Trash-talk vol 2

• I'm torn because I care about both, but as an outsider and an amlogic user, I see that there are things that don't work in libreelec but do in coreelec. I'm currently using libreelec but planning to switch to coreelec due to the above, however, reading these messages, I'm not sure it's the right thing to do.

We/I don't dispute that CoreELEC is likely a better option right now for Amlogic users, so don't feel bad if you want to switch, we won't hold it against you! :)

The simple fact is that a while ago we (LibreELEC) came to the conclusion/realisation that Amlogic on a largely unmaintained and end-of-life 3.14.y vendor kernel had no long-term future without hacks (kernel, Kodi and numerous other packages) so we opted to put Amlogic 3.14 on ice/life support while focusing development effort on mainline Amlogic support which is only now - finally - coming to fruition. You'll be back, trust me... ;)

• I am happy to say I use both LE and CE, and am most grateful to both sets of developers regardless any back story.

My only wish is that discussion of these animosities would be kept where they belong (on both forums) === in the bin!

• as a user I appreciate all your efforts. always the development of competition is born if it is done honestly. Without libreelec would not be coreelec. Why write coreelec users to write their own forum where they will write blank articles. In the end all opensouce

• as a user I appreciate all your efforts. always the development of competition is born if it is done honestly. Without libreelec would not be coreelec. Why write coreelec users to write their own forum where they will write blank articles. In the end all opensouce

Thanks. Just to clear up one misunderstanding, there is no competition as far as we are concerned - we (LibreELEC) have no interest in what CoreELEC do because it's a developmental dead-end. We only wish they would abide by the GPL by respecting existing LibreELEC copyright, and that they stopped attacking/baiting LibreELEC and it's members.

• I am a dumb ex-LibreELEC user, who migrated to CoreELEC because of the impression that LibreELEC was kicking us people with these "cheap Chinese boxes" to the curb, whereas the CoreELEC folks welcomed us to their fold. I started several years ago, with OpenELEC Android port by Kszaq. I followed him to this forum and have used LibreELEC for quite awhile, but got the impression we users of these "cheap Chinese Android boxes" were not welcome anymore.

The comments from your member "chewitt", always irritated me, even though they were never directed toward me. His negative, aggressive, attitude toward others, really got under my skin.

I don't know why, but I still read this forum daily, mostly for post from Bables150. I also read the CoreELEC forum, but not much there. But THEY are starting to take an attitude with anyone that wants to purchase a cheap Chinese box with the new Amlogic S922 SoC. They are implying that if you don't purchase the Odroid N2 (which they received FREE), they won't support those boxes. In my humble opinion, that will be a terrible mistake, same as LibreELEC made.

Today's boxes are getting to the point of not needing LibreELEC OR CoreELEC. The Nvidia Shield can do just about everything these ports can do, except 10 times more. I have already retired some of my OpenELEC, LibreELEC AND CoreELEC cheap Chinese boxes.

This is just my 2 cents.

• but got the impression we users of these "cheap Chinese Android boxes" were not welcome anymore.

Does not matter which OS you use, but it's a known fact that cheap Chinese boxes have questionable, highly variable hardware specs.

There are even fakes which you well know.

Then there is no open sourced code for U-Boot with these cheap Android chinese devices - which can lead to all sorts of issues. HDMI-CEC control being one of them.

With "Reference" hardware - think the VIM's, ODROID's, LePotato RPi etc - developers are dealing with known, common spec hardware where U-boot can also be properly modified. You also get direct contact with the hardware vendors - in English usually.

What all the developers are saying is it's a hell of a lot easier to code for something that is Reference hardware, which will be the same spec no matter what users buy.

Cheap Android devices have basically had a "free ride". And relied on the good will of guys like kszaq and others coding workarounds for them.

Expecting new Chipset spec hardware from cheap Chinese vendors to be fully Linux Kodi supported a few months after release is just fantasy stuff. It's why they only concentrate on specific devices.

No developer want to go out and buy this cheap chinese stuff either when Hardware vendors are getting software support for their devices, basically for free. The Hardware vendors get a great deal IMHO.

W.

• Exactly my point. Time to move on.

• implying that if you don't purchase the Odroid N2 (which they received FREE), they won't support those boxes

Seems you didn't read forum good enough. No one is abandoning those "old" boxes. But from what I read they just works so there is no much development like with N2 which is new device.

• Seems you didn't read forum good enough. No one is abandoning those "old" boxes. But from what I read they just works so there is no much development like with N2 which is new device.

Perhaps I am lacking in reading comprehension. Here is a clip-it of the statement I made earlier that you are quoting " But THEY are starting to take an attitude with anyone that wants to purchase a cheap Chinese box with the new Amlogic S922 SoC. They are implying that if you don't purchase the Odroid N2 (which they received FREE), they won't support those boxes." From my reading on the CoreELEC forum, I got the impression, that they WILL NOT support any of those new CHEAP CHINESE BOXES with the new Amlogic S922 SoC's.

Hopefully, I will be receiving one of the new ** Beelink GT-K (King) Amlogic S922X Quad-core ARM Cortex-A73 and dual-core ARM Cortex-A53 ** boxes, and it should have an UNLOCKED bootloader. However, from my reading, NO one will be supporting that device from either LibreELEC OR CoreELEC.

Please correct me if I am wrong.....

• Ah, you mean cheap boxes with new soc! Frankly it is much easier to supporting something which is physically available to devs. Which in case of N2 is true. Even if devices are mostly the same they are different :) Decision to support something or not is legit from devs perspective.

And yes, they got boxes for free but others did too. And it is nothing wrong with that. If every manufacturer send free devices more be better supported :shy:

• The Khadas VIM's had far better support than any of the cheap chinese boxes simply because they sent samples (eventually). The lack of support from LE for the Khadas VTV board was the primary reason I migrated to CE.

Shoog

1. I'll give you a potted summary: the CoreELEC founders claim they were "thrown out of Team LibreELEC" when in fact they left of their own accord because they couldn't handle their Amlogic contributions being peer-reviewed, and since then they've been sniping at LibreELEC while consuming _everything_ we produce and giving _nothing_ back. They left, it was their choice, and they're full of animosity/hate - there's little we can do about how they feel to be honest, but we certainly won't tolerate their sh*t on our forum.

Just to clarify this, did LE ever pull in any of the commits submitted by CE team members ?

Shoog

• Just to clarify this, did LE ever pull in any of the commits submitted by CE team members ?

Lots of PRs submitted by CE team members have been reviewed and merged, unfortunately nothing have really been submitted since the fork.

adamg88: Pull Requests · LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

rayelec: Pull Requests · LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

afl1: Pull Requests · LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

arthur-liberman: Pull Requests · LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

cdu13a: Pull Requests · LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

• This music will last forever if I replace the batteries... :D:thumbup:

I don't understand this? Was this against me?

To all:

Can I please ask everyone here to remain on topic. I do understand that both parts have their side to say but I would ask to clear the air in either a different topic or in private conversations. I find it deeply disturbing to misuse this topic.