LibreELEC (Leia) 9.2 ALPHA1 with Raspberry Pi 4B Support

• Anyway - the new Raspi has potential to solve one of my problems. My TV has one 4K HDMI input, but my reciever is 1080P only. Unfortunatly the TV will only send stereo back down the ARC if the source is external. So I need a way of getting passthrough audio to the reciever.

Will it be possible to use the second HDMI to output the audio (with or without 1080P or lower video) while sending the full 4K video to the TV on the other HDMI?

I think this is possible from a hardware perspective.

We'll need a way for kodi to choose a different hdmi port for the audio

(possibly a different Sink, or maybe just a config option).

Don't hold your breath - there are more important things to support first,

but it's something I'll bear in mind.

• Same issue here. I have a 2GB RPi4 with official case, PSU and HDMI cable. Clean install, room temperature is 20c and the Rpi4 idles at 70c and goes up to 75c during video playback.

I'm not sure about the high temperature, this is an uncased 4GB RPi4 (no heatsink) with 9.1.001 while idle at the Home menu for 7 hours:

2nTO5bx.png

Have you installed any add-ons? Is this a clean installation or upgrade from RPi3 - try a "clean" /storage/.kodi without any third party add-ons and see if you still have issues (maybe an add-on has gone nuts and is spinning on the CPU).

Does the GUI look washed out or is it just videos? Presumably the washed out videos are HDR videos? As previously stated, there is currently no HDR support until this is baked into the Linux kernel, probably 5.2 or 5.3 so I'd expect the HDR metadata to be ignored. Can you upload a small sample video (or link to a sample video) that demonstrates the problem?

• Same issue here. I have a 2GB RPi4 with official case, PSU and HDMI cable. Clean install, room temperature is 20c and the Rpi4 idles at 70c and goes up to 75c during video playback.

While idle at the Kodi "Home" menu (presumably you are using the stock Estuary skin?), can you run the following command in ssh (make the ssh window quite wide/high - at least 186 columns, and 40+ lines):

Code
    bcmstat.sh -ZCxpyd1

Leave it running for a short while (20-30 seconds) then take a printscreen of the ssh window and upload it to imgur.com (then post the link). With this we can see if something is hammering on the CPU core(s) and driving up the temperature abnormally. Thanks.

• Anyone else having weird HDMI CEC issues with the RPi 4? I couldn't control anything earlier until I rebooted it and now every time I switch the TV off it comes back on again a few seconds later 🙃

I've got a mini HDMI adapter ATM but getting a cable tomorrow so if that doesn't solve it I'll grab some logs.

• I have this same problem using my TBS5520se (LibreElec/CoreElec) and a lot of devices: Mecool k1 plus/K2 pro/k3 pro/GT-media GTC and Raspberry pi 3). I did a lot of logs using UART port plugged device and unplugged (Mecool). When plugged, stuck logo... sometimes appear fronted, but always I see device plugged after system restart (lsusb, dmesg, but never dmesg | grep fronted). Now, my Ubuntu 18.04 don't recognize the fronted, I did this steps again, but no luck with tvheadend (empty tv adapters/fronted): TBSDTV Community Forum • View topic - Ubuntu 18.04 TBS 6285 driver install fails at 'make'

No problem using TBS 5925 and Mecool/GT-Media or raspberry. Ubuntu I have problems too with list fronted/tv adapters.

Please help us crazycat afl1

Maybe a complete UART log for try to solve this problems... To help, I have UART log for Mecool K1 Plus (tv box/no tuner), K2 pro (s905) and K3 pro (s912)

Edited once, last by frankviana (June 26, 2019 at 12:04 AM).

• Another device with usb 3.x host controller and buggy usb 2.0 backward compatibility (or linux usb host driver bugs in modern kernels)

You can help me in this situation. crazycat  afl1

Which one should I choose to work perfectly with TBS5520SE

Odroid N2 + TBS5520SE

Raspberry pi 4 + TBS5520SE

Which one will work best with the TBS5520SE?

with a sole purpose to watch tv live.

I like a quick interface. I am open to suggestions.

Thank you.

• While idle at the Kodi "Home" menu (presumably you are using the stock Estuary skin?), can you run the following command in ssh (make the ssh window quite wide/high - at least 186 columns, and 40+ lines):

Code
    bcmstat.sh -ZCxpyd1

Leave it running for a short while (20-30 seconds) then take a printscreen of the ssh window and upload it to imgur.com (then post the link). With this we can see if something is hammering on the CPU core(s) and driving up the temperature abnormally. Thanks.

Hi,

same problem with a 4gb rpi4. The RPi is idling at 70C, goes up to 80 during 4k playback. Addons installed: Artwortk Beef, Backup.

this screenshoot is taken from a clean install.

I wonder why my Core and H264 is always running at 600/500Mhz.

• this screenshoot is taken from a clean install.

Is the screenshot taken at a time when your system is "idle"? If so, isn't it showing a temperature of 60C-61C? Where are you seeing 70C? Is it only after you install the addons that you start to see temps of around 70C?

And why is one of your CPU cores spiking to 100% every 3-4 seconds on a "clean" install - that's not what I'd call an "idle" system (in my screenshot, CPU load was consistently low on 3 cores, with 1 core servicing kodi.bin at about 30%). From your screenshot, it appears that your system is hammering the SD card almost constantly writing large amounts of data (to the SD card) - try disabling Backup and Artwork Beef and see if the "iowt" column goes down to 0.00.

Sorry, just a bit confused about your "idle" status and what the screenshot is telling me, and the lack of 70C temps.

• hi,

the screenshot was taken from a clean install i did this morning with idling on the homescreen. No addons installed. i only did the initial configuration, i.e. wlan, ssh samba on. Flirc usb on usb 2.0 port. I have no idea why its writing constantly on the sd card.

the 70-80 degrees i have was on another install with artworkbeef and backup addon enabled.

• While idle at the Kodi "Home" menu (presumably you are using the stock Estuary skin?), can you run the following command in ssh (make the ssh window quite wide/high - at least 186 columns, and 40+ lines):

Code
    bcmstat.sh -ZCxpyd1

Hi Milhouse,

Everything is stock, including skin, I don't use any add-ons other than those already installed in Libreelec.

Here are the results of the test at idle: https://imgur.com/a/8xfplsm

Hope this feedback helps.

Thanks for all your work and support on this and all other rpi builds.

• Also have an issue with video playback on Rpi4 with 2GB RAM. Clean build, stock skin, no add-ons other than default.

I can play H264 and HEVC content of various types, however, I only get smooth playback if I only allow it to play at 60HZ, if I allow kodi to switch the TV to 24p I get visible frame skipping and judder during scene panning.

I have tried with and without whitelist and the issues persists.

I have a 6 year old Samsung 1080p TV and have tried various other devices (Raspberry PIs, Rock64, Amlogic S905x) running kodi leia and 23.976 content playback is smooth.

• documentation/hdmi-config.md at master · raspberrypi/documentation · GitHub

In /flash/config.txt, add the following to enable 4Kp60 support:

Code
    hdmi_enable_4k=1

HDR metadata should be ignored for now, so if your display looks washed out try toggling Settings > System > Display > Use limited colour rage (16-235).

Why would 0-255 or 16-235 be an issue for Rec 2020 HDR10 output flagged as Rec 709 SDR?

Wouldn't you be better forcing your TV into Rec2020 and HDR10 mode? (My Sony lets you do this in its video settings)

This won't help cope with the different Rec 709 vs Rec 2020 RGB<->YCrCb matrix (so if any RGB processing takes place it will be a bit out), but will use the required EOTF for HDR10 (i.e. use the right dynamic range) and will switch to Rec 2020 primaries (so that the colours are in the correct gamut) assuming the Pi 4B LibreElec is just treating HDR Rec 2020 stuff as if it is Rec 709 SDR (and not trying to do any gamut or EOTF conversion)

Or are you saying that the UHD HDR 16-235 content is flagged 0-255 permanently?

• Hi Milhouse,

Everything is stock, including skin, I don't use any add-ons other than those already installed in Libreelec.

Here are the results of the test at idle: https://imgur.com/a/8xfplsm

Are you using hdmi_enable_4k=1 in config.txt? This enables 4Kp60 but (currently) increases clocks/voltages which leads to higher temperatures.

Quote from popcornmix

The reason that is optional is it increases clocks/voltages which means higher temps. We did lower these just before LE image was made but a. Issue with WiFi meant we reverted it. The latest rpi-update does lower this again (with a fix for WiFi.).

Hopefully the next LibreELEC 9.2 alpha update (9.1.002) will have the updated firmware and thus lower temperatures with hdmi_enable_4k=1.

Have you limited your GUI size to 1080p as this will give better performance (and thus potentially lower idle temperatures) than running the Kodi GUI at 4Kp30 or 4Kp60 (Settings > System > Display > Limit GUI Size - needs settings level set to "Expert").

Can you upload your kodi.log from the RPi4 using the "upload kodi log" option in the LibreELEC Settings addon and post the link?

• Are you using hdmi_enable_4k=1 in config.txt? This enables 4Kp60 but (currently) increases clocks/voltages which leads to higher temperatures.

Hopefully the next LibreELEC 9.2 alpha update (9.1.002) will have the updated firmware and thus lower temperatures with hdmi_enable_4k=1.

Have you limited your GUI size to 1080p as this will give better performance (and thus potentially lower idle temperatures) than running the Kodi GUI at 4Kp30 or 4Kp60 (Settings > System > Display > Limit GUI Size - needs settings level set to "Expert").

Can you upload your kodi.log from the RPi4 using the "upload kodi log" option in the LibreELEC Settings addon and post the link?

Hi Milhouse,

I don't have a 4K TV.

I have a 6 year old Samsung 1080p TV. So I have not altered config.txt at all.

The only non-standard element of my setup, is that my kodi database is stored on a central mariadb server.

I can't post a log file at the moment as I am not at home.

• Hello,

Ive used the noobs rpi4 package. Noobs installed it

It tries to boot but fails during logo and reboots

I have official psu 4gb rpi

Using also the img to try to boot/reinstall via a rpi3b

• Hi there,

currently I'm using my self-build Ambilight via SPI on the RPi3.

Is it already possible to use Hyperion and the SPI output on the RPi4 by adding

Code
    dtparam=spi=on

to the config.txt? Does anyone know this or is it try and error for me?

Thanks a lot for your work! Really appreciate it!

• I think this is possible from a hardware perspective.

We'll need a way for kodi to choose a different hdmi port for the audio

(possibly a different Sink, or maybe just a config option).

Don't hold your breath - there are more important things to support first,

but it's something I'll bear in mind.

Sounds good. I fully understand that there are many other things to work on, so I don't expect a quick solution. In fact I dont' expect a solution at all - but if it arrives, it'll be great. Thanks.