Hyperion addon does not work with inputstream.adaptive (Netflix etc.) with Pi4

• Please only use the LibreELEC Hyperion addon and the LibreELEC Hypercon version to configure it (see this Wiki page for details Hypercon [LibreELEC.wiki]).

so long,

Hias

I might have a worse problem.. Playing videos of 720p and up incl youtube gets me "no signal" on my RPi 4 using hyperion, the lights change color correctly :(. Tried with hypercon from the hyperion-project, removed it, and I have also tried using the libreelec addon. Tried powering through GPIO and using a beefier adapter (Oneplus 15W Dash charge adapters), no luck. Everything was fine and dandy with RPi 3 :(

Removing the 4k option in config and limiting it to 1080 incl GUI doesn't work.

• I discovered new issue, maybe it is related with what JohnWayne111 is suffering.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rqw-9wumwy0o-2de7bhuiilgtwxhxtsy/view?usp=sharing

Easy to reproduce:

- I play netflix at 1080 with hyperion active. OK

- I activate subtitles, then image goes crazy&black every few seconds, to test it, I simply pause the video and everything is going so crazy (00:15:00).

- I deactivate hyperion, it works ok (00:30:00), I re-activate hyperion, it goes crazy (00:37:00).

- I deactivate subtitles, resume playing in order to disappear previous onscreen subtitles then I pause again. Everyting is OK (00:49:00).

So, my conclusion: something is wrong with subtitles and overlay UI graphics (without subtitles, some crazy flashes can be seen when appearing player interface when pausing or subtitles activation/deactivation notification e.g.00:07:00).

EDIT: this is happening ONLY whithout external grabber, just with hyperion getting kodi's video signal. If I force to use the signal from the external video grabber by switching priorities in config json file, everything works OK.

• Maybe the same issue.

But in my case it doesnt matter if subtitles are on/off. But you see, anything works not correct with inputstrea.adative and hyperion. :(

Maybe tomorrow i make a new video.

EDIT:

LOL !

It works with external grabber ! Play netflix 1080p with internal grabber - issue!

I activate my external grabber and play netflix 1080p with no issues!

Edited once, last by JohnWayne111 (December 8, 2019 at 10:14 PM).

• Can you check if you get the black screens also with some other software-decoded videos (eg 1080p MPEG2 or VC-1 or by disabling MMAL acceleration in Player->Video)? Ideally with some publicly available sample file so it can be easily reproduced.

Would be interesting to know if it's a general issue with software decoded videos or if it's limited to Netflix, inputstream.adaptive or the widevine CDM.

so long,

Hias

• what does it mean?

Disable MMAL and try the same netflix video ?

--> i disable MMAL and play netflix but the same issue with internal grabber.

With deactivated MMAL and external grabber no problems.

No. What I meant with "other software decoded videos" is play some MPEG2/4/VC-1 file from your card (or NAS) - i.e. something that's not Netflix.

RPi4 only supports H264 / MPEG4 and H265 / HEVC hardware acceleration, so if you want to play those files with software decode you have to manually disable MMAL acceleration. 1080p HEVC will be way too CPU-demanding to play smooth and 1080p60 H264 probably, too. So testing with MPEG2 (and maybe VC-1) might be better. Though smooth playback isn't really high priority, if you get black screens is interesting.

so long,

Hias

• how do I can play 4k with hyperion. You said something about an file to insert. How do I do that and is 4k with hyperion after that possible?

4k playback with hyperion doesn't work ATM - I immediately get "no signal" when I try. Either disable hyperion or the 4k modes in whitelist (so 4k movies get played back at 1080p and have working hyperion).

so long,

Hias

• I tried random video files from my HDD library, both with and without MMAL and everything plays smoothly with hyperion working both using external or internal grabber config file.

In my case, it is only with internal kodi video grabber hyperion, netflix and subtitles activated (also minor issues with kodi UI overlay, but it doesn't matter because it is something that is not there when playing a movie/tvshow daily).

• 4k playback with hyperion doesn't work ATM - I immediately get "no signal" when I try. Either disable hyperion or the 4k modes in whitelist (so 4k movies get played back at 1080p and have working hyperion).

so long,

Hias

many thanks buddy. Then for now is better to use the rpi3 if 4k is not possible with hyperion.

Perhaps in the future it will be fixed.

So long

• I tried random video files from my HDD library, both with and without MMAL and everything plays smoothly with hyperion working both using external or internal grabber config file.

In my case, it is only with internal kodi video grabber hyperion, netflix and subtitles activated (also minor issues with kodi UI overlay, but it doesn't matter because it is something that is not there when playing a movie/tvshow daily).

where can I disable MMAL?

• so, i download some mpeg2 videos from youtube and try this without MMAL activation - works fine.

Here a new video. I start netflix the series House of Money with internal grabber. You see ambilight is ruinnung but NO SCREEN.

I switch with my remote to external grabber and instantly i got a screens with no more issues. Switch back to internal grabber it goes instantly to a permanent black screen.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• 4k playback with hyperion doesn't work ATM - I immediately get "no signal" when I try. Either disable hyperion or the 4k modes in whitelist (so 4k movies get played back at 1080p and have working hyperion).

so long,

Hias

so where will I find the whitelist then to make the change?

many thanks