[unoffical] LE-9.2/9.80-Images for RK3229/RK3228

• fabiobassa

1. I was only trying to compare Armbian v LE performance quickly, which is relevant to both forums.

In principle Armbian should be slower than LE, all other things being equal, since LE is a lightweight Kodi JeOS ( just enough OS) by design.

But if you are only streaming at 720p, maybe there isn't much performance difference with 2GB RAM or even 1GB RAM? That was the question.

Above 720p+, you get into all kinds of h264v 265 and GPU/VPU hw acceleration support issues. However if CPU software decoding is good enough for 720p, then Armbian v LE may not be much different in performance, with the standard h264.

2. The other issue, use of SSV6051P RK3229 .so driver for Amlogic S905/x/w is dependent upon respective architectures.

• shippy
    well you right , in small window the video are playing with mpv smoothly but even in small window you can't even touch the cpu heatsink and htop show cores very busy and the rest of functionality of the board very slowed

at the actual state I think is a little bit such as compare pears and apples because here on LE we have a finished work focused on media , on armbian media related stuff is work in process (still hacking all the video part) but indeed you can use armbian with great satisfaction as media server , voip server ( asterisk) samba shares, print server, mail and others and having a well reacting X11 environment too!

But even the thing could be in some way related to libreelec I still think this isn't the appropriate place and time to discuss of this, since the work on armbian is unfinished and not yet the right moment to have comparisons.

btw if you want have a try, thanks to great job made by jock2 here it goes some interesting links

Armbian 19.11.5 Ubuntu Bionic Desktop 18.04 - kernel 4.4.189

Armbian 19.11.5 Debian Buster Server Minimal - kernel 4.4.189

but be ready with ,e.g, not even boot caused by incorrect/unadapted ram speed , wrong loader blob etc etc etc:
    I am sure you have your uart always connected to easily debug problems.

For me, I will not answer more on armbian related stuff on this libreelec forum at the moment, thank you

Edited once, last by fabiobassa (February 2, 2020 at 8:06 AM).

• shippy : For the SSV6051 driver: In RK case it's part of their kernel and I saw a lot of RK releated code in there ... but I saw some Amlogic driver somewhere (think it was CE) ... I'm unsure if they ever could bring it to live. Even if not: Not having this wifi isn't a big lose, as you might have already noticed ;)

• fabiobassa

Thanks, this is all I needed 😏 I can check Armbian for further developments, as you said.

knaerzche

Thanks here 😊 too. Yes, LE/CE have got the SSV 6051P .so driver but it will only work in WiFi sta mode, which is no big loss as you pointed.

The fact that RK kernel has the SSV driver built in points to RK open source compatibility, and also that this driver is not transferable to Amlogic !

Good luck on your Armbian integration. Looking forward to it !

• The reason the SSV6051P driver works on the RK BSP kernel (and current Amlogic BSP kernels) has nothing to do with RK having better open-source compatibility. It is simply due to RK using an old kernel. I forget the exact kernel version where things break, but once you move beyond Linux 4.11 or 4.12 there are major crypto API changes and the driver no longer compiles. If you're lucky RK might task one of their internal devs to rewrite it at some point, but IMHO that's a long shot.

• First at all thank you for the great work of porting LibreELEC to RK3229-based boards!

The image LibreELEC-RK322x.arm-9.2-devel-20200114140204-0bca75f-rk3228b-v88marsII.img runs fine on my TV-BOX. But power leds display state wrong: blue and red leds both don't glow while the box works, and only blue led glows when the box is off.

Native firmware of the TV-BOX has DTS-sections:

while LibreELEC image has:

I changed "gpios" values in the LibreELEC "leds" section to:

led_blue gpios = <0x3f 0x7 0x0>

led_red gpios = <0x6c 0x15 0x0>

Now blue led glows while the box works and blue and red leds both glow when the box is off. And the blue led flashes on each remote control button pressing.

I would like more traditional behaviour: only blue led glows while the box works and only red led glows when the box power off.

How do I do correct power leds settings?

• Hi!

I have a fake chinese box T95Z Plus like this picture:

console-player-smart-tv-t95z-plus-led-android-9-4gb64gb-D_NQ_NP_940005-MLB40637846789_022020-F.webp

Using AIDA 64, I checked it has RK3229 chip, so I am trying to apply one of these LE versions to the SDCARD.

I bought this box advertised with 64gb / 4gb, but realized it actually is 16 gb / 4gb which is no problem at all. It is said to have android 9, but it could be a fake information as well. I did not check.

I tried to load all images informed to work with RK3229:

A95X1, D88, HK1 mini, V884K, V88Mars and HPH NT-N8. All these images won't show anything else than a black screen.

By accident I tried h96mini (it was before trying all the images mentioned above), and for this image I had the green led around the box on. With the other images no leds went up. Booting a standard android makes the leds shine in diferent collors like the image I posted above.

But after some time, I can see the following on the screen:

Code
    grep: /proc/net/pnp: No such file or directory
    ### Error in mount_flash: mount_common: Could not mount UUID=1401-5232
    ### Starting debugging shell for boot step: mount_flash... type exit to quit ###
    #

And it hangs on this.

If i type exit and press enter, I can see the LE logo in the center of the screen, but nothing else happens.

Do you guys have any suggestion for my case?

Thanks

Edited once, last by creited (February 7, 2020 at 11:53 AM).

• creited: They really sold a rk3228 what should be an s912? That's hard ... However: Looks like I forgo to acitvate sdmmc in devicetree (though to the fact, that "original" h96 mini has no sd slot) ... I will update the legacy images soon and change this too. You could try v88 mars II (notice the "II") ... this should work as well.

R0bur Might be that with 4.4-Kernel some pinctrls are initialised differently: Please try to replace GPIO_ACTIVE_HIGH to GPIO_ACTIVE_LOW for one or both leds (i.e: set 0x0 to 0x1)

Edited once, last by knaerzche (February 7, 2020 at 1:22 PM).

• The reason the SSV6051P driver works on the RK BSP kernel (and current Amlogic BSP kernels) has nothing to do with RK having better open-source compatibility. It is simply due to RK using an old kernel. I forget the exact kernel version where things break, but once you move beyond Linux 4.11 or 4.12 there are major crypto API changes and the driver no longer compiles. If you're lucky RK might task one of their internal devs to rewrite it at some point, but IMHO that's a long shot.

The last time I checked for an LE S905/x/w image for a generic box with SSV6051P wifi chipset, c. Sep 2019, the AP mode didn't work.

So is there an LE S905/x/w image version on which the AP mode does work?

I know this is more an LE question, but then it helps to compare with RK image too which works with AP mode.

• creited : They really sold a rk3228 what should be an s912? That's hard ... However: Looks like I forgo to acitvate sdmmc in devicetree (though to the fact, that "original" h96 mini has no sd slot) ... I will update the legacy images soon and change this too. You could try v88 mars II (notice the "II") ... this should work as well.

Are you saying that it should be rk3228 even though AIDA 64 says rk3229? For the price paid, I was aware that s912 wouldn't be the chip inside.

Is there any android APP that I might run to see some chips information? Ie: Wireless chip, DDR3 or other... etc.

I will give it a try with the image you suggested. Thank you very much!

• Are you saying that it should be rk3228 even though AIDA 64 says rk3229? For the price paid, I was aware that s912 wouldn't be the chip inside.

Is there any android APP that I might run to see some chips information? Ie: Wireless chip, DDR3 or other... etc.

I will give it a try with the image you suggested. Thank you very much!

We reviewed several rk322x boards and found a board which has a SoC marked as rk3229, reports the signature of rk3229 from the efuse but does not boot with rk3229 images. Instead it boots with rk3228 images; so, yes!, rockchip really made a mess around this chip.

• R0bur Might be that with 4.4-Kernel some pinctrls are initialised differently: Please try to replace GPIO_ACTIVE_HIGH to GPIO_ACTIVE_LOW for one or both leds (i.e: set 0x0 to 0x1)

Thank you for the recommendations!

I have solved the flashing blue led on RC-events trouble by removing "linux,default-trigger = "rc-feedback";" line from the red led section and putting "linux,default-trigger = "default-on";" line to the blue led section.

Next I try to play with GPIO_ACTIVE_HIGH and GPIO_ACTIVE_LOW values:

Code
    0x0 0x0

Power on    Power off
    Blue        +        +
    Red         -        +
    Code
    0x1 0x1

Power on    Power off
    Blue        -        -
    Red         +        -

"0x0" is most suitable case and red led works as expected. So my trouble is that the blue led doesn't switches its state.

• How is it going? Do you have any guide on how to boot it on TV Box?

Well, at the moment legacy 4.4 kernel works fine. About mainline kernel, I imported knaerzche patches and they works fine, but at the moment the Lima driver does not work with X11.

Some installation instructions and (old) images are available on the armbian forum

Other than that, you should be perfectly able to use rkdeveloptool to burn the image directly on the embedded emmc and it should work flawlessy.

• Hi,

I just bootet a A95XR1 (Rockchip 3228 the label says at least) with the

Code
    LibreELEC-RK322x.arm-9.2-devel-20200114141107-0bca75f-rk3229-a95xr1.img.gz

Image.

Works even with 1080i for a couple of minutes now very stable. Wireless Stations were found but not tested yet. Ethernet works fine so far.

But the remote isn't working at all. is it the same (complicated...) procedure to get a working remote.conf as it is with the amlogic devices or is there a simpler way? I mean, the imagefile already says the devicename in it, so I thought it might work out of the box:-)

Thanks a lot for the great work! you give my small, underpowered RK3228/9 devices a new life with that!

Cheers