(Implemented) Pi-Hole

• For those that want to run docker manually from SSH CLI in its native form, it works fine, I've been using it a month.

Happy to post how when I get home, it's pretty simple.

• While alternatives are being discussed here, I wanted to mention that you can also run adblock on many home routers by replacing the factory firmware with OpenWRT and then installing the adblock package:

OpenWrt Project: Supported devices

OpenWrt Project: Ad blocking

Gargoyle Router Management Utility

This blocking method is perhaps not as feature rich and user friendly as PiHole or AdGuard with the nice GUI — but it does not require extra hardware and it will block the most common privacy violating trackers (DoubleClick, Google Analytics, etc.) What matters most is the quality of the block list; everything else is a matter of preference.

There is also an app called GA checker for Kodi which scans your addons for obfuscated code and references to Google Analytics.

http://redirect.superrepo.org/v7/addons/plug…cker-1.1.6a.zip

• Apologies, super docker noob here, just followed blindly these steps on x86 (chrome box /w LE 9.0.2) and it worked great....until the reboot..

pi-hole doesn't seem to be running, I can't connect to the admin page docker says the container is up and running when running docker container ls command.

I've scrapped docker, reinstalled and followed the exact same steps that got it running the first time but it's behaving like after the 1st restart.

I don't know where to and how to look and troubleshoot, any help appreciated and sorry for the little added value on my end :/

UPDATE:

Stopping and removing the container then wiping the pihole folder in .config did the trick, I can get it up again over a fresh install; Not too sure how to troubleshoot surviving on restart....

Edited 2 times, last by DiNerve: wrong LE version number (September 1, 2019 at 8:43 PM).

• Hello,

i tried this script but i am not able to have the web interface

Here you can find my logs:

And also i don't know why i have this "DNS resolution is not available" as well.
    Could you please me and let me know what i am missing?
    i am a noobs in Docker.

Thanks in advance.

Configuration:

Rpi 3B+, LibreElec 9.1.501

• I just try to install docker or pi-hole on my LE 9.1.501 on RPi3B+ but installation failed.

in log I found this:

2019-11-21 22:34:41.207 T:1462637440 NOTICE: DecodeJpeg: unable to decode fanart.jpg 960x540

2019-11-21 22:34:52.799 T:1462637440 ERROR: CCurlFile::Open failed with code 404 for service.system.docker-9.1.901.126.zip:

2019-11-21 22:34:52.800 T:1462637440 ERROR: CAddonInstallJob[service.system.docker]: failed to download special://home/addons/packages/service.system.docker-9.1.901.126.zip

2019-11-21 22:34:52.812 T:1462637440 ERROR: CAddonInstallJob[docker.linuxserver.pi-hole]: failed to install dependency service.system.docker

• Hi Guys,

I tried installing pihole on the Raspberry PI, which is running libreelec. This is what I did:

1. SSH to Rpi

2. Ran:

docker run -d --name pihole --cap-add NET_ADMIN -p 53:53/tcp -p 53:53/udp -p 80:80 -e DNS1=127.0.0.1 -e DNS2=1.1.1.1 -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime -v /storage/.config/pihole/:/etc/pihole -v /storage/.config/pihole/dnsmasq.d/:/etc/dnsmasq.d -v /storage/.config/pihole/html/:/var/www/html/html/ -h $(cat /etc/hostname) -e ServerIP=$(ip route get 127.0.0.1 | awk '{ print $NF; exit }') -e WEBPASSWORD=xxxx123 --restart=unless-stopped pihole/pihole:latest

3. Ran 'docker ps':

Code
    CONTAINER ID        IMAGE                  COMMAND                  CREATED             STATUS                    PORTS                                                                         NAMES
    8d03253c7d62        pihole/pihole:latest   "/s6-init"               45 seconds ago      Up 43 seconds (heal.thy)   0.0.0.0:53->53/tcp, 0.0.0.0:80->80/tcp, 0.0.0.0:53->53/udp, 67/udp, 443/tcp   pihole

The problem is that when I try to access the admin interface, I get "Connection Refused".

Any ideas how to solve it?

• Hi Iridium,

Thank you for replying so quickly :)

OK it's weird. 2 days later I tried the same script and it works now :S

Maybe it was a network issue? Anyways, tried the command and got:

Code
    MyPI:~ # docker logs /pihole |paste
    chown: cannot access '/etc/pihole/dhcp.leases': No such file or directory
    http://ix.io/28XT

Not sure if the 'chown' error is a problem or not?

• I had pi-hole working on OSMC but decided to give Libreleec a try. I have another pi-hole running on Debian-buster. I have no experience with Docker.

I didn't see any block lists. I tried copy and past from my other pi-hole via the web-abmin and I got.

Code
    Installation Failure: /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf does not exist!   Please run 'pihole -r', and choose the 'reconfigure' option to fix.

I figured out I could run

docker exec -it eda0f4bcf462 pihole -r

But then after entering the ip address. I got

RTNETLINK answers: Operation not permitted

After doing it again with ipv6 disabled I do to

[i] Preparing to run gravity.sh to refresh hosts...

[i] Running gravity.sh

/etc/.pihole/automated install/basic-install.sh: line 1402: /opt/pihole/gravity.sh: No such file or directory

LibreELEC:~ #

• Is available I have already found

/storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/service.system.docker/docker/overlay2/Docker_Container/diff/var/

despite everything, thank you for trying to help