Nightly images for A64, H3, H5, H6 and R40 boards

• Please test this one: LibreELEC-H6.arm-9.80-devel-20200416213013-837464c-orangepi-lite2.img.gz

It has panfrost driver updated a bit which should hopefully solve the issue you have.

Unfortunately, even this version is not better, it is not possible to use.

Ok, panfrost patch which caused instability on H6 was removed. Next nightly should work well again on H6 boards.

You're right, version LibreELEC-H6.arm-9.80-devel-20200416225354-2c8900c-orangepi-lite2.img is usable, the problem is gone.

• Actually, ARM driver run at highest speed all the time. About a week ago I also increased lima frequency for smoother GUI experience.

Anyway, I doubt lima is at fault here. You know that many packages got updated from the time GPU driver switch happened, including Kodi. You can still build image with ARM driver although kernel driver might need update. Note that during video playback GPU normally doesn't do much, if anything. You can also run perf top to see which function takes most of CPU time.

chewitt lima will support DVFS with 5.8 and at least H3 has DVFS table already merged.

in the opi pc plus the increase in frequency has been an improvement when it comes to playing movies, now it looks much more fluid.

I tell you a small problem that I do not know why, but when starting a video about minute 1-3 the image usually remains black for a couple of seconds, and it plays again without any more problems.

• Actually, ARM driver run at highest speed all the time. About a week ago I also increased lima frequency for smoother GUI experience.

Anyway, I doubt lima is at fault here. You know that many packages got updated from the time GPU driver switch happened, including Kodi. You can still build image with ARM driver although kernel driver might need update. Note that during video playback GPU normally doesn't do much, if anything. You can also run perf top to see which function takes most of CPU time.

chewitt lima will support DVFS with 5.8 and at least H3 has DVFS table already merged.

For the time being I have reverted to nightly-20200201-a869d6c build where CPU usage is 3% at idle and close to 60% during video playback.

I understand that things other than the GPU driver changed so if anyone else is bothered by this I will try to build the current code with the ARM driver to see if that really is the issue.

UPDATE: I tried to build but compiling the driver failed. As you said, it probably needs to patched for kernel 5.6 and that is over my head.

Edited once, last by tekdoc (April 18, 2020 at 8:12 PM).

• Hi Jernej!

I have installed the latest nightly update today - 2020/04/20 and it has been said that my PVR Client is not supported by this version, so it has been turned off.

Luckily I had an older update file 2020/04/10 and I have updated again using this older version then done the PVR Update in Kodi Add-on menu and it has been turned on finally.

So, what could I do to make it work with the latest version? Should I compile it in Linux manually?

P.S. And where can I get the previous update file before 2020/04/20? If I remember correctly it was 2020/04/19. Thanks!

Edited 2 times, last by levitsky86 (April 21, 2020 at 10:17 AM).

• I have installed the latest nightly update today - 2020/04/20 and it has been said that my PVR Client is not supported by this version, so it has been turned off.

I can confirm that. The same problem is with the version "LibreELEC-H6.arm-9.80-devel-20200421091705-9850f95-orangepi- *".

The "PVR IPTV Simple Client" add-on cannot be installed.

Log: kodi.binary.instance.pvr version 6.1.0 could not be satisfied.

• Hi jernej

Do you have any list of steps how to run Armbian on H6 with hw acceleration?

I mean, something like

1. Take vanilla kernel and apply LibreELEC patches

2. Build and install kernel

3. Take KODI source and apply LibreELEC patches

4. Build and install Kodi

5. Same for some other application

• Do you have any list of steps how to run Armbian on H6 with hw acceleration?

No, but your list is almost ok. If you pick Kodi master (very latest), you don't need any additional Kodi patch. However, you need patched ffmpeg and build with additional options.

Note that good performance is achievable only in configuration used by LibreELEC:

1. Kodi master - DRMPRIME codec/renderer gets constant fixes and improvements, so using latest, development version is important

2. No window manager, e.g. X11 - for best possible performance, DRM features are used directly. I don't think that's possible under X11, I never tried. Wayland may work now or in the future, I don't know current state.

3. CMA size must be set sufficiently high - for 4K 8-bit around 256 MiB and for 4K 10-bit 384 MiB - that are just guesstimates, which seems to work fine with LE

4. Set gui size max to 1080p in config (check Kodi config in Allwinner project). While T720 is in theory capable of 4K, there is no reason for GUI to be that big. 4K movie on 4K TV will still be rendered without scaling, just any GUI or overlays (subtitle) will be upscaled.

Point 1 also brings additional limitations - only Python3 addons will work and it might be unstable from time to time.

• Let me be judge of that :) Anyway, iptv simple client is binary addon, so nothing python related. Kodi is updated in master from time to time, so binary addons stop working until they are updated. Nightly images don't have any guarantee about stability. That's why we have stable releases, for Allwinner images that will be LibreELEC 10 (after Kodi 19 is released, no ETA whatsoever).

• Your efforts are useless if you can't even install pvr simple iptv client

I'm currently watching TV with my daughter, I guess from your point of view that's surely useless too.

And you serm to like watching IPTV, also useless for jernej, me and a couple of billion other humans.

Please let people do their hobbies and dont ask them to do free work for you.

I hope you got my point and don't feel offended.

• Thanks jernej

So, I should pick latest Armbian sources and apply LibreELEC.tv/projects/Allwinner/patches/linux at master · LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

About ffmpeg - I can assume that I should use LibreELEC.tv/packages/multimedia/ffmpeg/patches at master · LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

Am I correct?

• Hi there nice build . im using on my orange pi pc with last build and freezing after some time playing videos also using wifi adaptor tp link TL-wn725n have very poor performance! Im also facing this issue on welcome screen and cant get out of here. Any tip?W9pvhZV2Ehpzl-jmSV5yMg1tiyZi_3JgLIM4yF5cBAaLVLsdAJPXrviy7ZIykfHNlIpernEgDHxG0Danya3cJPboHf2dTIf-uVyKSmpXjia0HVoSphmrpUhxgZOSKKSo__kFZpIMVUCnmuYsstk__vmWUGkj-spYpS4nzqmnXqkCSAQvoi5-sfUJWjHsJGZABuaK3YinGhPLRZEWv6HNlQm36BHQVK84Dz_p0yG2Ty8X883xYnSGgLQu8g8nZrasBu1EpYMpJTK-HVuq1rGqQ1uUql9-_461_Nd7VnFWEMoiQTDSaUXwZJncJE-awY0XW1Nc0H1Dc1sS88aFZ_QVG6wyInkzvZZYTyGUF4TGnDGOJ_Lue6ItgSCQQyoW2A6yqhefh2a5hXf_xnP8EM4nvdi1rbEjwuyxhhLAVFVUyOnVeC28aMterfmf9ThNPpZYsj1D0Tttnnw5NXzVNuu6xF3Snh1P_S6eEUuAS8Rv655C7ggU7mg4jfvKAwtqELxkUJE-HljGN0L64VTQPrbqByUzID-42QlRQPja3LtV5lre-xZsoqX6_M7SZ6Zh9Mx_p3eh82dspXv3uimOgPKRg1vGoVgjx047sfOfgxRFlCrOR5lSiLgSKvj07lXxZJd4ghpuL5ZTR0UVtC78qDUaH5nu8ZXP_7_1C1eUy4S3KFSpyX--wtFth3LsI_yZ0Gc=w1579-h889-no

• Maybe anyone wise answer. In libreelec there's a package called linux-driver-addons/dvb.

Code
    https://github.com/LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv/tree/master/packages/linux-driver-addons/dvb

There are different DVB drivers in it. So the auestion is How can i choose what driver to use for my dvb device?