[unoffical] LE-9.2/9.80-Images for RK3229/RK3228

• Hey guys, I have an OTT MXQ 4K (not Pro) device with these specs (real and verified by me with my camera):

• RK3229 CBBKM43012 1552 CPU
    • SanDisk P553072141 SDTNRGAMA-008G CP0813618 NAND
    • NANYA NT5CC256M16DP-DI RAM (DDR3)
    • Pulse H1102NL 1549-M ETH
    • Espressif ESP8089 05215 P27X03 WiFi
    • Board name T066-V1
    • Firmware MXQ-4K_ota_20160308

-Do I have to get *any* file from Android to get remote working?

-Is a new release on the horizon? Latest is from April 2020 and I saw many commits on github, including Kodi 18.8.

-What could be the correct image to test? Thanks!

Fantastic project by the way!!!

EDIT1: Ok, I tested "LibreELEC-RK322x.arm-9.2-devel-20200427221002-b7186bc-rk3229-v88mars.img.gz" It worked, booted fine, had ethernet but no WIFI, 1080p was somewhat good. Now which one to test? This box is DDR3 and the firmware I tried DDR2.

EDIT2: I tried to play a movie 1080p remux bluray (30gb) from smb network (wired at 100mbps) and I encountered stutters and constant buffering. Main PC is a monster and work fine on Rpi3. Any ideas?

EDIT3: Tested "LibreELEC-RK322x.arm-9.2-devel-20200427220805-b7186bc-rk3229-v884k.img.gz" now no stuttering or buffering at 1080p, speed is fast! Even tried a 4K HEVC Remux file (60GB!!) and it worked somewhat fine, incredible!! But when I fast forwarded the video box resetted itself. Also still no WIFI. Im starting to think that Espressif ESP8089 is not supported at all on any release. Is there something I can do to help to get it working?

EDIT4: Temp is 208ºF (98ºC) when playing videos, is that reading correct? Holy crap!

Edited 13 times, last by ochentay4 (August 17, 2020 at 6:24 AM).

• sirmagus your device probably needs a different dram-configuration ... as a save start you could also try the tx2 image where the default settings are in. if it doesn't work either: Try to extract current device tree from android or link to a working android firmware image.

Any instructions how to extract device tree from Android? I'm struggling with this and Im trying to colaborate a little on this project.

• Any instructions how to extract device tree from Android? I'

The easiest way is probaly with adb: so connect your device via usb or network to your working machine and do:

Code
    adb pull /sys/firmware/devicetree/. backup

this should copy all the files an directories in there to your PC.

after that you can decompile to a readable devicetree with:

Code
    dtc -I fs -O dts backup/base

Note: I wrote this from my memories ... might be that syntax is slightly different.

EDIT4: Temp is 208ºF (98ºC) when playing videos, is that reading correct? Holy crap!

unfortunately: yes.

jock2 did some experiemts with undervolting ... not sure how far he came

-Is a new release on the horizon? Latest is from April 2020 and I saw many commits on github, including Kodi 18.8.

Maybe yes - honestly in my little spare time I'm trying to port more and more needed stuff to mainline kernel which I'm far more interessted in ... but I can do some builds ... in the meantime everbody else can build his on images which is really, really easy: You need just a linux computer (preferably with ubuntu 18.04 for LE 9.2), follow instrucations on Compile [LibreELEC.wiki], clone my repo and execute any command from LibreELEC.tv/README.md at libreelec-9.2 · knaerzche/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub which suits your device.

• jock2 did some experiemts with undervolting ... not sure how far he came

Not really far, hadn't the chance to do some extensive testing, I just shelved 0.100 volts to each operating point on a single "hot" board and stability didn't suffer. During kodi idle period, the chip of the hot board was reporting 89°C, and it was already in thermal throttling. After downvolting, kodi idled at 81°C.

Despite the reported temperatures, the heatspreader over the chip was just mildly hot.

• Hello,

For starters thanks for these working builds to put some use in my old android box :)

My question ;

Is there something special I need to do to get a custom keytable to work on these builds compared to the other libreelec releases for SMlogic chips ?

I have manualy configured a keytable to use on two of my boxes with a SMLogic S905 chip using community Libreelec 9.0.1 builds and that worked fine.

I now have a MXR4K box with a RK3229 chip in ,

I used your Libreelec9.20 build and got everything to work (including wifi :) ) thanks for that,

however the standard IR remote will not work.

When I follow the procedure I used on the boxes with the S905 chips everything seems to work I can get the button code's ,

but than at the part where I need to load the custom keytable by using a command :

Code
    ir-keytable -a /storage/.config/rc_maps.cfg -s rc0

I simply get nothing (usualy it should say something like deleting keycode , loading xx codes, ... )

when I run

Code
    ir-keytable

I get this ;

Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event3) with:

Name: gpio_ir_recv

Driver: gpio_ir_recv, table: rc-rktvbox

lirc device: /dev/lirc0

Supported protocols: lirc rc-5 rc-5-sz jvc sony nec sanyo mce_kbd rc-6 sharp xmp imon

Enabled protocols: lirc nec

bus: 25, vendor/product: 0001:0001, version: 0x0100

Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms

Is there something else I need to do with the rockchip builds ??

Any help is much appreciated.

Hans

• The best way to do that, is putting the right remote.conf file in the root of the LIBREELEC partition. This always worked for me in LibreELEC or CoreELEC distros, and worked too with this compilation of LibreELEC.

Also i tried the image based on the mainline kernel (9.80) with my V88 4k, and is powering on, but the system doesn't boot. Is reporting a problem mounting a partition (discarded problems of bad SD, bad flashing or bad UUIDs). 9.20 (succesfully compiled by myself) is working fine. Maybe i'll give a try compiling the 9.80 and see what happens.

By other way, i was trying to compile emulationstation and retroarch (my idea is creating an addon like EmuELEC addon). Also i tried to compile EmuELEC and RetroELEC for my V88 4K box (RK3229) using knaerzche fork. I get EmuELEC compiled, and booting, but not starting EmulationStation. With RetroELEC, still have some troubles to get compiled (i'm still fighting with that xD)... I read someone in this thread was working on that, but no news since that...

Also I compiled a EmuELEC distro for RK3328 (u-boot=box), but i can't test it. If someone is interested, i can upload the image.

Maybe someone has clues about compiling EmulationStation and retroarch correctly for Rockchip devices, maybe my problem is related to the video library, or need some patches.

If this is not the rigth place to talk about that, i could make a thread about that.

EDIT:

Finally i get compiled succesfully Lakka, and I made a custom distro merging LibreELEC with Lakka and other stuff, and lots of patches... xD Now I get ES working at 99% (without sound, but for me it's not a problem) and RetroArch at 100%. Also working HDMI and AV ports with sound (i made a script to configure RA sound output automatically depending on what connector is used).

The only problem i have is when using AV port, the video output it's overscanned. In Kodi i can correct the overscan video, but not in EmulationStation or RetroArch... I have to investigate the video output, because it seems the bootargs is not determining the resolution although it's changed...

The AV port is a good feature to use in old TVs and CRTs and the Scishion V88 4K have it, so i'll try to play with the problem... But well, i'm happy with the challenge xD

Edited once, last by SpikeSP87 (September 8, 2020 at 8:21 PM).

• The best way to do that, is putting the right remote.conf file in the root of the LIBREELEC partition. This always worked for me in LibreELEC or CoreELEC distros, and worked too with this compilation of LibreELEC.

Thank you for your answer,

I acutaly tought that the remote.conf methode stopped working since libreelec 9.0 ?? and that you now had to use the other methode ?

Do you maybey have a link for me to the correct way of currently making that remote.conf file ?

Also I am currently using this 9.20 build , I have tried the 9.80 build from this post also, but that dit not work (just stay's black,) ill give that 9.80 a extra try :)

EDIT : I have now been trying to get the remote.conf file methode to work,

but I dont get very far :(

I am unable to get my original remote.conf file (the android on that box is just crap :( )

I have put in a remote.conf that might work, but I can not get my factory code ?

when I use the dmesg -c command, the command works, but I never get anything about wrong factory code :(

any step by step guide for this noob is much appreciated :)

Thank you,

Hans

Edited 2 times, last by Hansie (August 29, 2020 at 2:48 PM).

• You have a good tutorial here. Anyways, i've seen that your remote is pretty similar like mine remote.zip, or like a mxq4k (i've seen provided between 2 models of remotes). So maybe you can try these confs first, and if not, make yours.

I'm not sure if that way changed in 9.0. I think remembering i've been using this way in 8.x... But not sure at all.

These majority of boxes are clones, and remotes are often the same as other recognized boxes. Good luck.

EDIT:

I've compiled the mainline kernel branch by myself, and now it's booting the system correctly. Anyways, the wifi hasn't been recognized on my box. I have to do more testing, configure IR remote and see if it works, and more stuff.

Edited once, last by SpikeSP87 (August 31, 2020 at 4:39 PM).

• You have a good tutorial here.

That is the tutorial I was following, but I can not seem to get the factory code :( I even copyd all the text I get after using "dmesg -c" to word to do a word search and nothing :(

Also I was copying the remote.conf file to a hidden folder /storage/.config like it say's in the tutorial, but you speak of putting it in root, so I have also tried putting it in /storage with SSH but same result it wont work, and I cant edit it since I am unable to get my factory code :(

EDIT:

I've compiled the mainline kernel branch by myself, and now it's booting the system correctly. Anyways, the wifi hasn't been recognized on my box. I have to do more testing, configure IR remote and see if it works, and more stuff.

When I try the 9.80 that are ready compiled I get a mount error on boot, any chanse you can give me a link to the 9.80 you compiled so I can try it ? mega upload or google drive link or somthing ?

would be much appreciated, I never compiled myself and I know if I start now I wont know what is wrong the image or my compile skillz :) :)

Thank you very much for your help already :)

Hans

Edited once, last by Hansie (September 3, 2020 at 3:52 PM).

• Thanks. Sadly I cant/wont do it myself as I dont know anything about linux and dont have another pc to try it. Will wait till someone builds it.
    About my device, what do I have to do so I can have wifi and correct device settings like ram timings so you can put it on the project? Right now, thanks to your project, device has a purpose, but I find it incomplete without the remote, wifi, and probably wrong ram speeds.