Posts by jock2

Discriminating between rk3229 and rk3228a/b at the moment is not certain, and AFAIK there are no easy-to-handle android tools which are able to tell if you got the former or the latter in a certain way.

There are some technicalities which can give us hints, but they are not at the reach of regular users (ie: tinkering with trust OS, reading the efuse, etc...)

From another point of view, rk3229 and rk3228a/b are quite similar, you can read the differences in the first page.

Wifi depends upon the chip installed on the tvbox, so you should open it and look for the chip, but if it does not work out of the box it is likely not yet supported, nonetheless it could be useful to know if you got a new/uncommon wifi chip or a common one. You would probably like to use an USB dongle for the time being.

There's more versions of this box. One with Amlogic s905 and second with Rockchip RK3229.
    I'm just in the middle of helping my friend to install Libreelec on the same box – MXQ PRO RK3229 – but the remote control stopped working. Is there any fix for that? He's using BT mouse for now but it's not ideal.

Remotes should be configured first since it is very common that they use different codes. There are tutorials here and there on the forum. The procedure is the same for all the vendors, so the tutorials in the amlogic section will apply to these boxes too.

I've tried another microSD: it doesn't become empty, but it doesn't boot.

I've seen what you've posted about the boot issue. What you have on your eMMC? I would like to try something on eMMC that makes no boot issue/bugs to boot legacy libreelec u boot.

I don't think it is possible at the moment. Armbian u-boot is compiled to do what you want, but due to the bug libreelec kernel does not boot. But if you try and use the device tree I posted in the armbian forum it will probably work for the time being.

Thanks for the reply and for the infos!

Unfortunately I am not able to boot any of the legacy image! Red led and nothing happens! A couple of minutes ago I tried with A95XR1 legacy image. It was succesfully burnt on microSD with Libreelec tool (I've also tried with Rufus) and I've checked files and partitions on my pc and everything was ok, but when I putted the microSD into the box, it bypassed the SD boot and went to armbian o.s. I've extracted the card from the box and checked it in the pc: the card was empty! I've used the same card for armbian and for Libreelec mainline and it worked fine!

I have csc armbian installed on eMMC and I'm trying to boot Libreelec via microSD.

I'll try again, I took a look at the characteristic of the images in the first post and no one has DDR2 and eMMC together...I hope that any of the DDR3 and eMMC will work!

The boot issue is an issue with armbian u-boot/trust (I use mainline u-boot and OPTEE) installed in eMMC and libreelec u-boot (which uses legacy): CSC Armbian for RK322X TV Boxes - Page 14 - TV boxes - Armbian forum

No idea why the sdcard has been emptied though.

ochentay4 Thanks for the image, I checked the device tree fabiobassa extracted and the dram timings are the very same as those for the v88 4k board. You may try that one to get much better performance.

I also checked out the configuration of the wifi and it appears to be the same as the other device with the esp8089 chip, so this is a step forward to add support to libreelec.

I hope knaerzche comes here around soon to merge the necessary patches, which should be quite easy.

Thanks. Sadly I cant/wont do it myself as I dont know anything about linux and dont have another pc to try it. Will wait till someone builds it.
    About my device, what do I have to do so I can have wifi and correct device settings like ram timings so you can put it on the project? Right now, thanks to your project, device has a purpose, but I find it incomplete without the remote, wifi, and probably wrong ram speeds.

You may also share the original firmware image if you have one. Sharing just the first 20 megabytes of the firmware would be much better. Don't forget to make a zip/rar/gzip of it.

Remote should already work, you probably need to configure the key bindings: there are some useful posts about configuring rk3228 remotes in the rockchip forum section, but you can also use the procedure for amlogic or any other device.

About the esp8089 wifi, I added support for that in armbian and it works, but I had no chance to test it personally and it is based upon one user experience, so the device tree could be terribly useful for this also.

jock2 did some experiemts with undervolting ... not sure how far he came

Not really far, hadn't the chance to do some extensive testing, I just shelved 0.100 volts to each operating point on a single "hot" board and stability didn't suffer. During kodi idle period, the chip of the hot board was reporting 89°C, and it was already in thermal throttling. After downvolting, kodi idled at 81°C.

Despite the reported temperatures, the heatspreader over the chip was just mildly hot.

Unfortunately, in system, my friend tells me that it has failed to past and with the other methods it is impossible to post the log file because there is no connection to the network, so I cannot show you the log file.

Sorry, without the logs it's impossible to debug.

Can't you even use an USB Wifi dongle to get temporary connection to upload the logs?

PS: please don't write with such big font, it's rude and contrary to the netiquette

This thread is for early mainline kernel, so no Kodi 18.7 here.

Something I noticed that too. Actually the driver should take care to do ondemand scaling, but the GPU is not reporting the load very well so it always stays at lowest frequency.

Overclocking does not worth it, the GPU and memory subsystems (2 core GPU + 64 bit memory bus) are simply not tough enough on the rk322x.

Anyway to make it permanent:

echo 'echo performance > /sys/class/devfreq/20001000.gpu/governor' >> ~/.config/autostart.sh

Hi jock2, I'm a bit confused about what is my real model, but i think it's normal with this chinese boxes.

Ahah, we're all confused trust me!

In the same chassis of yours (MXQ Pro 4K) I have a DDR3 rk3228b board signed as r329q v3.1, instead in another one (MXQ 4K) there is a rk3228a DDR2 board signed as xt-mx4vr-v01 ;(

If you could share your trick the let UHS mode work would be greatly appreciated!

I've a similar board (mine is mx4vr-v01). The image that works for me is the one for "MXQ 4K Pro, RK3228A, DDR3".

Probably you need to replace kernel dtb because in my case the image boots, turn on blue led but freeze with blank screen.

So I've extracted the dtb from my android firmware and used that.

That one is a MXQ 4K (without Pro), so you get RK3228A and DDR2 memories (not DDR3).