SD card file system corrupt issue

• I've had this issue before. I am able to get LE back up and running on my RPI 2 using a new SD card, I was also able to transfer my files over using the file manager once I setup the new card.

The issue I'm having and it's driving me crazy, and not that I need the old SD card, but I'm determined to get it back working, LOL, I've tried everything to format the corrupted SD card, but no luck, I've done a check disk and no issues were found. I've tried numerous programs to format the card and failed every time, I've even tried in the Windows command prompt and no luck. Anyone have any other suggestions. Like I said it's simply a challenge now, LOL It is a Sandisk 8GB Micro SD card,

I've used the below apps

SD Card format

Windows format

Ease US

All above to no luck

I'll take any suggestion, Also I can delete the files from the SD card from one partition, but once I close out and check again files are back there. I don't need to save anything on the card simply want to format it. I even tried putting it in my camera and format from there and no such luck. =O:(:(

Don

• I have fixed a corrupted SD card in the pass doing it this way.

This was on windows 10.

Download latest SD card formatter 5.0.1

Open command prompt with admin privileges.

Type diskpart

The type list disk

Then type select disk * (replacing * with the number of your SD card)

Then type clean

Wait a few seconds until it's finished

Type exit

Type exit again to exit command prompt.

Now safely remove you SD card.

Re insert the SD card and open SD formatter.

Select overwrite erase and let it do its thing.

It should be good now.

I spent ages trying to fix a corrupted SD card and this was the only method that worked.

Hope it works for you too

• I don't understand why diskpart needs using either.

But sd formatter wouldnt do the job on the corrupt SD card, but it did after running the clean command from diskpart.

I've also had a usb stick go corrupt once that no software would let me format the usb stick.

But the same method above worked for that aswell but instead of using SD formatter after diskpart I used hp usb tool on the usb stick.

I'm just sharing what's worked for me in the past when I've been stuck and most software's fail to format.

• Mysterious little b*stards these SD cards... ;)

I had an old(ish) 16GB Sandisk Class 10 card that got corrupted in an RPi2 and totally refused to be re-formatted regardless of tools or oparating systems used until:

Under Win10 I repartitioned the card in 2 partitions and formatted as one NTFS and one FAT32.

Moved card to my Ubuntu and deleted partitions and re-created one 16GB FAT32 (if i remember it correctly) and to my big surprise: the card works again... Not a clue witch step solved it...

• Thanks guys, I will check all these out, most I had already done but I will try the sequence that Rob mentioned and report back. I'm away for a few days but will give it a go when I get back. Keep the suggestions coming just in case, LOL

I will also see what Sandisk tells be for the heck of it.

Don

Edited once, last by DJB628 (May 13, 2019 at 11:48 AM).

• Called my brother at home this morning and had him try this and same issue format failed. See pic attached that he sent me. I guess I'll deal with this when I get back. I also had him send me the debug log, not sure if it'll say anything, but here it is

• Official Post

The tool should do:

1) an intense (!) test by reading / writing different patterns (surrounding bits can change the behavior of a bad bit)

2) create a list of bad blocks

3) format the medium by leaving out all identified bad blocks

The tool I mentioned above can do this, and maybe you'll find free Windows tools with the same functionality.

• ... The tool I mentioned above can do this, and maybe you'll find free Windows tools with the same functionality.

No offence but "Minitool Partition Wizard Free" is a free (for home/personal use) tool... ;)

Edited once, last by Jocke.Sve: Spelling.... (May 14, 2019 at 6:34 AM).