Posts by LE23

Is your repository still online? I can install it but trying to install any addon in the repo gives me a failure.

Every installation fails except the Thoradia repository. He needs to update the repo and host it on Github in uncompressed format, so Kodi can check for updated add-ons properly. But it may not matter since everything except Plex Media Server (PMS) is now available in the LibreELEC repository.

Fresh installs now require your own API Keys.

I was not able to work out all the hoops to get a google outh api set of keys

For anyone who needs it, the installation instructions are provided here. Most problems are related to the following issues:

1) If you want to generate API keys, you must sign-in with a Google account. (If you already have a Google account, you may want to create a separate account for Kodi).

2) If the YouTube add-on does not work, verify that the API Key / API Id / API Secret are typed exactly as shown on the APIs & services page of your Google account.

Just for reference, there is an open source YouTube client for Android which does not require API keys.

NewPipe - a free YouTube client

I think most people wont use it without a GUI, and if you can already get Wireguard support in a cheap pocket router it liberates CPU resources for Kodi. On those GL routers, both client & server configuration can be done through a web interface for both Wireguard & OpenVPN. At some point maybe the Kodi web interface will support Wireguard client configuration too. But can you afford to expend any CPU resources on a VPN if you have a weak CPU (which represents the majority of LibreELEC users).

DirectVNC is a client implementing the remote framebuffer protocol (rfb) which is used by VNC servers. If a VNC server is running on a machine you can connect to it using this client and have the contents of its display shown on your screen. Keyboard and mouse events are sent to the server, so you can basically control a VNC server remotely. There are servers (and other clients) freely available for all operating systems.

What makes DirectVNC different from other unix VNC clients is that it uses the linux framebuffer device through the DirectFB library which enables it to run on anything that has a framebuffer without the need for a running X server. This includes embedded devices. DirectFB even uses acceleration features of certain graphics cards. Thus a lot of configuration can be done by creating the library specific configuration file /etc/directfbrc or the program-specific configuration file /etc/directfbrc.directvnc. See directfbrc

directvnc : Precise (12.04) : Ubuntu

I think they submitted the code (revised) again and should get into 5.x kernel. Or at least many of us hope so. If yes, it will be in LE too?

Sooner or later.

Btw, why is it not possible to add it to kernel on building?

You also need to build a G.U.I. to control it in Kodi. And this might have to be changed after the new kernel is released. Other bugs & features have a higher priority now.

I couldn't believe how fast speed I am getting, compared to OpenVPN.

Sure, probably 4 or 5 times better -- possibly even more, depending on which cipher was used in OpenVPN. Wireguard is great for creating tunnels between two machines or private networks, but it is not ready to be deployed in commercial proxy applications because it lacks dynamic IP address management:

WireGuard VPN: What You Need to Know - NOT (Yet) Recommended

While alternatives are being discussed here, I wanted to mention that you can also run adblock on many home routers by replacing the factory firmware with OpenWRT and then installing the adblock package:

OpenWrt Project: Supported devices

OpenWrt Project: Ad blocking

Gargoyle Router Management Utility

This blocking method is perhaps not as feature rich and user friendly as PiHole or AdGuard with the nice GUI — but it does not require extra hardware and it will block the most common privacy violating trackers (DoubleClick, Google Analytics, etc.) What matters most is the quality of the block list; everything else is a matter of preference.

There is also an app called GA checker for Kodi which scans your addons for obfuscated code and references to Google Analytics.

http://redirect.superrepo.org/v7/addons/plug…cker-1.1.6a.zip

I noticed that LibreELEC has a VNC server for Raspberry Pi, but there is no VNC client in the repository. (I typically use LibreELEC in a classroom environment to display videos from a networked file server — but sometimes I need it to mirror the screen of the instructors desktop PC.)

On the RPi 3 platform, I found a couple of keys which did not work correctly on my MCE remote (model RC-1). So I created a custom key table by copying '/usr/lib/udev/rc_keymaps/rc6_mce' to '/storage/.config/rc_keymaps'. My transceiver is detected as follows:

# ir-keytable

Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event4) with:

Name: Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared Remote Transceiver (1784:0006)

Driver: mceusb, table: rc-rc6-mce

lirc device: /dev/lirc0

Supported protocols: lirc rc-5 rc-5-sz jvc sony nec sanyo mce_kbd rc-6 sharp xmp imon rc-mm

Enabled protocols: lirc nec rc-6

bus: 3, vendor/product: 1784:0006, version: 0x0100

Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms

For some reason I cant understand, on this remote the LibreELEC default WINDOWS key assignment:

0x800f040d KEY_MEDIA

...performs the same function as the BACK button. For example, if I am in Kodi "Videos/Add-ons", the BACK key and WINDOWS key do the same thing. As MCE remotes already have dedicated keys for each type of media, and all of my RF remotes have a HOME key which invokes the main menu on LibreELEC, I believe the WINDOWS key should do the same on an MCE remote - so I assigned it like this:

0x800f040d KEY_HOME

However, it still behaves the same way -- as the back key. So I changed KEY_HOME to KEY_VOLUMEUP, and that works. I then assigned it to KEY_EPG, and this works too. But it appears that KEY_HOME and KEY_MEDIA do the same thing in LIRC (which is to navigate back). Looks like a bug to me.

The BACK key on this remote is assigned by default as follows:

0x800f0423 KEY_EXIT

And it does work - but just for the sake of clarity, I thought the key should be explicitly assigned to the back function, like this:

0x800f0423 KEY_BACK

So I tested it, and the key performs the back function with both. (Not that it matters in this case, since the key already does what it should - but its here for the sake of documentation.)

On my remote the MORE INFO key :

0x800f040f KEY_INFO

currently displays the add-on properties window, instead of displaying the context menu (meaning: there is no way to raise the context menu -- at least on my model). So I thought this key should be reassigned as follows:

0x800f040f KEY_MENU

I tested this, and it works correctly -- so I now have a working CONTEXT MENU button, just like my RF remotes that function correctly in LibreELEC. From reading the documentation here...

Infrared Remotes [LibreELEC.wiki]

...it appears to me that all of the MCE remotes are assigned the same default keytable on LibreELEC -- so if they all function the same way, with respect to the MORE INFO key, I believe this particular change should be published for everyone.

"kodi-send" does not give any kind of succeed or fail indication. It only confirms that a message was sent. If you send an invalid command (e.g. action=baloney) it would never tell you the command is not supported. The only result is that I see no image in the screenshot folder. So I turned on debugging and repeated the command. Aside from keyboard events, this is the only thing that was logged:

DEBUG: cached image '/storage/screenshots/screenshot003.png' size 1920x1080

I'm looking at the screenshot folder through an SFTP connection and I dont see the image, even after refreshing the directory. I am not really concerned about it, but I wanted to see if others had encountered the same issue, since the context button also quit working on Play in LE 9. But the screenshot problem seems to have cleared up after a reboot, so I cant reproduce it now.

I have hardware acceleration disabled in OMXplayer because it interferes with the ability to change playback speed on YouTube. I still get smooth playback of MPEG-2 HD streams from TVheadend on a RPi 3 in LibreELEC 9, regardless of whether the factory MPEG-2 license key is installed. But I run the TVHeadend server on another machine, which could make a difference.

I am running LibreElec 9.0 on a 3B+ using the unofficial SiliconDust PVR software with SiliconDust Quatro tuners and not having any frame skipping issues.

Its probably worth pointing out that the SiliconDust PVR client does not have a companion server component which runs on the local network (except what is in the tuner - that does not support PSIP, multicast, or transcoding.) There are pros and cons to this arrangement, but suffice it to say that your CPU load will be lower compared to those who are running a PVR service on same machine as the client.

I get the same thing, but on a Pi 2 once I upgraded to 9.0.0. Happens while playing Mpeg2-TS via TVHeadEnd PVR Plugin

If you can find a build of TVheadend for your router or NAS device, it would be preferable to use that instead of running the server on your media player. (And since the MPEG-2 patent expired, I also think LibreELEC should include the patched GPU firmware that activates hardware acceleration automatically.)

Update: I was able to reproduce this issue on the old 2-core Play 1. When I move the mouse rapidly, CPU usage nearly doubles. If I continue this for a while, it starts dropping frames and the audio loses sync. After about 10 - 20 seconds, CPU usage returns to normal but sometimes the audio remains silent until the channel is changed. It seems like the video player is running at a lower priority than it should - and if something pushes the CPU to 100%, sometimes it never recovers.

Code
    WARNING: CRenderManager::WaitForBuffer - timeout waiting for buffer
    WARNING: Previous line repeats 16 times.
    WARNING: ActiveAE - large audio sync error: -1218.382589
    WARNING: ActiveAE - large audio sync error: -1216.828077
    WARNING: ActiveAE - large audio sync error: -1217.117625
    WARNING: ActiveAE - large audio sync error: -1209.260177

(repeats)

Was taking some screenshots through the CLI in RPi and just discovered the same command is not working on Play v1

# kodi-send --action=Takescreenshot

I checked in guisettings.xml to verify the path had not changed and its still the default

Code
    <setting id="debug.screenshotpath" default="true">/storage/screenshots/

I also found that it works normally in the remote Web interface (Chorus2)