[unoffical] LE-9.2/9.80-Images for RK3229/RK3228

• Hi,

try to open file on sdcard first partition extlinux/extlinux.conf and remove/adjust the resolution inside kernel parameter 'video'

• C'è qualcuno con un buon cuore che mi spiegherebbe come estrarre il dtb dalla mia scatola Android, e poi spiegarmi come inserirlo passo dopo passo nel mio libreelec? Quindi spero di risolvere il problema di poter spegnere il mio mxq rk3229 dal telecomando.
    Grazie mille.

• Everybody trying to get support for wakeup via remote: This isn't currently (easily) possible - we are using a generic gpio-remote for LE now. To make wakeup work it would require to switch RK's proprietary driver - this again is not compatible with lirc and won't work with kodi. I won't put any further work in BSP kernel which goes beyond simple updating. There will be maybe will be a soultion for that in future and in mainline kernel.

Now that VP9 and HEVC rkvdec driver are in sight I suggest everybody to switch to mainline anyways ... and it would be great to get some feedback on this as well (and even if it is for testing only), since this is definitly the future (of everything ;)

• I'm experiencing random crashes on Kodi, the following error code shows up on a black screen:

Code
    grep: /proc/net/pnp: No such file or directory
    LibreELEC (knaerzche): devel-202004272131119-b7186bc
  • Hi all,

I've discovered that changing the gpu governor from 'simple_ondemand' (that seems to be hardcoded at startup into lima driver) to 'performance', set the gpu clock stable to maximum rate, improving overall gui experience.

Code
    echo -n performance > /sys/devices/platform/20000000.gpu/devfreq/20000000.gpu/governor

I've also experimented that

- the gpu is overclockable at 700Mhz (higher clock rate cause hard reset)

- CPU can be overclockable at 1,500Ghz

However, the above clocks settings don't seem to make miracles (at least with kodi).

• Something I noticed that too. Actually the driver should take care to do ondemand scaling, but the GPU is not reporting the load very well so it always stays at lowest frequency.

Overclocking does not worth it, the GPU and memory subsystems (2 core GPU + 64 bit memory bus) are simply not tough enough on the rk322x.

Anyway to make it permanent:

echo 'echo performance > /sys/class/devfreq/http://20001000.gpu/governor' >> ~/.config/autostart.sh

• Overclocking does not worth it, the GPU and memory subsystems (2 core GPU + 64 bit memory bus) are simply not tough enough on the rk322x.

You are right... this kind of box is not suitable for cpu/gpu intensive tasks, but, in my opinion, it's powerful enough for libreelec usage.

Looking into kodi source I've discovered that for software decoded streams, gpu is used for upscaling and color conversions (opengles vertex/fragment shaders).

With a mpeg4 stream (that in mainline libreelec is not hardware decoded) playing with scaler(nearest vs bilinear) and resolutions (fullhd vs hd), make video looks worse/better.

So after some experiments with shaders I've finally found this trick.

To reduce gpu load I've substantially reverted this commit (by removing sections into shaders)

[GLES] VideoPlayer: rewrite yuv - rgb conversion · xbmc/xbmc@0aadf5d · GitHub

that introduces other colorspace conversions.

I know it's not a clean solution, considering I'm not a color space expert, but now the box is almost perfect :)

Edited 2 times, last by ilmich (May 24, 2020 at 9:37 AM).

• ilmich: Great finding :) I think (hope) kodi devs would like you to share this, if it improves SW rendered decoding on low end GPUs (again).

BTW: about all this overclocking stuff: Sure it can be done and I've disabled the highest cpu freq on all my images (as RK does in its android images) for only one reason: All these TV Boxes have a poor/non existend thermal "design" - clocking higher/using performance governor will lead to, that hardware will automatically throttle all IPs (not only GPU/CPU) if it reaches a given "critical" temparature which will result in an slower HW decoding as well.

• Searching on kodi official github I've found

- Kodi PR#15286 improved rendering performance: · wrxtasy/CoreELEC@8f98ed7 · GitHub CoreELEC patch that is basically what I've done with my box

- [GLES] memcpy instead multi glTexSubImage2D for planes with pitch by peak3d · Pull Request #15286 · xbmc/xbmc · GitHub discussion of what is the problem

- Kodi 18.0 stutters when playing DVD files (VIDEO_TS) on Fire TV · Issue #15405 · xbmc/xbmc · GitHub discussion (now closed) that let me thinking kodi devs will never accept this kind of patch (that is, obviusly, more like a workaround than a solution)

At this point let me know knaerzche if you think reasonable to patch only this libreelec port.

Just for share my experience:

- I've switched back to stable (only because I don't need an external wifi usb adapter)

- patched kodi (no overclock.. no governor... only shaders)

and now, I'm able to play well also netflix/prime tv shows with the appropriate kodi addon (assuming sd quality that is the max available resolution with the DRM addon usable with libreelec).

• Tested LibreELEC-RK322x.arm-9.2-devel-20200427220512-b7186bc-rk3229-ntn8.tar

on Dolamee D5 1Gb Ram 8Gb Rom, wifi rtl8189es;

everything works perfectly: lan, wifi, etc ...

Thank you so much for the excellent work

• Can you please elaborate how to apply this patch? I would like to be able to play hevc files without system reboot,

Thank you:)

• Can you please elaborate how to apply this patch? I would like to be able to play hevc files without system reboot,

Thank you:)

Assuming that you have a linux distribution:

- flash image as usual on a SD card

- mount first partition of sd card on your linux machine

Code
    # mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /some_mountpoints

- explode libreelec filesystem with squashfs tools

Code
    # mkdir tmp_dir 
    # cd tmp_dir
    # unsquashfs /some_mountpoints/SYSTEM 

at this point under squashfs-root you can find the exploded filesystem of libreelec.

- replace file squashfs-root/usr/share/kodi/system/shaders/GLES/2.0/gles_yuv2rgb_basic.frag

- replace file squashfs-root/usr/share/kodi/system/shaders/GLES/2.0/gles_yuv2rgb_bob.frag

- repackage squash filesystem, copy to sd card and umount

Code
     # mksquashfs squashfs-root/ SYSTEM -comp gzip
     # cp SYSTEM /some_mountpoints/SYSTEM
     # umount /dev/mmcblk0p1

that's all.

NB: this patch disable BT.709 color conversion that is slow on my mali 400 because it's use the pow math function.

• hey guys. i was hoping someone would help. i have an mk4vb v02 device and has the same hardware combo as v88 mars. the v88 mars image boots among all the images but kodi crashes to black screen after a few seconds. it successfully boots to kodi but crashes just a few seconds in. attached is my log.

• Thank you. I followed these steps and everything looked to be ok, but when I tried to start the system I got an error message "failed to start login service". The system starts but a lot of services are no running (ssh, etc). I think I will have to back to the original image.

Edited once, last by jaum20: double quote (June 16, 2020 at 5:14 PM).