DVD-Playback with Kodi on Libreelec

• I searched a lot and got no solution for my question: "How can I play a DVD with Kodi/Libreelec on my Wetek Play 2 or Raspberry Pi?". I have an external DVD-Player for computer-use, which plays fine with my Linux-Laptop and my Linux-PC. I do not need dvdcss, because I just want to play my own self-burned DVDs (normal video-dvd-format with nav-menu). Dvdcss would be my next question. And I don't want to play any VOB-files, because the solution I want is for women and kids too: insert DVD, chose DVD-Player and play. I read a lot about "you need VLC", but where do I get VLC for my ARM-device?

Any advice?

Spielmops

• I recently tested that on my RPi3B+, running current LibreELEC 8.95 beta, and it worked just fine using an LG USB DVD drive.

Insert DVD, wait until Kodi recognized the disc, then select "Play DVD" to bring up the DVD menu.

I used original DVDs, so libdvdcss was very certainly in play as well.

so long,

Hias

• I have now Libreelec 9 installed and can play not-encrypted DVDs. Where can I get dvdcss?

There's a small issue: the standard-function is "open" the directory, but it should be "play". Is that changeable? I have to use the context-menu.

Another one is: "open" and "open" in the context-menu, where the first is "open directory" and the second "open the drive".

Spielmops

• Obviously it´s hard to differ between DVD and BluRay ;)

what are the specific-DVD-keys?

There are no DVD-keys, because:

BR media will be different - there you need to add a keys DB.

BR = BluRay

A BluRay isn´t a DVD. It´s not even similar beside the fact there´s a movie on it.

But see this please: Blu-ray [LibreELEC.wiki]

Please be aware, that the playback of native BluRay discs is still an experimental feature and not every BluRay will work with that. Some will work, others might not.

• Obviously it´s hard to differ between DVD and BluRay

It'not ! Why do you assume, I have Blueray-Disk and want to play it with a DVD-Player? Because I asked, what a BR is?

I have an external-DVD-Player ! and want to play DVD's ! with it. At first, there was no DVD-Icon within Kodi, it appeared, when I chose a region, why-ever. (On PC it's not necessary). OK, now I can play a DVD, but I can not find specific-DVD-keys, eg. "How do I call the DVD-menu"? Do you know any?

Spielmops

• You should really read what we have already written

but I can not find specific-DVD-keys,

There are no DVD-keys, because:

You don't need specific keys for DVDs as those are only needed for BluRays. As we said that multiple times now, I hope that's somewhat clear now ;)

If you are able to play DVDs you are also able to see the menu at the DVD.

If that's not the case, please get us a logfile.

• At first, there was no DVD-Icon within Kodi, it appeared, when I chose a region, why-ever. (On PC it's not necessary).

That's normal behavior on Linux OS'es. If you get a factory-fresh DVD drive, the region code inside (!) the drive is usually unset. On a Windows PC, the region code of the drive will be set when using the first region encoded DVD. Linux players like VLC have a problem with an unset region of a DVD drive, and don't play DVD's until it's set. So, Kodi was unable to use your DVD drive at first.

• DaVu:

Now I got it. And the former Answer should have said:

"There are no specific DVD-Key, only for Bluerays, because those are different. "

If you are able to play DVDs you are also able to see the menu at the DVD.

Quite difficult, on some Disk's the playback stalls at copyright instead of playing the copyright-message and goto menu. On my Linux-PC I can press the menu-key and everything's fine.

Spielmops

• Quite difficult, on some Disk's the playback stalls at copyright instead of playing the copyright-message and goto menu. On my Linux-PC I can press the menu-key and everything's fine.

You are lucky to be able to play all copyright protected DVD's, with DVD menu or not. I bought a drive, too, but gave it back, because it didn't played all my DVD's. Maybe I'll give it another shot later. That's why I'm interested in this thread.

Generally, DVD support on Linux (including standard Linux PC) is not perfect. DVD-CSS has been decrypted, right, but we still have issues at some DVD menu screens. I think it's a bad DVD-CSS implementation, not an LE problem, which just uses the DVD-CSS library.

Pressing the menu key is a trick to side-track DVD-CSS bugs. Yes, we should have this option on LE, too.

• Hi there,

Is there any tuto or clues to play bluray's from external device ?

I user my Raspberry Pi 3

I have already succeded with an older version of Kodi..

Today even if I update the Keydb on a new Kodi Lea version... It says "Disk Encrypted"

Could you please help ?

Thanks in advance

• I Have found the answer...

So With an Uptadated Keydb and Makemkv script it's possible to play most of Bluray's connected to an external Bluray Player on your Raspberu Pi 3b+

But : It's laggy

And the rasp seems to overheat