[unoffical] LE-9.2/9.80-Images for RK3229/RK3228

About ssv6x5x, I did not even try it on mainline kernel, it is a miracle it compiles and works on legacy 4.4 ^^ Probably the drivers requires a complete overhaul to work well with mainline kernels. Its sibling, the ssv6051 driver, has been left behind by rockchip itself in the jump to the 4.19 kernel they recently made. ssv6x5x and ssv6051 are very similar, and both of them are incredibly messy!

^ from a later post in the same thread you found. Armbian often uses legacy vendor kernels to support devices. That thread is using the Rockchip 4.4 kernel. There are major crypto changes around 4.12 that break the drivers.

• I adjusted the ssv6x5x driver to work on armbian with legacy 4.4 rockchip kernel only. The driver is a huge mess. When compiled it turned out to be several megabytes, which is just wrong since a wifi driver should not be bigger than 50-100 kbytes.

I would really like to start a project to rebuild a fresh new simple driver for ssv6256p and ssv6051p as knaerzche suggested to me some months ago, but yet I'd like to introduce myself to kernel wifi module programming first, which may take a looong time...

The chip, although, proved to work pretty fine with nice throughput even with the onboard antenna!

• jock2 When people first went looking for the SSV6051P driver some sources were found on GitHub and there was a theory the chip was a clone of a Realtek part. Some of the sources had a bash script for changing what appeared to be realtek IDs for SSV ones, and sources had similar structure to old(er) Realtek drivers. I forget the details now, esp. what Realtek chip was hinted, but someone attempted to recreate the same process and didn't get anywhere with it. Not that suprising really.. and the whole Realtek theory could be a red-herring.

Also for background: One of the Rockchip devs (these days ex-Rockchip, but native Mandarin speaker) did some research for us a couple of years ago and told us SSV went bust in 2016, but the assets appear to have been acquired by icomm, and 新闻资讯-深圳市南方硅谷半导体有限公司 shows blog/post activity dated from April 2020 - and since I last looked at their site (a couple of years ago) a range of new chips appears to have appeared. The icomm website claims the company started in 2018.

If the idea of a rewrite ever moves beyond the idea stage keep us posted. We'd be keen to offer support; even if only the moral kind :)

• Thanks ilmich

Installed your rom on: Dolamee D5

1/8 Gb

Cpu: RK3229

wi-fi: rtl8189es

Everything works, wi-fi, etc .....

I don't know if the remote is working as I use a mini usb keyboard.

Thanks for the great work

• ilmich You've done an amazing job with the images, even the controller functioned out of the box when I tried them, but the images you had previously posted are no longer available, would you please reupload at least the v88 or HK1MINI roms? Also, is there a way to overclock these processors beyond spec? I modded an old MX9 4K with a beefier cooler to work as an IPTV box for my grandmother, and I noticed that, at least nominally, different roms (the ones that worked) had different performance ratings.

Anyways, amazing work from ilmich and knaerzche, congratulations.

EDIT: Actually nevermind, after 3 days fighting with VBOX and Ubuntu, (first time I use them since 2011) I managed to compile it myself, I edited the frequencies in the driver, let's see if the ol' box doesn't fry.

Edited once, last by Caassapaba (September 4, 2021 at 4:16 AM).

• chewitt thanks for the moral support :D

It would be a nice pet project, it could be useful to learn how to write a wireless driver for linux, yet I need to figure out where to start from; mostly I miss the background knowledge of kernel context, with its rules and function helpers. I would really love to read a valid book about kernel programming, but I just found ancient resources from 10 years old ago or even more. Kernel is a moving target, 10 years are quite too much...

BTW icomm company seems to have took over SSV and they show ssv6256p on their site, but not ssv6051p; I guess the ssv6051p is just a so old and discontinued part that it is not interesting at all for the company. For my point of view, it is still a valid chip that deserve a decent driver.

About the realtek clone, I heard about that for other chips, but never for ssv ones. I inspected the ssv source code but never found any hint about realtek compatibility. It looks to me that it is an ancient style code wrote by kernel newbies because there is tons and tons of boilerplate code that is totally useless nowadays and could be just thrashed away with no pain. I'll keep you updated if I try this feat :D

Edited once, last by jock2 (August 29, 2021 at 3:52 PM).

• I'm trying to do a Libreelec 10 build with the legacy kernel and @knaersche patches.

Now I understand why the developers chose to switch to mainline code and remove proprietary software support :).

It took me a while to get kodi up and running (mali blobs works only with some glibc and kernel builds only with gcc 8).

But at this moment, it's the only way to get my box working 100%, so I decided to give it a try and eventually share my results :).

Hi! Im a little confused, I've been using this and it worked somewhat fine: LibreELEC-RK322x.arm-9.2-devel-20200427220805-b7186bc-rk3229-v884k
    Was going to download on of yours that were updated but cant find them or dont know which is compatible. Any help?

• I have compiled a v88 4k image of ilmich 's latest release, and the libreelec addons repository absolutely refuses to connect, I've done every ntp and network troubleshooting that I could find, but no dice, does anyone have any idea on why is this happening?

• Either you rebranded the distro name to something other than "LibreELEC" or (more likely) you haven't overriden the URL for accessing the add-on server, so it will fall back to looking for a project/device combo that genuinely doesn't exist on our server: LE has never shipped an "RK322x" device so we have never built add-ons for that image. You'll need to link to something binary compatible.

• I have compiled a v88 4k image of ilmich 's latest release, and the libreelec addons repository absolutely refuses to connect, I've done every ntp and network troubleshooting that I could find, but no dice, does anyone have any idea on why is this happening?

if you want me to test the image, im here.

my fork use the repository for rk3328 (see this commit) because rk3328 is binary compatible with rk322x (see first post).

But now this repository seems unreachable, so you have to build addons yourself. In my Google Drive I've shared some prebuilt add-ons.

EDIT: maybe using repository for raspberry 1/2 should work

• maybe someone can help me...

I have 2 piece of h96 mini h8 boxes. I followed the instruction from @knaerzche, to flash the loader using rk322x_loader_v1.10.256.bin.... etc... one of the box is working fine with LE. Sofar all fine. However the other is not booting now. (The flashing happened the same way, without issues, but still it won't boot). Unfortunately on this box there is no SD card.

I found on some other pages howto reset the eMMC (with pin 7-8). And I managed to put the device again into the maskrom mode, and I performed the flash again, (just to check if it was a mistake during the flashing) but the result is the same. The device is stucked somewhere in the boot process, it won't power on the HDMI. I can put again to maskrom mode..... is there any idea what could be wrong? What options do I have (left)?

Thanks.

• There is an "RK3328" device in our buildsystem, but no "3328" device, so add-on requests are doing exactly what you coded, which is wrong.

I'm trying this fix tomorrow, I'll share my results with you but I won't fork, I'm making some voltage and frequency alterations that I'm not sure are exactly safe or sane.

• Guys, I've been reading this forum on and on to identify my RK3228.

I really wanted to know what model is it without opening the device.

So far I've confirmed it's RK3228:

root@armbian:~# hexdump -C /sys/bus/nvmem/devices/rockchip-efuse0/nvmem

00000000 52 4b 23 82 81 f0 70 55 52 4b 56 32 33 30 30 36 |RK#...pURKV23006|

00000010 00 00 00 00 02 22 0a 05 00 04 01 00 00 80 00 00 |....."..........|

00000020#

#52 4b 23 82 (RK3228)

It would be 52 4b 23 92 if it was an RK3229.

Does anybody knows if is there a way to find if it's RK3228 model A or Model B ?

The Wifi driver is : ssv6x5x

• There is an "RK3328" device in our buildsystem, but no "3328" device, so add-on requests are doing exactly what you coded, which is wrong.

ilmich I tried this fix, it worked! Also...

Is there no way to incorporate this to the code? The storage partition isn't resizing properly.
    Sorry for not taking the initiative here, but I'm not really that competent a coder :)