[8.0.2e] LibreELEC 8.0 for S905/S905X

• ...some of the feedback by S905X users makes me think that this chipset might behave differently when decoding h264/h265 video.

I had that thought too, but I only own the S905X.
    Can anyone comment on that who owns both S905 and S905X?

No matter which settings I choose, I still have the following issues related to video playback on my S905X in Krypton:

- Consistent frame skips in 23.976p content.
    - Very bad quality upscaling of SD and 720p videos.
    - Screen "shakes" with black "flashes" when I skip forward or backward (30s, 10min etc.) in video.

None of this is an issue in Jarvis.

I reported in detail back here:
    thread-2156-post-29829.html#pid29829

• hi , just install on my nexbox a95x , with a s905 core .

Really happy to see that i can check my Ac3-DTS etc .....on android all this feature doesn't appear ;)

I've got only two problem , i can't edit menu , for example in skin setting under Movies/Categories , in android app i can edit categories to add new menu.
    I can shut off , but ican't wake , i need to make manually ....

Oups another one , only english in langage setting ;)
    [hr]

Edited once, last by fbarth (February 10, 2017 at 5:35 PM).

• HDR works. The only problem is, the box only outputs 8 bit color instead of the proper 10 bit.
    My TV (Sony Z9D) still goes into HDR mode and the PQ is mostly fine, but you can see banding in gradients.

I discovered the display_bpp u-boot variable, which is now set to 24 (so 8 bit). Would changing that to 30 give me the 10 bits?
    I'm a little hesitant to try it out, since I don't want to brick my bootloader.

I can also confirm the judder on 23.976hz material.

Another issue is the fact that when playing back 1080p (and outputting 1080p), the output is 4:4:4, but the chroma upscaling is just simple nearest neighbor, which looks horrible.
    As a workaround I switched to software decoding, which uses ffmpeg to do the chroma scaling.

EDIT: I'm on S905X (Beelink MXIII - II)

Edited once, last by kubrickdave (February 10, 2017 at 3:57 PM).

• HDR works. The only problem is, the box only outputs 8 bit color instead of the proper 10 bit.
    My TV (Sony Z9D) still goes into HDR mode and the PQ is mostly fine, but you can see banding in gradients.

I discovered the display_bpp u-boot variable, which is now set to 24 (so 8 bit). Would changing that to 30 give me the 10 bits?
    I'm a little hesitant to try it out, since I don't want to brick my bootloader.

I can also confirm the judder on 23.976hz material.

Another issue is the fact that when playing back 1080p (and outputting 1080p), the output is 4:4:4, but the chroma upscaling is just simple nearest neighbor, which looks horrible.
    As a workaround I switched to software decoding, which uses ffmpeg to do the chroma scaling.

How do you find whether tv plays 8 bit or 10 bit HDR, I have Samsung 60" 4K tv with hdr 10 support

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• How do you find whether tv plays 8 bit or 10 bit HDR, I have Samsung 60" 4K tv with hdr 10 support

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Denon AVR which displays chroma resolution and bit depth for the input signal. 10 bit works just fine coming from an Xbox One S.

• Another issue is the fact that when playing back 1080p (and outputting 1080p), the output is 4:4:4, but the chroma upscaling is just simple nearest neighbor, which looks horrible.

Of course!
    I did not even bother to check the chroma upsampling, but this must also be the reason why the upscaling looks so horrible!
    Nearest neighbor upsampling explains perfectly what I see.
    I also thought that 1080p looked worse in Krypton, but I did not bother to look into it much because of the frame skips.

Try Jarvis, none of these issues are there in Kodi 16. :)
    Apart from the 8 Bit vs. 10 Bit of course - but I cannot comment on that since my TV does not tell me the color depth.
    I did not see much color banding in the 10 Bit demo videos I have, but all of them are very high bitrate anyhow, which would of course make up for most of it...

• I had exactly the same problems so went back to Jarvis. I believe the first issue is because of the re-write of the video player within kodi, the second one may be amlogic specific (since I changed from an Intel GPU system to the Amlogic system the upscaling has always looked worse on both jarvis and krypton for me), and the third may also be down to the re-write.

Edited once, last by spoony100 (February 10, 2017 at 5:40 PM).

• I had exactly the same problems so went back to Jarvis. I believe the first issue is because of the re-write of the video player within kodi, the second one may be amlogic specific (since I changed from an Intel GPU system to the Amlogic system the upscaling has always looked worse on both jarvis and krypton for me), and the third may also be down to the re-write.

Kodi 17 is still a hot mess. PVRs are constantly lagging, the inputstream.mdp is sometimes not recognized and there are rendering problems that were just not there in Jarvis. But hey it's free software, so we deal with it. I'm back on the old 16 horse, anyway, no 1080p but everything works like a charm.

Edited once, last by yomo86 (February 10, 2017 at 5:46 PM).

• But hey it's free software, so we deal with it.

Don't get me wrong - I don't intend to just moan and complain. ;)

kszaq deserves nothing but high praise for his work and there is nothing he can do about the hardware decoder.

I just wanted to find out if S905 and S905X behave equally or not. :)

• I have problem, sometimes video freezes and after few seconds video accelerate and then everything was back to normal. Some solution to this ?

Edited once, last by Exp245 (February 10, 2017 at 8:23 PM).

• I have problem, sometimes video freezes and after few seconds video accelerate and then everything was back to normal. Some solution to this ?

Check network, ie wired? wireless might be the problem. Also the source local or a dodgy video addon?