Unstable Wifi

• I'm using an old PC with LibreElec. I admittedly haven't turned it on in a while but I did the other day and saw:

"[Failed] Failed to start Wait on network."

When the system finished booting up I was not connected to wifi. I tried to connect manually but it seems to connect and disconnect intermittently. I increased the wait on network to 30 seconds but that didn't help. I updated to the latest beta version but that didn't help. I'm guessing there is a driver issue with my ac wifi dongle but the only error I see in dmesg is related to bluetooth. How do I troubleshoot this? Thanks!

• Do you have auto update enabled? If so, it looks like your unit has automatically upgraded to the latest release. Your Edimax wifi is using a realtek chip which *might* be no longer supported.

Because of the driver issues with realtek chips support has been limited and the preferred option is to use a Wifi bridge to ethernet.

If you can remember the previous release, it might be possible to downgrade (Make a backup first)

More Info

• I looked back at my original attachment where I had run lsusb -v and found:

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 7392:a811 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd

Interestingly the verbose output also shows

iManufacturer 1 Realtek

iProduct 2 802.11n WLAN Adapter

though this is an ac adaptor.

Do you think its using the wrong driver and this is causing the problem?

• Only 1 wifi (wlan0). I bet its a driver issue.

"Your Edimax wifi is using a realtek chip which *might* be no longer supported."

How do i confirm if my wifi adapter is supported and anyway to add support if it is not?

• How do i confirm if my wifi adapter is supported and anyway to add support if it is not?

A complete compatibility list does not exist (you have to watch LE's Linux kernel for that).

When the product descriptions says Linux compatible, and it's not from Realtek, then give it a try.

Here is an incomplete list for OpenELEC on RPi, just to give a small overview: RPi USB Wi-Fi Adapters

Hint: An adapter with an antenna works better.

• Hi, i have same problem on Libreelec for PI3 and PI4, on few boot the Wifi connection could work automatically or not. I use only the wifi on the PI. I thinks there is an unstable wifi connection protocol on libreelec. When i used OSMC on PI3 with a wifi configurated on wpa_supplicant, the wifi was worked everytime with not unstable behavior like that. But there is no wpa_supplicant possibility on librelec or i didn't find how.