demo file from 905x.

p.s. consider copying the files to sd card&usb, because of 100Mb network is sometimes slow.

I tried most available clips and they play all, it's just the output that is truncated from 10 to 8 bits. I only noticed that when checking the signal info menu of my AVR.

• So I just copy one "disk" partition to the other "disk" partition and that is enough? I dont need to worry about the old boot partition?

THanks

Pretty much. But you need to stop kodi first.
    SSH (putty) in and run
    SYSTEMCTL STOP KODI
    Rename the .kodi folder on your storage partition.
    Copy the .kodi folder from the old partition to the new one.
    Run
    SYSTEMCTL START KODI
    and stand clear.

Obviously that's only copying kodi across - if you have stuff in eg the .config folder (or want to copy the whole card contents) copy that across and reboot when you're done (which is just REBOOT in putty).

If your boot partitions are identical it should just work. If the one on the non-working card is older you might find the first thing kodi does is to try to update addons and databases when it starts.
    Backup first (ie image the cards) and you can't break anything.
    Obviously you can copy the boot partitions (if you want to) while the cards are running (you'd need to run 'mount -o remount,rw /flash') but sticking them in a pc also works.

Btw the one thing I don't copy across from 1 card to another is the .cache folder. I've found eg SSH has stopped working in the past when I've done that.

Edited once, last by trogggy (March 13, 2017 at 12:08 AM).