[7.0.3.3d] LibreELEC 7.0 for S805

• kszaq thanks, this will be a great step forward for many, and I'm sure will avoid issues down the track.

It just seems strange that, posts here suggest this is ONLY an issue for 3_1 boards yet, from what I read elsewhere, it is normal practice to look at efuse for the MAC address, at least with Amlogic boards. I wonder why the other revision boards are not affected?

I have looked at patches used with other builds, but I'm sadly nowhere near competent enough to tackle this sort of stuff myself.

Keep up the impressive work & thanks again for looking into this issue

Edited once, last by Poida (June 14, 2016 at 9:40 AM).

• Is there maybe a script I can run, to change / spoof the MAC address of one of the boxes?
    I also begin to wonder if the problem is confined to v3_1 boards. Can anyone confirm that they have purchased multiple boxes of the same motherboard version and have different MAC addresses assigned to each, with these builds?

Hi, try this. It solved a similar problem in OpenElec on a S812 box, using the info from this post on Freaktab
    the MAC address has been rock stable since but you have to pick one yourself.

You can change the MAC address with a udev rule.

• SMB into the box
    • Select the shared folder for the configfiles
    • put a file named 99-mac-address.rules into /storage/.config/udev.rules.d with the following content
    Code
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", KERNEL=="eth0", RUN+="/sbin/ip link set dev %k address 00:00:DD:6A:6B:C7"

(change the address to your needs)

• Reboot the box

Edited once, last by Bruur (June 14, 2016 at 9:42 AM).

• It just seems strange that, posts here suggest this is ONLY an issue for 3_1 boards yet, from what I read elsewhere, it is normal practice to look at efuse for the MAC address, at least with Amlogic boards. I wonder why the other revision boards are not affected?

Other TV-Box boards store MAC address in "NAND key" and that's where kernel in my builds read it from. It's been working well until V3_1 boards appeared. ;)

• Off-topic (in that I'm using an s905) but I'm looking for a hint or two...
    I'm booting from sd card, so I have SYSTEM, kernel.img, dtb.img and aml_autoscript in the root of the card.
    Could you tell me...
    1) where the pointer to the storage partition is in all that lot, and...
    2)How easy it would be (or not!) to change that to another partition.

On my pc's and pi's I use a couple of storage partitions, so I can jump between stable and test versions without them interfering with each other - so I'm thinking about whether it's possible to do something similar in amlogic-world.
    Any pointers appreciated.

• Off-topic (in that I'm using an s905) but I'm looking for a hint or two...
    I'm booting from sd card, so I have SYSTEM, kernel.img, dtb.img and aml_autoscript in the root of the card.
    Could you tell me...
    1) where the pointer to the storage partition is in all that lot, and...
    2)How easy it would be (or not!) to change that to another partition.

In general pointers to kernel and system image are in kernel command line. I haven't released anything for S905 yet so I don't know how the build you're using works. Better ask the person who built it.

• Man, you're all over this kszaq - I'll just stop trying to figure it out and leave up to the maestro, I think LOL

@Bruur I'll take a look at that, while I wait for the Guru to work his Magic

• To make remote work you need to copy remote.conf from Android firmware unless this box uses a different remote driver.

Hello @ kszaq , sorry for the noob Qs

Which path should be copied remote.conf from Android firmware mxq s805 with red strip to LE 7.0.1.4( but I dont know where to copy it to and how ? )

Thank you

Edited once, last by reward (June 14, 2016 at 12:25 PM).

• I will try to patch kernel to take MAC address from efuse as this seems to be the right place. I need to prepare a patch and test it on other boards to make sure it doesn't break things. This will take a few days since I'm very busy with my regular job and assembling a S905 build (preview coming soon ).

First of all, Mali drivers that are used in LE for Amlogic are Fbdev and for X11 you need to use a different set of libraries. You can get X11 libraries from buildroot (get it from Index of /download/ARM/filesystem) from package/opengl folder. As I never played with X11 I can't help you further but you may want to look at Hardkernel forums for hints as their Odroid-C1 uses the same SoC.

Thank you! that is a clue.
    there are a version of Debian Jessie ready for Odroid-C1 . but it hasnt the simplicity of install that LibreELEC has.
    maybe copy and paste both universes.
    So now need another clue in order to make a image of debian to boot in MXQ like LibreELEC.
    Can you guide me to find the right process?
    Thanks again.

• Which path should be copied remote.conf from Android firmware mxq s805 with red strip to LE 7.0.1.4( but I dont know where to copy it to and how ? )

Thank you

There is a hint in the first post. If you don't have original Android firmware in ZIP, you can follow the guide from this post: LibreELEC

Keep in mind that some buttons may still not work after doing this.

So now need another clue in order to make a image of debian to boot in MXQ like LibreELEC.
    Can you guide me to find the right process?
    Thanks again.

You need to hook up a serial console and use u-boot scripting. Standard Amlogic u-boot doesn't have boot.ini support so you need to execute commands from it manually. I can't promise it'll work, I've never tried running anything other that OE/LE on these boxes.

Poida Can you test if this build reads a correct MAC for you: LibreELEC-S805.m201d.arm-7.0-devel-20160614205642-r23062-gbbc99e4.tar
    I've also added a small change that might make remote control wakeup work. Can you test it as well? I don't have access to the box right now and I'll be grateful for results.

• Can you test if this build reads a correct MAC for you

Yep, reads the correct MAC address but still not able to wake up the box with the remote after poweroff / suspend.

One down, one to go Thanks for rushing this through kszaq

The not waking is easier to work around until you get time to take a closer look.

Poida Can you test if this build reads a correct MAC for you: LibreELEC-S805.m201d.arm-7.0-devel-20160614205642-r23062-gbbc99e4.tar
    I've also added a small change that might make remote control wakeup work. Can you test it as well? I don't have access to the box right now and I'll be grateful for results.

I too can confirm that this dev release also fixes mac address on my v3_1 device too [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Hi,

Good works and thanks for your work an these builds.

I've got an All Black MXQ s805 with LibreELEC-S805.HD18Q.arm-7.0.1.4 installed on SD Card, iv'e also tried it on NAND and also installing LibreELEC-S805.MXQ.arm-7.0.1.4 to SD Card and NAND.
    My issue is that the resolution is always greyed out. I can change it if i change it on the Android UI but it's still greyed out and cannot be changed on Kodi.

Is this normal?
    And will movies be effected?

thanks.

• Hi,

Good works and thanks for your work an these builds.

I've got an All Black MXQ s805 with LibreELEC-S805.HD18Q.arm-7.0.1.4 installed on SD Card, iv'e also tried it on NAND and also installing LibreELEC-S805.MXQ.arm-7.0.1.4 to SD Card and NAND.
    My issue is that the resolution is always greyed out. I can change it if i change it on the Android UI but it's still greyed out and cannot be changed on Kodi.

Is this normal?
    And will movies be effected?

thanks.

Firstly i will answer the first problem referring to Kodi Application in Android.
    You are not able to set resolution in the Kodi Application because the crap Chinese Android OS does not have the correct permissions set to change resolution or adjust display refresh rate. Whatever you do in Android settings will not be used in the Kodi Application.
    The result is Rubbish Playback.

The second issue of Greyed Out Resolution in settings using LibreELEC is something i have only seen whilst using some skins outside of Confluence. Have you tried using Confluence when setting the resolution ???
    I hope you haven't backed up an Android build and then restored it to LibreELEC as this may have caused it.

Do a hard reset and then try to set resolution whilst using confluence.

That is all i can advise for now.

Edited once, last by kostaman (June 16, 2016 at 6:55 AM).

• Firstly i will answer the first problem referring to Kodi Application in Android.
    You are not able to set resolution in the Kodi Application because the crap Chinese Android OS does not have the correct permissions set to change resolution or adjust display refresh rate. Whatever you do in Android settings will not be used in the Kodi Application.
    The result is Rubbish Playback.

The second issue of Greyed Out Resolution in settings using LibreELEC is something i have only seen whilst using some skins outside of Confluence. Have you tried using Confluence when setting the resolution ???
    I hope you haven't backed up an Android build and then restored it to LibreELEC as this may have caused it.

Do a hard reset and then try to set resolution whilst using confluence.

That is all i can advise for now.

I haven't used the crappy Android version of Kodi.

When in the Android settings (not kodi android) i can change the resolution settings and that is what is used in libreelec, even if i run from nand. Also it's greyed out at the same time.

I am using stock Confluence.

What exactly do you mean by hard reset?

• When in the Android settings (not kodi android) i can change the resolution settings and that is what is used in libreelec, even if i run from nand. Also it's greyed out at the same time.

Some boxes have hardware flaws that prevent them from reading EDID correctly. You can work this around by using disp_cap_hack