Add Wireguard support

• Hi,

After all the hype around, I gave a try to Wireguard last weekend, and I must say, I’m also convinced. Man, this is really done so good. Easy to configure, so light on resources, and so fast. It would be really great to add Wireguard to kernel as it can solve so many things, so simple to use and really fast. Any chance that it is added to the Kernel? Is it complicated for some reason?

Thanks

• This is planned in the near future, but not implemented yet.

WireGuard Didn't Make it To The Mainline Linux Kernel This Cycle - Phoronix

If you really need Wireguard immediately, you can use the beta 3.0 firmware on GL.inet routers

I think they submitted the code (revised) again and should get into 5.x kernel. Or at least many of us hope so. If yes, it will be in LE too?

Btw, why is it not possible to add it to kernel on building? Lot of distroes already added, like Armbian.

WG so good, so simple to configure, and resource friendly, something really important on SoC devices on which LE/CE runs most of the time. I couldn't believe how fast speed I am getting from a NanoPi NEO2 with Armbian, compared to OpenVPN.

• I think they submitted the code (revised) again and should get into 5.x kernel. Or at least many of us hope so. If yes, it will be in LE too?

Sooner or later.

Btw, why is it not possible to add it to kernel on building?

You also need to build a G.U.I. to control it in Kodi. And this might have to be changed after the new kernel is released. Other bugs & features have a higher priority now.

I couldn't believe how fast speed I am getting, compared to OpenVPN.

Sure, probably 4 or 5 times better -- possibly even more, depending on which cipher was used in OpenVPN. Wireguard is great for creating tunnels between two machines or private networks, but it is not ready to be deployed in commercial proxy applications because it lacks dynamic IP address management:

WireGuard VPN: What You Need to Know - NOT (Yet) Recommended