Recommended Rockchip SOC?

• Official Post

Perhaps the Rock64 would be a better choice.. I'm beginning to get the impression that RK3399 will run too hot for LibreElec or other Linux distros with these smaller cases. What are the currently recommended rockchip SoC for 4k60fps?

If you have not yet chosen anything, today I tested Magicsee N6 Max RK3399 (4\32) with the latest version of LE. Everything is working - wired LAN, WiFi, BT, remote control. Start Linux (Armbian) - overall impression from speed work-positive. Neither of which retards when run from SD card.

• If you have not yet chosen anything, today I tested Magicsee N6 Max RK3399 (4\32) with the latest version of LE. Everything is working - wired LAN, WiFi, BT, remote control. Start Linux (Armbian) - overall impression from speed work-positive. Neither of which retards when run from SD card.

balbes 150, thank you for your input, I know I did not start this thread but I too have been looking for a new box, after buying both the x99 and the Vero 4K+ and after buying a 4K TV my chromebox is a bit outdated for 4K, that said, I am not confident enough to test a Magicsee N6 Max RK3399, since like the x99 I did not see a img for the x99 (rk3399) here specifically for the x99 or the Magicsee N6 Max RK3399. So with just this thread and a couple of posts here and there I think I will test RockPro64, I will purchase the following:

1. ROCKPro64 Premium Aluminum Case
    2. ROCKPro64 Slim Profile Graphene Heat Sink
    3. ROCKPro64 board
    4. 12V/5A Power Supply (US Plug) and a
    5. High Performance eMMC Module, I think that should do it. If anyone has anything to add, would truly appreciate any input.
  • If anyone has anything to add, would truly appreciate any input.

I own a Rock64. I'm a 1080p guy so that suited my needs.

The ROCKPro64 4GB board designated as LTS (long Term Supply) model, PINE64 committed to supply at least for 5 years until year 2023 and beyond.

Ask Magicsee the same question on long term supply ??

Maybe 1 week, 1 month, 1 year

Maybe N6 is a slow seller.

Sorry , no longer available.

Chinese Business Model.

They've also been known to chop and change hardware components on the same model.

Good luck with that business model.

Pine 64 choice is a No Brainer.

• Starting from scratch and mostly concerned with libreelec? I would look at the rockpi4 since there is an available dtb for libreelec and it uses PD for power and has rpi form factor.

However I chose the "nanopi m4" since there never was a rockpi 4 at the time. It too is Rpi form factor. It offers a very nice big heatsink. Which works even better if you use a copper shim vs the native thermal pad. It has milled screw holes everywhere for it to easily be mounted inside just about anything. But it uses non PD usb-c for power. So a little lacking if overclocking. It can be challenging most recommend a very short usb-c cable to combat 5v droop.

But the clencher at the time for me? They previewed a upcoming "sata hat" which just now became available. Small, convenient, fairly cheap "sata hat" which also swaps power over usb-c to now a shared barrel 12v. While adding 4x sata ports with 4 pin molex power for upto 4 x 3.5 inch drives. That was the clencher for me. Now its just a waiting game for shipping.

• thank you for your input, I know I did not start this thread but I too have been looking for a new box, after buying both the x99 and the Vero 4K+ and after buying a 4K TV my chromebox is a bit outdated for 4K, that said, I am not confident enough to test a Magicsee N6 Max RK3399, since like the x99 I did not see a img for the x99 (rk3399) here specifically for the x99 or the Magicsee N6 Max RK3399. So with just this thread and a couple of posts here and there I think I will test RockPro64, I will purchase the following:
    ROCKPro64 Premium Aluminum Case
    ROCKPro64 Slim Profile Graphene Heat Sink
    ROCKPro64 board
    12V/5A Power Supply (US Plug) and a
    High Performance eMMC Module, I think that should do it. If anyone has anything to add, would truly appreciate any input.

If you have a task, only watching videos via LE (and running Linux for a normal user), it is better to use the TV box. This is optimal in terms of costs and results. But if you plan to use this device for development or you will need additional options That dy boards have, then the choice of TV box is not justified.

To run LE on TV box you can try this version.

https://yadi.sk/d/ie_dx5x_w2xuiq

Please note that you need to use the correct DTB for proper operation. As part of your image there are a few DTB and you can try all of these files. To specify which DTB option to use , edit the file "/boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf" (specify the name of the DTB file).

p.s.

Can be not to pay attention on name images. These are universal images.

• balbes 150, thank you for your input, I know I did not start this thread but I too have been looking for a new box, after buying both the x99 and the Vero 4K+ and after buying a 4K TV my chromebox is a bit outdated for 4K, that said, I am not confident enough to test a Magicsee N6 Max RK3399, since like the x99 I did not see a img for the x99 (rk3399) here specifically for the x99 or the Magicsee N6 Max RK3399. So with just this thread and a couple of posts here and there I think I will test RockPro64, I will purchase the following:

1. ROCKPro64 Premium Aluminum Case
    2. ROCKPro64 Slim Profile Graphene Heat Sink
    3. ROCKPro64 board
    4. 12V/5A Power Supply (US Plug) and a
    5. High Performance eMMC Module, I think that should do it. If anyone has anything to add, would truly appreciate any input.

Not sure where your ordering from but you may want to consider ordering the wifi/bluetooth module at the same time as its pretty cheap and you might end up actually wanting it. While i am constructing my own linux distro i have been checking out a couple of Libreelec builds that actually work quite well. 1 was a precompiled build from the site here and the other i built from balbes github.

Since wed night i have had it pretty much continually streaming movies from my local san cluster. I created a cue made up of a wide variety of movie sizes and formats and not had a single lockup yet. I have not put my board in a case but the normal finned metal heat sync without a fan seems to hold up just fine.

• If you have not yet chosen anything, today I tested Magicsee N6 Max RK3399 (4\32) with the latest version of LE. Everything is working - wired LAN, WiFi, BT, remote control. Start Linux (Armbian) - overall impression from speed work-positive. Neither of which retards when run from SD card.

hello balbes150 - which image did you use for the Magicsee N6 RK3399? (there's 5 showing on LE's download page for rockchip.) or did you build one from scratch? (if so, do you have a cheatsheet/script to build that?) thanks in advanced!

• hello balbes150 - which image did you use for the Magicsee N6 RK3399? (there's 5 showing on LE's download page for rockchip.) or did you build one from scratch? (if so, do you have a cheatsheet/script to build that?) thanks in advanced!

This option is not official, so it is not on the LE download site. The universal image is at the link above. To build it, I use my own version of GIT with additional patches.