LibreELEC (Leia) 9.2 ALPHA1 with Raspberry Pi 4B Support

• Issues: I can select resolutions of 4096x2160p @ 30, 29.97, 25, 23.98 and 3840x2160p @ 30, 29.97, 25, 23.98 --- but not at 60fps

Also the same content that used to be 4K HDR under the Rock64 build won't activate HDR on the RPI4.

Add hdmi_enable_4k=1 to config.txt and you should see the 4kp60 modes.

(4kp60 requires higher clock frequencies and scrambling so isn't enabled by default).

HDR isn't currently supported but should come soon.

• I had the same issue. For me it helps to use the other HDMI port. I do not know if its a hardware or software related problem.

Yes - use HDMI0 - it is more capable (larger fifos means it can be run with lower clocks).

HDMI1 is largely untested with kodi.

• I'm on a Pi 4 and when I try to connect to wifi with the correct password (wpa2, 5ghz) half of the time it gives a Network Error Input/Output Error, and the other half of the time the Pi suddenly reboots without warning.

(I don't see a Pi section to report this. My apologies if this is the wrong location.)

• I'm on a Pi 4 and when I try to connect to wifi with the correct password (wpa2, 5ghz) half of the time it gives a Network Error Input/Output Error, and the other half of the time the Pi suddenly reboots without warning.

(I don't see a Pi section to report this. My apologies if this is the wrong location.)

Are you sure your system is rebooting, and that Kodi isn't crashing? If your system is actually rebooting then this might suggest a power related issue (or faulty hardware).

Can you see if you have a crash log in /storage/.kodi/temp/kodi_crash.log (and upload it to a pastebin site if you do). Thanks.

• Are you sure your system is rebooting, and that Kodi isn't crashing? If your system is actually rebooting then this might suggest a power related issue (or faulty hardware).

Can you see if you have a crash log in /storage/.kodi/temp/kodi_crash.log (and upload it to a pastebin site if you do). Thanks.

I formatted the sd card to verify it wasn't a corrupt copy. Same problem. (I haven't verified the .img.gz I downloaded has the right md5/crc. I don't see where that's listed making it hard to check.)

Pastebin as requested:

External Content pastebin.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

edit: Also, I'm using a new 3a power plug.

Edited 2 times, last by angelbunny (July 3, 2019 at 9:26 AM).

• Hi Milhouse,

Rpi4 is still idling at 70c+

I have uploaded the log files from Libreelec here: http://ix.io/1mut

Hope this feedback helps.

Some further feedback on idle temps,

RPI4 2GB idling in official case: 70c (room temp 20c)

RPI4 2GB idling with top half of official case removed: 61c (room temp 20c)

RPI4 2GB idling with top half of official case removed and new firmware applied: 58c (room temp 20c)

I installed the new firmware from here: Raspberry Pi 4 temperature - Page 4 - Raspberry Pi Forums

Going forwards, I plan to remove the official case and instead use a Pibow Coupe case with passive heatsink installed. Ninja Pibow Coupé 4 (Raspberry Pi 4 only) – Pimoroni

Hope this feedback helps.

• Quick one, when on the menus moving about, there seems to be alot of screen tearing, is this just down to it being early days? Im displaying on a Samsung NU7020 at 3840 x 2160 and just wondered what it was.

Other than that seems great so far!

Thanks

• I have raspberry pi 4b 1gb and with this build it sucks freezes every time woth original charger. very hot board i think I will sell it and buy a different one!

• Some further feedback on idle temps,

RPI4 2GB idling in official case: 70c (room temp 20c)

RPI4 2GB idling with top half of official case removed: 61c (room temp 20c)

RPI4 2GB idling with top half of official case removed and new firmware applied: 58c (room temp 20c)

Interesting feedback.

The new firmware seems to reduce power consumption of USB controller. 3C is better than nothing but the idle temps are still too high for my liking.

I think the official case is unfit for purpose - they did not consider the higher temps of Pi4. 70C idle temp is not acceptable. What seems crazy to me is that the official case is part of the £115 'desktop' bundle... a use case scenario where it will definitely not be idle. I expect it will throttle immediately from light browsing.

• For further comparison, here are some other Libreelec client devices (except for the s905x running CoreIec) I have in the same room and their idle temps:

Amlogic s905x unbranded chinese import in sealed case (running Coreelec 9.0.3): 46c

Rpi2 in pibow coupe case with passive heatsink: 46.5c

Rpi3B in pibow coupe case with passive heatsink: 47c

Rock64 in Canakit RPi2 case with some of the port holes modified so that the Rock64 board fits: 59c

• Interesting feedback.

The new firmware seems to reduce power consumption of USB controller. 3C is better than nothing but the idle temps are still too high for my liking.

I think the official case is unfit for purpose - they did not consider the higher temps of Pi4. 70C idle temp is not acceptable. What seems crazy to me is that the official case is part of the £115 'desktop' bundle... a use case scenario where it will definitely not be idle. I expect it will throttle immediately from light browsing.

I've got mine in the Pimoroni Coupe 4 case (so open top) and idling on the System Info hardware screen mines running at 74C and thats with the new firmware (VL805 FW version: 000137a8) applied.

• Just tried booting 9.1.001 but it's not going well for me. Kodi starts up, but crashes right after it's detected the CEC. Sometime it shows the wizard, sometimes it already hangs before then. I've tried multiple usb-c power supplies, multiple cables, and multiple SD cards.

On a hunch I tried the other HDMI port today, and it's booting into kodi properly now. In case it's useful to anyone I'm using the port closest to the power supply port.

• Official Post

On the heat issue. My RPi4 temperature were stable (No case - open to the air) at around 60 degrees playing x265, slightly higher for x264 and a little bit more for music. I'm sure a heat sink will drop this by 5 - 10 degrees.

I just added a small USB powered 5V 4cm fan and the temps dropped to around 40 degrees.

I'm sure a third party will soon come up with a GPIO cooling solution so the fan is only one once it get too hot. Maybe even there will be a RPi4B++ with an on board fan controller - but don't hold your breath.

• Quick one, when on the menus moving about, there seems to be alot of screen tearing, is this just down to it being early days? Im displaying on a Samsung NU7020 at 3840 x 2160 and just wondered what it was.

Yes tearing is a known issue. It is significantly reduced with the testing firmware (that fixes the stutter with some video files).

It's a software issue - it will be fixed in a later update.

• I'm sure a third party will soon come up with a GPIO cooling solution so the fan is only one once it get too hot. Maybe even there will be a RPi4B++ with an on board fan controller - but don't hold your breath.

Solution is there already both for just ON and OFF and even for speed control PWM...used both...both work fine on Rpi2 so should work on Rpi4 too..

• I formatted the sd card to verify it wasn't a corrupt copy. Same problem. (I haven't verified the .img.gz I downloaded has the right md5/crc. I don't see where that's listed making it hard to check.)

Pastebin as requested:

External Content pastebin.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

edit: Also, I'm using a new 3a power plug.

The crash you listed is one I've seen once, but haven't been able to reproduce so far which has made tracking it down difficult (it's somewhere in Kodi). It's odd you are getting this crash so often.

I'm (fairly) sure if you keep trying you should be able to connect to your network. Not ideal I know, but this situation does seem a little unusual (based on local testing and lack of similar feedback so far).

• The crash you listed is one I've seen once, but haven't been able to reproduce so far which has made tracking it down difficult (it's somewhere in Kodi). It's odd you are getting this crash so often.

I'm (fairly) sure if you keep trying you should be able to connect to your network. Not ideal I know, but this situation does seem a little unusual (based on local testing and lack of similar feedback so far).

On my end it is easily reproducible. It only crashes when trying to connect to the network. And no, I can not connect to the network, even when it does not crash. This problem is nonexistent in Raspbian, implying it is a software issue.

Does LibreELEC do vnc? I can privately give you ssh, if you want to explore and reproduce the issue yourself. Unfortunately I do not have a second Pi or sd card to absolutely verify this is a software issue.

• Yes tearing is a known issue. It is significantly reduced with the testing firmware (that fixes the stutter with some video files).

It's a software issue - it will be fixed in a later update.

Cheers for that, I assumed it was but good to know, appreciate all the effort that goes into making these releases!